Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem?
Aug 5, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #856 of 928
Thanks to John Hang and the others for the detailed instructions above.
I have not disassembled my 009's, and could not tell that the mesh is metal.
Does an ear cup have the same mesh on the inside (i.e, what John discussed) and the outside?
Could someone also publish how to remove the outside mesh?
Has anyone listened to the 009s with the meshes removed by the dustscreens still in place?
I am thinking that such operation could be used WITH GREAT CAUTION.

Aug 20, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #857 of 928
Crap. I am starting to hearing a scratching static noise on my right side now...I did leave it out without the dust cover in the new apartment since I couldn't find the dust cover after the move...

:frowning2:

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #858 of 928
Interesting, now I wondered the same about washing away the Electro static coating. The pictures are confirmed to be only the dust screen being washed. Anyways, isn’t the dust screen microporous? Even a bit of water (humidity) getting inside would damage the driver.

My question would be that if the dust screen has trapped some dust like shown, what would one do to clean it up ? Just curious

Jun 11, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #859 of 928
Hi All, my 4yrs old 009 right driver exhibit lower vol once around 6mths since I owns it. I do not know what happen and just desperately lower tap it few time with my palm and suddenly it just return to normal volume. Maybe possible that some dust got trap there and tapping it dislodge it.

So maybe before doing something drastic like dismantling or washing it maybe can just tap it first.

Hope my experience can help anyone.

cheers

ck

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #860 of 928
Hi here, is this still a problem. I'm planning to buy a used 009 said to be almost mint condition (for $2700) kept in the box for most of the time. Would I expect the issue will happen to the unit after several years?

Spending this kind amount of coins leaves me very worried if this kind of issue will happen after several months or years :frowning2:

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #861 of 928
Hi here, is this still a problem. I'm planning to buy a used 009 said to be almost mint condition (for $2700) kept in the box for most of the time. Would I expect the issue will happen to the unit after several years?

Spending this kind amount of coins leaves me very worried if this kind of issue will happen after several months or years :frowning2:

It is still an issue but it is difficult to say if it happens over time, or if you'd just get a bad unit right out of the gates. Both seem to happen unfortunately.

I took the risk, but if you don't want to then you can consider the SR-007 which is much more reliable.

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #862 of 928
Yes, this is still an issue. I purchased a pair last April and didn’t have the problem. I didn’t really use it much, since I was traveling. But noticed the channel imbalance in March. Mine was fixed under warranty. They replaced the driver units. Now it sounds fine. But who knows how long they will last though.

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #863 of 928

If you do consider it, maybe you could ask the seller to video record it to confirm that it is not having any problems before delivery. Doesn’t solve your post purchase worry but better than getting DOA.

Good luck with your purchase.

Sep 1, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #864 of 928
If you are worried, I would buy new from a dealer. Only way....

Sep 1, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #866 of 928
This can be a perfect argument on why electrostatic headphones sucks. Even planars falls into this category. Cough LCD-2 and LCD-3.

Also with electrostatic headphones. You Have to treat them like a baby. Covering them up. Have dry hair. Make sure your room is dust free. Make sure its not too hot or too cold. Have a nonsense 10k amp to sound its best.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #867 of 928
This can be a perfect argument on why electrostatic headphones sucks. Even planars falls into this category. Cough LCD-2 and LCD-3.

Also with electrostatic headphones. You Have to treat them like a baby. Covering them up. Have dry hair. Make sure your room is dust free. Make sure its not too hot or too cold. Have a nonsense 10k amp to sound its best.

This is some SJW triggering moment's for electrostatic :)

You will rarely hear about an HD600/650/HD800 or Utopia driver dying!! And HD800 will be going down in the history books as one of the greatest for sure. Dynamic for the win.

It's not like every electrostat has channel imbalance. The SR-007A/MK2 is very reliable, you'll rarely hear about those dying. And Stax has some very reliable driver designs dating back decades, look how many old Stax headphones are circulating the used market.

[Edited by mod]
Electrostats do not require that (as described above) level of baby-ing. They just require a little more thought in looking after them but no obsessive care required.
[/End of mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #868 of 928

This is some SJW triggering moment's for electrostatic :)

Maybe, but I would rather ride and enjoy a Ducati than ride around on a Vespa 90 because it goes on forever.....

You will rarely hear about an HD600/650/HD800 or Utopia driver dying!! And HD800 will be going down in the history books as one of the greatest for sure. Dynamic for the win.

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #869 of 928
There is no argument, you compromise some of this for some more of that. There is no headphones that can sound so open, so balance with so many details like Stax, ofcourse it is designed in a way to maximize performances and the physical body is designed to the best reliability that can be. However, it nature is that it will require proper maintenances. So, if you neglect to keep it and maintained it, ofcourse it breaks down.

Why do people love Ferrari? Lamborghini? Well, because they are fast, and very real street legal race car. Does it mean that you should haul your furniture in it ? Carry ply wood to a construction site? And use 1 kind of W40 oil all year and all seasons ? Nope! You do these common things in a Ford F-150, and you use the Lamborghini on a Saturday night date, with oil change every season, and engine prime every day eventhough you are not driving it.

Everything has it own purposes, and there is nothing wrong with ES, there are very ancient ES such as Omega that is being sold for more than 20k and still working. The same as Orpheus. It is all depend on how it was kept and maintained.

So, you are saying a 10k amp is nonesenses for Stax ? I bet you haven’t seen the pricing for HD800S Dynamic high-end Amps ? The bad things is that there are ocean of them, and so there is no king! As soon as there is a King, the next year he get dethroned. You can keep on rolling around to find that perfect amp.

Now, Stax with T2 DIY may cost 10k, but it is still cheaper than some dynamic amps out there, and it has been king for....whenever Stax or KG come out with newer model. The last time I recalled, it is the king for a decade already. Worth it ? Totally!

IMO, going to the top of Stax has only 1 route, where as HD800S has rabbit holes and you can easily deplete all your fund before you ever reached that top. Should I be going around in a Maze and drained out ? Or should I head straight to the top with a lot more in reserves? The answer is clear to me. Also, in my opinion, Stax is the best when properly setup.

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #870 of 928
Why is ES so effected by the energizer ? Because headphones has only electrodes and membranes. The mechanism to drive the Headphones is the amplifier/energizer itself, from bias to signals driven to amplifications of the signals

Planers and dynamic driving mechanism is Neo-magnetism. Has it been improved upon ? No clues, but magnet is magnet, and so amplifiers for dynamic and planers will affect the headphones less as it has only 1 job, amplifying the signals

Users who are viewing this thread

Back