Stax Sigma Pros-info needed
Nov 1, 2008 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bonemaster77

New Head-Fier
Just added a pair of Sigma Pros to my Lambda Nova Sigs running off an RRM-T1. I need some info.

There's a huge difference in the type/nature/color of sound between these 2. Can anyone provide or direct me to a source (the Stax product history website is not helpful here) that woulf tell me about the the elements that each uses and perhaps which headphones can be retrofitted with which newer/different elements?

Also, is it significant/has meaning that the 'cages' of the headset on the Sigmas are all black yet the leather-like piece over your head is brown as well as the cable (which, while 5 pin, is narrower than the cable of the L-Nova Sigs)?

Thanks in advance for any info or directions to other threads or sources.

Bonemaster77
Band Jazz forever

Nov 1, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonemaster77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just added a pair of Sigma Pros to my Lambda Nova Sigs running off an RRM-T1. I need some info.

There's a huge difference in the type/nature/color of sound between these 2. Can anyone provide or direct me to a source (the Stax product history website is not helpful here) that woulf tell me about the the elements that each uses and perhaps which headphones can be retrofitted with which newer/different elements?

Also, is it significant/has meaning that the 'cages' of the headset on the Sigmas are all black yet the leather-like piece over your head is brown as well as the cable (which, while 5 pin, is narrower than the cable of the L-Nova Sigs)?

Thanks in advance for any info or directions to other threads or sources.

Bonemaster77
Band Jazz forever

just found out on the big stax thread apparently the pro sigmas use the same drive as the lambda signatures - not the lns drivers. Also the thinner cable is due to their age as the new thicker cable was introduced later with the new lambda's etc afaik. The head pads are probably replacements i would guess.

Nov 1, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 4
The Sigma Pro's was introduced in 1987 so it shares parts with the original Lambda Signature i.e. same drivers, cable and arc assembly. The headpad is indeed brown and the brown cable is the older, thinner PC-OCC cable. The Wide PC-OCC cable wasn't introduced until 1993 with the SR-Omega and the LNS was introduced in 1994.

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 4
The differences in sound are only partly due to the driver differences. The application of the driver makes a huge difference, such that the same drivers would be nearly unrecognizable as the same if they were fitted to the LNS and Sigma Pro bodies. The Lambda Signature/Sigma Pro drivers had the 1.0 micron film in the drivers, whereas the LNS had the 1.5 micron film. I have an LNS as well as the Sigma/404 hybrid which uses the latest Lambda driver (used in the 404). It uses 1.35 micron film. Any Lambda Professional type Driver can be fitted to the Sigma Pro. According to Edstrelow and Spritzer (who are two of the few who have heard an original Sigma, a Sigma Pro and a Sigma/404), the Sigma/404 is the best of the lot. I compared an original Sigma and what it sounded like after it was modified by Yamasinc/Accutech (new 404 drivers and cable). The Sigma/404 is way better. I would guess the cable used on the Sigma Pro is equivalent to what is currently used on the 303, whereas the Omega, LNS, Omega 2 and 404 all use the same cabling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back