1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Stax SR-009: Best Headphone Ever Made? - Head-Fi TV, Episode 008

Discussion in 'Head-Fi Network & Industry News' started by jude, Jun 28, 2011.
First

Back
18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
  1. georgeaweezy

Ah great, thank you mate. The mystery is solved :)
    I figured that the pressure lock would help increase the base dB so it wasn't actually a bad thing. Just wasn't sure whether chewing could damage the driver by putting _too_ much pressure on it. Guess not. Thanks for your reply Music Alchemist.

2. HiAudio

thanks.

that's funny.

3. polton
    950 S is a 5 meters extension cable 

4. polton
    hello

i'm a new happy owner 
    i own(ed) a 507 before
    what an upgrade! incredibly fantastic! far from my dreams 

5. Darien
    No the HD650s are the best headphones ever made and they will still be the best headphones ever made when the sr009 gets replaced by another model.

6. Music Alchemist

I'm just going to humor you here: In which ways does the HD 650 sound better to you than the SR-009?

7. ToroFiestaSol
    HD650 has velour pads, there's nothing better than velour pads.
    Oh, and the upgrades you can do to HD650...mmm +1000 usd cables and 5000usd tube amplifiers for a 300usd headphone...c'mon, you can't do that with Stax!!! (strong irony here)

132612945202613216060_earpad.jpg

All hail the god of headphones, Chuck Norris said velour pads and Sennheiser made the HD650

8. MacedonianHero Contributor
    He won't be answering you anytime soon. [​IMG] 

I have owned the HD650 and the only thing they did better than the SR009s was cost less. [​IMG] To be fair, I never really got into the HD650s way back when and though I've gone back to them several times in the past, I ended up preferring the HD600s to them.

9. Music Alchemist

I had an HD 650 too and thought it couldn't compare at all to the STAX SR-207.

MacedonianHero likes this.
  10. MacedonianHero Contributor

I agree there too with you.

11. lauren312
    The HD 650 is fulfilling my dream with high sound quality and reducing noise attraction. It is so nice headphones that I have ever used. I will buy another one for my brother.

12. Dirt McGirt
    You want the srm-007 to be 117v for the U.S.

13. Selbi
    [I hope it's okay to dig this topic out again, even if it's only 2-3 months old.]

This video makes me contemplate. Isn't owning insanely expensive gear "dangerous"? In a twisted way, once you reach a certain level and have gotten used to it, you will find that anything below that sounds like crap.

I remember when I stocked up from my 10€ headphones to 50€ ones and assumed it was the best sound there could ever be, until I bought 250€ headphones and suddenly realized that my 50€ are actually pretty damn lackluster as well. From where I stand right now, I cannot go back down again, because now I know what I'm "missing out" with my cheap headphones. So if my 250€ headphones were ever going to break, I simply couldn't pick anything that plays in leagues below it.

If I were to listen to STAX for a couple weeks now, like it was done in this video, wouldn't it just leave me craving to hear that incredible sound again? Instead I would be sitting here with headphones that cost a small fraction of the 10,000€+ one has to pay for STAX plus amp, knowing full well that I'm deluding myself into thinking my 250€ headphones are good.

To put it in one sentence: Can you get addicted to expensive HiFi gear?

14. arnaud Contributor
    Well, buying more expensivegear unlocks the pyschological barriers one sets in regards to price limit... we all did like you, I am afraid to say there is no return trip lol.
    On the other hand, don't fear you may be missing so much, the fun is also enjoying what you have...

15. astrostar59

Naa, don't agree. The enjoyment of good audio gear IMO totally pays back in the hours and hours of enjoyment you can get. Lets look at the cost of a car for example, 3 years later you sell it and want the next newer model. Yes there are upgrade obsessives but I have had some hifi gear for years going back to when I started this hobby, lot longer than a car last. I think it comes down to priorities. Most folk can cut back on something else divert some cash for a better setup.

There is a level of gear that pretty much ticks all the boxes. That level is very personal, and with care it doesn't need to bankrupt you. Plenty of advice and ideas on here for example. You can build a DAC or amp from a DIY group buy, there are DAC kits (tubed) which I have build in the past. Or buy used. Options.

IMO the bizarre aspect of high end headphone systems is the 'one person' aspect of it. It is not so much a sharing hobby lets face it. Yes 2 sockets on the amp bla boa, but how many of use really have the other half as involved to the same extent? I would put it myself at 10% use to my 90%. So that does leave a money issue right there, to justify a personal spend in a relationship.

Anyway, my thoughts. If you have the interest and the passion in music keep going is my advice.

First

Back
18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27