1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by padam, Apr 20, 2018.
Tags:
First

Back
39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48
50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59
Next

Last
  1. formyears
    have the 009s with the d10 easy listening, very portable - fill in until I get a not so portable amp.

alan967tiger likes this.
  2. formyears
    IMG_0116.jpg

3. mrtim6
    Hi Formyears are you using your Sony Walkman as a source into the Sony TA-Z1ES into the D10?

4. formyears
    yes I use the Walkman a45 w/ Z1 and audio out to the d10, also a45 audio to d10 and usb from PC/laptop/Macs as well. all sound good, the Z1x has same ess dac as d10. only hires 24b flac and a few dsds. I also have tried my older DVD Audio player and PCM/DSD recorder which don't sound as good as I expected.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  5. Hi-Fi-Apricity
    So I have recently gotten the 009S and am using it with a 353X. Its a very resolving extremely capable combo as far as technical ability goes. Absolutely wonderful staging and imaging and top notch treble reproduction. I came from an L700 and branching from that I have one complaint. The 009S paired with the 353X lacks body comparatively and seems harder to drive. Does anyone know if the KGSSHV Carbon can fix the 'thin' mid-range balance and lack of heft in the low end? Thanks for the help!

6. koven Contributor
    Yup, KG amps are night and day better than Stax amps.

7. Velomane
    I'm only eight hours into my 009S/KGSSHV Carbon combo. Mids are where they should be and no such thing as lack of heft in the bass. This is after listening to my typical classical, rock, jazz selection. I'm listening to Beck's "Sea Change" as I write this...bliss!

8. Hi-Fi-Apricity
    What amp did you come from?

9. Velomane
    I'm not sure what you're asking. The amp was built by fellow head-fi guy loligagger. This is my first and only estat amp.

10. mulveling Contributor
    Carbon and 009S are an excellent combo. It will improve bass impact a great deal - that's one of the Carbon's best attributes, and I think only the DIY T2 can beat it there. The 009 and 009S will beat out an L700 in all attributes on this amp. The L700 has a nice little bit of bloom to its bass, which I think helps it sound more whole on lesser amps. The L700 will also do quite well on the Carbon, but I felt that combo was just a little too aggressive and bright.

jbrownson and HoloSpice like this.
  11. Hi-Fi-Apricity
    Thanks much! I see a carbon in my future! (I'm a solid state sorta lad)

12. sinkr
    Same here. I didn't want to get into upgrade-itis and tube rolling on the BHSE variants. I have the Carbon CC and I absolutely adore it, however, it is the first an only electrostatic amp I've heard, so I have no comparison, except against dynamic rigs, but you can't go wrong with the Carbon, IMO.

13. Whitigir
    Yes
    Yes

Also don’t forget Grounded Grid

Jones Bob likes this.
  14. purk Contributor
    Why not use the Walkman to feed the D10 digitally? Just find the Walkman digital cable and let the ESS9018 in the D10 do all the work.

15. formyears
    could not get the wmport to usb c micro to work. tried a otg cable. noluck

First

Back
39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48
50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59
Next

Last