Stax: SR 002 + Srm 002 and Srm 003 mk2 + Srm 003 impression and appreciation thread
Sep 28, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #511 of 781
  Morning folks, Bit of a shot in the dark, So please forgive the nooby question...

I've been out of the game for a while and just started listening to my portable gear again. Long story short, Ive been in hospital for a while and am now at home with a long recovery ahead of me.
I dont get to listen to my regular home gear that much so Im turning to my head-fi more and more while im stuck in bed.

I always hankered after a STAX system and I'm finally saving up for my first batch of gear lol.

My question is this.

If I buy the SR-002 or any of the other portable STAX systems, Would I be able to run a bigger set of STAX cans on it?

I have this idea of starting out with a STAX portable, Then upgrading to larger cans, Then eventually getting a desktop amp.

Sorry for rambling on or sounding like an idiot lol. Like I said, I'm a tad rusty on all the specs etc.

For your needs I think the SRS-005 system would be more appropriate. It comes with the SR-003 which is the full sized 5 pin Stax plug version of the 002, and SRM-252s which is not battery powered but is very small and uses a wall wart for power which should be manageable for a bedside amp. The amp can be used with any Pro Bias Stax earspeakers and should drive most of them quite nicely.

As h1f1add1cted said the SRM-002 amp isn't directly compatible with any other headphones besides the Stax portable IEM line. I have made an adapter for using full sized Stax on my SRM-002, but it's completely impractical because the 002 doesn't have the power to keep Lambda drivers stable so they sound awful. It kinda works with vintage Stax like the SR-X Mk3 and the SR-5, but requires an external normal bias source which only adds to the impracticality of it all. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #514 of 781
Any word about the prototype at ces2016?

No news.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631894/stax-sr-002-srm-002-and-srm-003-mk2-srm-003-impression-and-appreciation-thread/480#post_12530056

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #515 of 781
Which prototype is this?

This one one bottom: http://www.head-fi.org/t/631894/stax-sr-002-srm-002-and-srm-003-mk2-srm-003-impression-and-appreciation-thread/465#post_12238152

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #516 of 781
Will Stax legendary slow pace, I think even CES2017 might be a bit too optimistic
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #517 of 781
Answering my own qUestion, I already got
the multi voltage regulated adaptor and its working as intended. I think the sound really improved as its now sound very close to srs005s mk 2 setup..

Anyway the adaptor im using with has 650ma output, it produce more than twice the required 300ma input that stated at the srm-002 amp,, IM not an electric guy, but is it really good to use it For long duration or should I search for others?
I read the instruction manual and see the power consumption for the srm 002 when using adaptor is 4,5v/1,2A,
can anyone explain to me about why it is different?
Because if its really ok I want to experiment to use an adaptor with bigger current..
Well if no one care to explain I will try it anyway -__-

Thanks

since this is an expensive piece of system I wouldn't want to fry it. I think the big concern is you don't want to give it more than it can handle so it doesn't burn the units inside. The USB 2.0 specification is 5V and 500mA that is just above the required 4.5V and 300mA AC adapter specifications on the website https://www.staxusa.com/stax-srs-002.html

also you want a EIAJ-2 type connector which is 4mm x 1.7mm. I think you could threoritically get away by using a USB to EIAJ-2 cord for $0.99 on ebay 
take into account the impedance of the wire and the voltage and current will drop to below the USB specifications, some reviewers on ebay stated measuring 4.64V

the only thing I am not sure of it polarity? I hope its correct but I can't verify

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #518 of 781
  ... I think the big concern is you don't want to give it more than it can handle so it doesn't burn the units inside.

You want the power supply to have more output current than the circuit is drawing. More is harmless, less is however not - as the SRM-002 is only going to draw a maximum of what it needs and no more, even if the adapter is capable of outputting more. But if the adapter doesn't supply enough current to the SR-002, it will stress the adapter's internal and might end up frying the adapter, if not worst.

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #519 of 781
So are the SRM-003MK2 system pretty genre specific? I listen to a wide range of genres with more energetic genres like electronic and rock.

I've never heard an electrostatic and I'm thinking of starting here.

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #520 of 781
No. The baby stax sounds with every music genre just uncolored and clean + very detailed. If you like natural balanced airy sound signature then listen to the baby Stax if you can. This special electrostatic IEM can't compared to regular IEMs using dynamic or balanced amateur drivers, which have their own flavor and special good points, but in terms of 'just play purely music as it is' can't beat by the baby Stax.

Oct 23, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #521 of 781
They sound very good IMO, but they are not comfortable for listening sessions longer than 20-30 minutes from my experience.

I do enjoy that I can listen w/o a headband.

I use KG based amps so can't speak to them out of a Stax amplifier.

HS

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #522 of 781
I just received my new SRS-002 set, here are some photos, it reminds me with the old Sony walkman equipment the way the molding is done seems very well made, not too fancy. seems durable. This is the kind of unboxing if you will so you can see what comes in new box. My only worry is the USA dealer is not answering my calls so I doubt I will get any service if I need replacements, plus I ordered this from Japan and it says warranty only applicable in Japan. here comes the photos, hopefully more to come

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #523 of 781
Grea welcome to the club. I'd never heard so far with the ear phone itself serious glichtes, if your Stax driver unit has no issues (check low gain setting first) with high-frequency buzzing you will be have fun for the next couple of years enjoying music through the baby Stax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back