1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Stax SR-009: Best Headphone Ever Made? - Head-Fi TV, Episode 008

Discussion in 'Head-Fi Network & Industry News' started by jude, Jun 28, 2011.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Next

Last
  1. Nom de Plume
    You're discussing value; money and expense aren't relative.

Quote:

[​IMG] I wouldn't need to give a damn about living expenses in Korea for years with that amount of dough! 

Quote:

2. brat
    hmm... does anyone know what are the desktop speakers on Jude's desk??

3. Syan25
    I've also wondered about that - they look really nice but how do they sound - I expect good if Jude is using them

4. AuralRelations

Quote:

They look like Audio Engine A5's P4's.

5. Syan25
  6. Armaegis

Quote:

It's a tough life, but someone's gotta live it...

couple-convertible_008_029.jpg

7. AuralRelations
  8. Syan25
    So you've heard them?

9. wind016
    Quote:

If you save up and eat ramen for 3 years, would the price of the 009s have dropped or possibly more used 009 units available? If you have a headphone rig already, some of those costs of the 009 rig are already sunk costs. Time to put the plan in action and join the 009 crew in 3 years. For now, I'll just stick with the 007.

10. jax

Quote:

I've owned a pair of A5's which are the internally amped version of the P4.  The P4's performance will depend on what you hook up to them.  The A5's are internally amped (amp is only in one of the two speakers, unlike pro-audio monitors which have dedicated amps for each speaker, and require individual volume adjustment - Adam has a method to use a single volume knob to control the volume to two speakers/amps).  I can only speak for the A5 - They are OK, but not great.  They basically take the loose form of pro-audio monitors.  They do add some convenient features like putting the volume on the front, and in a single knob, they also have a usb power port on top for powering an iPod or other portable device.  Sound is good, but is easily bested by actual pro monitors (Adam, Genelec, JBL, Mackie,etc.).  IMHO, of course. 

11. Varley
    I love my A5's with a passion [​IMG]

12. Syan25
    I was thinking of the MR5s from Mackie - but i heard the bass was sub-standard. Not that I wanted bass - but that i just want good reference monitors - neutral and clean as a whistle.

13. Lunatique

Quote:

What's your budget? Mackie monitors aren't exactly respected in the more more critical segment of the pro audio community. If you are after truly reference quality monitors, you can do FAR better than Mackie.

14. jude Administrator
    The speakers in the videos are the Audioengine P4 (with bamboo chassis), powered by the Audioengine N22 desktop amplifier / headphone amplifier.  I'll be talking more about these (and another pair of small desktop speakers by Bowers & Wilkins) soon.

Syan25, you may want to start a separate thread (and/or see if there's an existing one on the topic to continue), so that we can keep this thread on track.  (I'll be paying attention to that discussion, too, as I'm also interested in the topic.)

15. ericohgb

Quote:

Dear Jude,
    Congrats on the review!
    Did the SR-009 you were testind present any ling of channel imbalance during your listening sessions?
    Regards,
    Erico

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Next

Last