Stax SR-009: Best Headphone Ever Made? - Head-Fi TV, Episode 008
Jul 4, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #125 of 423

Quote:

Probably was referring to price =P.

Yes, I was. I've heard a pair of 007's on a Blue Hawaii, I'm sorry it wasn't even close, I'd say the biggest drawback is the soundstage/imaging.

I'm not saying headphones are bad, but if you have the room (and understanding neighbors) I feel speakers are better at copying a live performance/source, and isn't that what its all about?

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #126 of 423
Quote:
Yes, I was. I've heard a pair of 007's on a Blue Hawaii, I'm sorry it wasn't even close, I'd say the biggest drawback is the soundstage/imaging.

I'm not saying headphones are bad, but if you have the room (and understanding neighbors) I feel speakers are better at copying a live performance/source, and isn't that what its all about?

Not really, the music I listen to is mostly synthetic(?) anyway, so there aren't any rules or expectations in how it should sound live.

I just prefer the presentation of sound that a headphone can deliver, I also fully accept that headphones can never sound like speakers or a live performance because of the goofy soundstage and lack of visceral impact.

I view the sound through headphones as a completely different experience, and not some sort of compromise to speakers or live sound.

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #128 of 423

Quote:
Speaker rigs can fetch 200k USD?!
(I feel like an idiot)

http://www.higherfi.com/spkrlist/speakerlist.htm

eek.gif

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #129 of 423
Great review Jude. I nodded vigorously in agreement throughout, particularly every time you mentioned the word 'details.'
wink.gif
I have had my pair for a few weeks and am just blown away by the resolving power of these headphones. I had no idea such information was even available on a typical Redbook recording.

Another key term I think is transparency. There is a lot  to subjective interpretation, but I feel these are by far the least colored headphones I have ever heard. I personally feel the LCD2s, HD800s, O2s all have distinct voices in comparison.

Somehow, this extreme resolution and transparency does not mean these cans are only useful for high end recordings of classical and acoustic music. No doubt those recording are stunning and allow the 009s to shine at their best, but almost all of the rock, funk, new wave, soul, and alternative tracks that dominate my library sound better than they ever have. I occasionally wish for a little more euphonic distortion of the signal to help out lesser recordings, but mostly I don't. And, I will be keeping my D7000s around for that. Everything else will go. These are The One for me. Woot woot!

Oh, and here is my office rig that I am using them most with:

Lossless files off a Mac: Stock PS Audio DLIII: SRM-323S: 009s

If there is improvement to be had by moving up to a better digital source or one of the high end boutique Stax amps, these babies will show it. Maybe someday I will invest in another amp; however, as it stands, the rig above is *extremely* satisfying and bests all of the very high end source/amp/phones combos I have ever tried by a significant margin. They are a bit cheaper here in Japan, but the financial hit I am taking is going to be significantly lessened as it allows me to clean out most of my dynamic gear not to mention the list of phones that I would like to try has shrunk from about a dozen to zero. The hunt is over.

To address a couple of other points...

Speakers vs. Phones?
Sure, I like speakers better but can't set up a sweet speaker rig in my office where I am able to do most of my music listening. Also, the listening experience with headphones is different and has it's own unique charms.

Improved Listening Pleasure?
I can be thoroughly engrossed watching the Matrix on a laptop, but there are some extra layers of enjoyment added by moving up to a 50" hi def plasma panel and a Bluray player. There is more to music than just a beat and catchy lyrics, the beauty of the instruments or voice and masterful producing can be a source of pleasure as well, much more so through capable transducers. Listening to different high end phones and speakers have taught me to appreciate high fidelity reproduction of music. I can enjoy less, but I am happy to have that extra layer.

Not everyone will feel this way, but no headphones have touched my ears that are as emotional engaging and analytically rewarding as these.

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #130 of 423
This would make for a good discussion in October at the FujiyaAvic show *hint* *hint*. 
o2smile.gif

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #131 of 423
How about the distance between the earspeaker pads and your ears?  Is there any scratch or scraffing of your ears to the earspeaker elements as there is with the SR007s? 

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #132 of 423
Jude, how come you didn't mention that the new SR009s can always be used with the Stax SRM007t or SRM007ta headphone amp; afterall these are the amps made by the same company???????

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #133 of 423
Money and Expense is a relative term. $5000 for a headphone might be a lot to one person and not to another.  How about $5000 for cigarettes a year?  or $5000 for car expenses instead of taking public transportation and contributing to the well being of the environment.  It is all just a matter of how the buyer wants to sacrifice. 

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #134 of 423
Those sellers who are offering the Orpheus Headphones and Amps for $30,000 should be ashamed of themselves.  They know that they only paid $14,000 for it new. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back