STAX SR-007 OWNERS PLEASE HELP!
Jul 4, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #31 of 55
Kuma, Duggeh and Others

I am getting very confused.

Have you heard the SR 404's?

I have heard the SR 404/O2 comparison, but I have no idea how the 404's differ sonically from the other phones and the other phones from the Omega II's

Also, experienced Stax users might want to chime in about the strengths and weaknesses of the O2's as I have only heard the O'2 twice. What caught my attention is a prominant bass.

I am using the 717/404 now and have mixed feelings.

Jul 4, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane
Some of the comments here have really killed the buzz I was feeling about taking delivery tomorrow of my first venture in ‘stat territory, a SR-007/SRM717 system. Is this combo really that bad that one needs to empty the wallet on an ES1 or Blue Hawaii to get even passably good sound out of the OM2?

Heck, I'm enjoying my HE60s via the HEV70, despite the serious limitations in the amp.

The sad fact is most commercial electrostatic headphone amps are far from stunning. That's just something we have to live with.

Jul 4, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #33 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybar
Kuma, Duggeh and Others

I am getting very confused.

Have you heard the SR 404's?

I have heard the SR 404/O2 comparison, but I have no idea how the 404's differ sonically from the other phones and the other phones from the Omega II's

Also, experienced Stax users might want to chime in about the strengths and weaknesses of the O2's as I have only heard the O'2 twice. What caught my attention is a prominant bass.

I am using the 717/404 now and have mixed feelings.

When I first got my O2 i was blown away by the bass response, after living with the SR-202 for so long I thought that, on initial listening, Stax had sacrified detail and finesse in order to bring what really is just some SUPER BRILLIANT bass to an electrostatic.

They did no such thing. The O2 is just as, if not more detailed and resolving than the Lambda-Novas but adds to the experience that incredible bass which at firs seems dark or even muddy and quite overwhelming.

After a good listen you get used to it, realise just what a performer the O2 is, and when you go back to a Lambda, while you can still appriciate it, you might find yourself thinking, despite yourself, that its not enough for you, a bit too polite or thin, but lovely in a different way.

The O2 is a headphone experience in the same way that Disneyland is, while the Lambda-Nova is a visit to Cape Canaveral. Both fabulous experiences in the same sort of area, but both very different beasts.

Jul 5, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #35 of 55
If you are disappointed in your new Omega2 phones I will be shocked. I bet my SRX mk3, Previous Lamdas, Full Orpheus combo, AKG1000/Siltech wires, Senn 650s on that!
Great Great Phone, and nice amp.

Dan

Jul 5, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #37 of 55
I've used the 007t and the Omegas for about five years now...

I have a bunch of headphones ( see profile), but that combo is my favorite.

I guess we all hear things a little differently.

Take care,

Jul 5, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #39 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
A 'fones like a Stax or K1k, with an appropriate energiser, you can use any amplifiers, no?

That's the point of the transformer boxes, yeah.

Jul 5, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Then the choice for the amp is wider.
You are not stuck with *headfone* amps only.

Well direct-drive electrostatic amps aren't exactly "headphone amps" in the normal sense of the word. They're actually power amps with resisters added to the output stage to drop the current levels right down low. That's why they use so much power and put out so much heat.

Got to love the extra choices, whatever the case.

Jul 5, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #42 of 55
Quote:

An SRX impressed me the best so far!
They did not produce a wide stage like the Omega II did, but they were much more responsive and immediate. ( this is how I think electrostats should sound like )

Sounds like you've had the same experiences with the SRX I've had. With the right amp I've never heard anything else as immediate but at the same time so refined.

However, I would like aspects of the 404 as well...that extra 2/3 of an octave bass and the greater height of the soundstage as well as the greater resolution in the top octave.......

Jul 5, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #43 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane
Some of the comments here have really killed the buzz I was feeling about taking delivery tomorrow of my first venture in ‘stat territory, a SR-007/SRM717 system. Is this combo really that bad that one needs to empty the wallet on an ES1 or Blue Hawaii to get even passably good sound out of the OM2?

I totally agree with you, I am also looking for a after market, affordable (<usd 1000) solid state amp to drive those 007. Must it be tube amp to drive them?

All I really want is to get better performance than my little srm-001 which I found to be very nice for the money. As a newbie in the can world, I have no space to setup an ultra headphone rig. As a newbie in the can world, I think I have spent quite a bit already in the past 2 weeks. I have srm-313 with sr-404, then I read some dealers post on the internet, hoping for a more power, I bought the srm-717. Since I have the 717, I might want to upgrage to the omega2.

Jul 5, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by LS4ME
I totally agree with you, I am also looking for a after market, affordable (<usd 1000) solid state amp to drive those 007. Must it be tube amp to drive them?

McAlister?

Do you prefer tubes or transistors?

Jul 5, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #45 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
McAlister?

Do you prefer tubes or transistors?

I prefer solid state amp so that I do not have to deal with tube rolling and changing. I just found out about the McAlister EA-1, It seems affordable. How does it sound with the O2? What about the WOO electrostatic amp, how does it sound and what is the retail price? Any solid state recommendation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back