Stax SR-009: Best Headphone Ever Made? - Head-Fi TV, Episode 008
Mar 14, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #316 of 423
Eric :) 
Thank for my avatar, even if it is not too topicality : ) 
Arnaud is also very loyal : ) 

You not, with your Wee 
mad.gif
 :p

Me, I will definitely continue my madness with a DAC X1T, as soon as the opportunity presents itself :p

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #317 of 423
  Eric :) 
Thank for my avatar, even if it is not too topicality : ) 
Arnaud is also very loyal : ) 

You not, with your Wee 
mad.gif
 :p

Me, I will definitely continue my madness with a DAC X1T, as soon as the opportunity presents itself :p

It is true, the RKV amp + Wee (used only for the Wee, to generate the bias voltage 580 Volts DC for the SR-009) is an infidelity to Stax. 

It was initially a choice to wait pending the future amplifier output Stax 'T2 like' that I would have bought eyes closed for my 009; However, I have a little fear of having to wait very long before the release of this hypothetical Stax amplifier very high end.

In the meantime, after comparison, I do not regret this passage from the 727 at the RKV (in direct use), but at the price of listening limited level under 100 dB SPL, which is, in practice, beneficial for my old ears.
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #318 of 423
My opinion in a nutshell:

1. I heard the abyss under pretty nasty conditions (who in his right mind uses an ipod line out to drive a Lau/abyss pair?). As expected, it was thus meh at best.

2. Apparently, I failed to read the noticed when I tried it, was trying to make a seal but there was no way to adjust the system for that to happen (I must be falling outside the average population head size the can was designed for).

3. I find the can ugly looking and too expensive for me to consider it a complement to my rig (considering I'd also need to get an amp...). Maybe the lower models coming will be more attractive to me (but I just don't imagine myself with two full blown amps at home though).

4. My listening impressions are likely skewed because I had (and still have to some extent) strong reservations against various part of the design including the single stator, light damping applied to orthos (i just don't like many of what I feel are "underdamped" orthos that have been released in the past year, alpha dog before the mod, lcd-x for instance ). Some people refuse to hear about objective stuff, I probably read too much into theories and measurements
wink.gif

5. Let's face it, I seem to be an incurable stat fanboy. I have been swayed by the stat sound for a few years now. The 009 has put a damper on my headphone quest, except for portable gear maybe. I don't perceive the lack of body some find with it and absolutely crave the resolved, low distortion sound and natural voices & treble. I have an omega 2 mk1 when the mood strikes for different / warmer sound. Really, there's limited room for another product.

My comment on the 009 being out of fashion over on the french forum was just humour, maybe that was not very good joke eric
wink.gif

Hi Arnaud,

Well, in the end, Arnaud,  what amp do you think buy when replacing, one day, of your trusty Stax SRM-727 amp for your Stax headphone SR-009 and 007-mk1 ? 

Do you think acquire a BHSE or an Electra (with tubes that go well with)? or so remain "loyal" to Stax, and wait, pending the release of an very high-end (hypothetical) Stax 'T2 like' amp ?

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #320 of 423
  And you Eric : )
I have no doubt of RKV, but considering you ?, for example, moving to a tube amp as the 007TII? 
I know he was much maligned, yet I prefer, for example, widely my SRMT1 to my SRM1 MK2 PRO who have the coast.

Hi Jonathan,

I don't have a good impression, both subjective and objective, of the Stax SRM-007 T2 amp used with the Stax SR-009 headphone. 
This Stax amplifier tubes, although very fine and defined, missing for me of life and dynamism. 

I prefer  clearly the SRM-727 II amp (more dynamic), and even more the RKV amp, especially in direct mode for the latter, without the Wee transformers connected  (because less colorful, more transparent, and even more dynamic) with a presence, an transparence and an incredible life.

links

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post177548954.html#p177548954
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post177550065.html#p177550065

http://www.head-fi.org/t/681814/amplifiers-shootout-for-stax-009-eddie-current-electra-audiovalve-rkv-wooaudio-wee-stax-srm727-srm007t2

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #322 of 423
  And try another tube amp, does not tempt you ?

For my 009, if Stax does not come out someday a 'T2 like' amp (probably with tubes), maybe I interested me one day on a BHSE with tubes Psvane EL34PH (fashionable currently
wink.gif
), although my current system (with tubes), with RKV amp in direct mode OTL, agrees me very well (apart from this limitation of amplification gain, sometimes (but rarely) embarrassing for some old CD recorded with a low level).

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #324 of 423
  It's look great, by against deadlines are super long: /

BHSE?
It's true, this is a nice amp (just like the headphone Stax SR-009); aesthetically speaking, the two go well together.
Ali Pacha dream it
wink.gif
 ; the advantage of long time order, is that it leaves enough time to make the necessary savings to pay the balance of the order at the time of delivery.

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #328 of 423
  Pity that it was not a BHSE amp during the meeting of headphones of Paris this March 15, because it does not appear to have been at the feast the 009 of Pierre with its 727 amp compared to the competition......
biggrin.gif

I had however warned Arnaud of my fears concerning selected amplifiers...

The 727 is really not bad : ) 
The amps who make really thanks to 009 are not European, so he does not meet the standards of Europe, so it's hard, to see banned for a proffessional to propose on the french market or in an official meeting : )

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #329 of 423

The amps who make really thanks to 009 are not European, so he does not meet the standards of Europe, so it's hard, to see banned for a proffessional to propose on the french market or in an official meeting : )

Only at low sound volume (with the headphone Stax SR-009 more demanding in amplification than the headphones Stax Lambda).

The RKV, the Electra, and probably also the BHSE and T2 amp are better.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #330 of 423

This is true.

What we can apparently conclude about this meeting of headphone in Paris from March 15, it is the Abyss with the AudioValve RKV mK3 amplifier seems to have been most appreciated that the Stax headphone SR-009 with the amplifier Stax SRM-727, in direct comparison.

One nuance however, Igor (sound engineer) present at this meeting, although he preferred the Abyss to the Stax, noted an treble a little indented (attenuated) from the Abyss compared with the Stax and its reference system based on his studio speakers (ultra equalized) which deformed a little the tone (timbre) of violin (not perfectly respected). The strong point of the Abyss for him being the (spectacular) spatialization and the depth of its bass.

PS: In my opinion, Igor, as sound engineer, will keep his headphone Stax SR-202 for his nomadic sound records for a solid reason, is that it is (Stax SR-202) 15 times less expensive than the Abyss... (and surely much more convenient to use on the ground 
wink.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back