Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem?
Sep 10, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #797 of 928
  Is there no one in North America that can provide repair for Stax ? I know there is at least one guy in UK does this (expensive, but at least it is available).

I guess their strict repair policy worked...At this point, I definitely regret not spend another 1.5k to get a new pair from US distributor.  
This thing is basically a ticking financial time bomb that might burn a small hole in your wallet.

If it is made in China, I am sure people will be all over it about how ****ty the quality is, but made in Japan somehow gives this thing a special 'not-my-fault, sucks to be a fanboy with money to burn' status...

For any wine drinkers out there, doesn't this remind you the whole white burg premox thing ? Clearly, producers have a quality issue, but the demand is still strong, then you have ppl pouring bottle after bottle expensive wine down the drain...

I once again don't understand why people don't look into things before they just put themselves all-in. 

Is the one guy in UK authorized - please provide context to your thoughts.

Stax have been making electrostatic headphones for a very long time. They also have a very reliable track record with their products regarding longevity.
Yes, the 009's seem to slip and we still don't have answers for the "high" failure rates. 

I still don't see the 009's being too high risk. 

Still, in the end, do your homework. Understand the risks - understand the penny pinching aspect of "grey market." Assume those risks.

Don't like it, buy something else.

Sep 10, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #798 of 928
Well, not every purchase decision made by people is always well researched. I always like the sound and always under the impression of Stax has a reputation of high quality and longevity. So, I jumped on it without enough research. I wouldn't call this all-in, I didi't take a loan to buy it. It is not pocket change, but nothing to lose sleep over.

Is this my own fault ? Definitely. However, it doesn't change the fact Stax as a business has quality issue on their flagship item and I find it annoying, regardless the sales channel.

You are right. I will not buy a Stax product again. But, I still want to find a resolution

PS: Not sure the UK's guy is authorized or not. Just heard it from someone who had a good experience of getting his 009 fixed.

Quote:
  I once again don't understand why people don't look into things before they just put themselves all-in. 

Is the one guy in UK authorized - please provide context to your thoughts.

Stax have been making electrostatic headphones for a very long time. They also have a very reliable track record with their products regarding longevity.
Yes, the 009's seem to slip and we still don't have answers for the "high" failure rates. 

I still don't see the 009's being too high risk. 

Still, in the end, do your homework. Understand the risks - understand the penny pinching aspect of "grey market." Assume those risks.

Don't like it, buy something else.

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #800 of 928
I wouldn't lose sleep over the direct from Japan versus north American reseller. There was a fellow (tmoney I believe) who had a bad driver out of warranty and the repair cost from stax usa/yamas was higher than the price of a brand new pair from Japan.

Wow, that's hard to believe -- but if accurate, then there's no way I'd buy through a USA dealer at a premium, unless the distributor changes. Anyways, between my friend Purk and I we've got 3 pairs of PJ 009's now crossing the 4, 2, and 1.5 year marks with no issue. I don't value a 2-year warranty as much as I value getting decent out-of-warranty support for non-gouging prices (unlike most headphones, the 009 are actually worth keeping for more than 2 years). Distributors like this make the grey market thrive. 

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #802 of 928
My own experience about 4 years ago with getting a quote to replace arced and blown 007 drivers (not by me) was around $2300 from yamas. I politely thanked them and said "I would think about it".

You are indeed a very polite person! I think I'll continue to avoid doing any business that involves Yamas.

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #803 of 928
My own experience about 4 years ago with getting a quote to replace arced and blown 007 drivers (not by me) was around $2300 from yamas. I politely thanked them and said "I would think about it".

Good news George...Plurison is the Canadian dealer now for Stax and I've found them quite good to deal with. I bought a back up pair of ear-pads from them and they were most responsive and easy to deal with (unlike like you know 
wink.gif
).

Sep 11, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #810 of 928
I have used FromJapan.  I had a new 007 Mk2 with the driver imbalance unfortunately...took a 2-3 months to show up if memory serves me.  Shipping was expensive back and forth, but I received a brand new pair that fortunately has not been problematic over the last year plus.  I still came out ahead even with the shipping vs buying domestically.  It was a PITA having to deal with it, but so would have doing it domestically....packing and shipping is packing and shipping.  What I do recommend is use a good payor that supports its customers (e.g. Visa, AmEx, PayPal) so you have leverage and keep all your documentation.

I much rather see posters be communicative about their problems.  I don't understand the whole fanboy approach to defending a company that happens all too often here, especially with the brands that endear themselves to users (Schiit is the worse I have seen).  The more info we have, the better we are as a community.  I personally think i's ******** that the number of ear speakers manifesting with the imbalance is what it is.  There is a quality issue that can't be chalked up to rounding IMO, and setting the bar low by comparing to say Hifiman is just that...setting the bar low.

HS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back