stax questions :)
Jul 17, 2001 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Phlosopher

New Head-Fier
Hi,
As I've entered the headphone world, I am beginning to get more and more curious about stax and their crazy products. I know that they will have an opposite sound to my Grados, but I don't have a place to audition them here in Oklahoma, so I was wondering:

1. how most people like them for casual listening (or whether they're used mostly for engineering)..

2. what kinds of music are they suited for? i.e., do those who listen to classical find them a pain to listen to because of the difficulty recording this genre?

3. Is there a marketplace for finding cheap used ones?

4. Is it okay to buy them used? If so, what models are good buys when used? I noticed that there are a couple of pairs on ebay that seem kind of old and I've heard that they haven't always been electrostatic? What's up with that?

5. How do the low end and older Stax setups sound? Should you not bother to buy one unless you want to go all out?

I know this is a buttload of questions....but I know that with everyone around here, there is enough knowhow for them to get answered
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2001 at 6:57 AM Post #2 of 8
I really can't answer your questions, but I'm bringing it back to the top so it doesn't go unseen.

Jul 18, 2001 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 8
can't really answer your questions either. I heard the Classic for a very short time, but it seems like they're very well suited for casual listening. They don't seem to punch and kick like Grado's do to draw your attention...

about that Stax has not always made electrostatics, they used to make electrets too. electrets are supposed to age faster IIRC. be sure to get electrostatics when buying used I guess. Might want to check Ebay or something.

I'm not so sure about the Basic System's value, as I don't think anyone has that one. When you're spending that kinda money, might be best to go Classic.

Electrostatics are by their nature a bit light in the bass area, you might not like that. I'd imagine they'll shred mediocre recordings and equipment to pieces, be sure your stuff is up to snuff!

Jul 21, 2001 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
Electrostatics are by their nature a bit light in the bass area, you might not like that. I'd imagine they'll shred mediocre recordings and equipment to pieces, be sure your stuff is up to snuff!

Actually, Stax's in general, and my old Lambda Pro phones in particular, put out wonderful bass, in quantity and in exquisite quality.

Electrostatic drivers in general have a reputation for being light in the bass: this is just wrong. They don't put out false bass. Taking Quad 63 speakers and Stax Lambda Pro headphones as a team, they were both characterized by a thundering lack of distortion (oxymoron intentional...) in the very low bass range. In fact, the two both illustrate a hard-to-produce Truth that few newer pieces can show today: there is such a thing as Bass Detail, as well as the obvious (to Grado lovers) treble detail...

Fifteen or so years ago, I bought Quad speakers, and discovered the above truth - excuse me, Truth. I was so impressed, I bought the Staxes. They met the headphone-relative expectation that the Quads had created.

Electrostatic drivers are Good...say it again, Gooood...

Jul 21, 2001 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 8
Hey, any technology used in the Orpheus can't be that bad
biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, these sound like they might sound like Etys, just without the "hear it but don't sense it" bass. I swear, Etys are the first dynamics to sound electrostatic (probably because their drivers have incredibly low mass, IIRC) (although that might just be me...)

Jul 21, 2001 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
... these sound like they might sound like Etys, just without the "hear it but don't sense it" bass. I swear, Etys are the first dynamics to sound electrostatic (probably because their drivers have incredibly low mass, IIRC) (although that might just be me...)

You're probably right. I haven't heard Etys, but I do suspect "hear it but don't sense it" bass is the lot of most headphone lovers....and I also suspect low-mass diaphragms explain low-distortion bass.

However, the Lambdas have a big low-mass diaphragm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back