Stax SR-007 Omega II MK1 vs MK2 vs SR-009 ? (Making the jump into High End)
Oct 15, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #63 of 92
Hi there,

I have been presented with an opportunity to buy a used SR-007II Mk 1. I already have a Lambda Sig setup with the SRM006T. Will this do? The Omegas come with a SRM323s which I don't really want/need. TIA

May 8, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #64 of 92
I haven't spent much time with the MK1, but from what I've heard, it's a very nice headphone and will probably be my next electrostat.  I haven't done an A/B test, but it didn't sound as dark or bassy as the MK2.  The MK2 can easily sound muddy and congested without a quality signal chain, and is probably the most unforgiving headphone I've ever encountered.

Is the mk2 really unforgiving? I heard in general the 007s are very forgiving of poorly recorded tracks.

May 9, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #65 of 92
It's all relative. The mk1 (at least the early series) is more forgiving than mk2 (at least the early SZ3 model I had) because of difference in diaphragm and / or damping cover (e.g. the mk2 is brighter / less damped and that can make some problematic recordings a bit difficult to handle).

On the other hand, any Omega 2 model is mostly more forgiving than the current totl SR009. Although, personally I have less issue with the increased treble content of the 009 than with the slight treble resonances in the mk2 SZ3 that standout.

Overall, I'd say though the stats are very revealing so don't expect the same kind of forgiveness one can get from a koss porta pro :wink:.

It's all relative indeed!

May 10, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #67 of 92
Hello there,

I owned a SR007MKI and didn't like it with a KGSS. For it's just sound anemic, dull, veiled with a narrow soundstage. I prefer to it HD800, HE60, Lambda Nova Signature. I found him very overpriced.

Mar 20, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #69 of 92
  Hello there,

I owned a SR007MKI and didn't like it with a KGSS. For it's just sound anemic, dull, veiled with a narrow soundstage. I prefer to it HD800, HE60, Lambda Nova Signature. I found him very overpriced.

Actually the first time I heard the SR007Mk1s with the KGSS I finally understood what the raves were all about. Previously I've only heard them on Stax amps (SRM727II, 007t, 323S) and I always wondered what the hubbub was all about. Then I got to hear them on my old KGSS (HeadAmp build) and thought...wow, these are really good...now I get it. They certainly do kick up a few notches on the KGSSHV. I wouldn't bother with the LL, didn't impress me much.

The best I've heard them with though is the mighty T-2...simply outstanding.

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #70 of 92
Quote:Hun7er
  Hello there,

Did you try rotating the pads on the SR007MK1...?

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #74 of 92
Just purchased a SR-007 mk2, have been wondering why people have been so taken with the new L700 since it is so close in price to an SR-007 on ebay with just a few hundred dollars between them. The L500 I would understand as it is comparatively quite a bit cheaper. Anyway I'm pumped to own my first electrostat and finally hear all that stax liquid goodness.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back