Stax SR-001 MK2 vs Etymotic ER-4S/P
Oct 27, 2002 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Uncledan

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

I had Stax SR-001 MK2 before, it sounds incredible, however I find it not very comfortable when I hear it over 1 hr, so I sold it at the end. Here is my question, how does Etymotic ER-4S/R sound compare with Stax SR-001? Is it comfortable then Stax SR-001? And what is the different between the model ER-4S and ER-4P?
I really want to get a great quality earphone for my daily use, b/c it is funny when you wear suit with a Sony V6 in subway.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Thank you

Oct 27, 2002 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
Hi all,

I had Stax SR-001 MK2 before, it sounds incredible, however I find it not very comfortable when I hear it over 1 hr, so I sold it at the end. Here is my question, how does Etymotic ER-4S/R sound compare with Stax SR-001? Is it comfortable then Stax SR-001? And what is the different between the model ER-4S and ER-4P?
I really want to get a great quality earphone for my daily use, b/c it is funny when you wear suit with a Sony V6 in subway.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Thank you

I had the Stax but I just sold them. While the mids are magical, the top end was too rolled off for my taste. Also, I found them uncomfortable with the headband; I had more luck using them without the headband.

The Ety 4P can be driven out of a portable; the 4S needs an amp. What is your source? Will you be using an amp with the Ety's? Also, you can get a 4P-->4S cable if you want to have the best of both worlds (I have the 4S's).

Overall, the Ety's are magical. Other than the AKG K-1000, they're my favorite phone. The Stax just don't come close. Also, I've never had a problem with comfort, either.

As always, you can never go wrong with the Ety's.

Oct 27, 2002 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 5
Usually I will use it for my CD walkman, therefore ER-4P is better for me. For the 4P->4S cable, does it really help the sound if I use it with my amp (MG-Head OTL)? Since it is $45, not cheap at all.

Last question, is www.headphone.com the only place can buy ER-4P?

Thanks all.

Oct 27, 2002 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
Usually I will use it for my CD walkman, therefore ER-4P is better for me. For the 4P->4S cable, does it really help the sound if I use it with my amp (MG-Head OTL)? Since it is $45, not cheap at all.

Last question, is www.headphone.com the only place can buy ER-4P?

Thanks all.

With an amp I would use the 4s.

HeadRoom is the best place to buy the Etys. They have a 30 day money back guarantee, so you have little to lose.

You can get the 4p to 4s cable from them, or from Fixup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back