Stax owners: How does it feel to go from a dynamic phone to a Stax setup?
Jul 16, 2005 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Joey_V

1000+ Head-Fier
I was looking at the Stax setups and I realized that they are within my reach (budget-wise). I really enjoy my HD650s but since I am thinking of downgrading my amp from the GS1 to the Glite... I can spare money for a second set of headphones.

How does the Stax 2020 or the 3030 sound?

Jul 17, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 22
COme on guys...

Jul 17, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
I was looking at the Stax setups and I realized that they are within my reach (budget-wise). I really enjoy my HD650s but since I am thinking of downgrading my amp from the GS1 to the Glite... I can spare money for a second set of headphones.

Once I had the predecessor to the Stax 2020, a Stax Basic system.It's very similar to the current 2020.Now I own a 3030 system, and the difference is huge.I'd say skip the 2020.The difference between the 3030 and the 4040 is way smaller IME.
In comparison to your Senn the 3030 sounds faster, more effortless, better separation of instruments, but less forgiving when you listen to bad recordings or low bitrate MP3s.Headstage and perceived distance to the musicians is similar, the sound through the Stax seems to be a bit closer, but not Grado-like.

Jul 17, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 22
Anyone else feel that certain Stax headphones (303 or 404) are superior to the HD650s?

Jul 17, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #6 of 22
They are incredibly different. The Senns are fuller, richer probably more musical. The Staxs are fantastic in other ways, they have detail that is not to be believed, great bass and midrange, but very different. I have both the 650s and the Stax Lamba Signatures with the tube headphone, and depending on what I am listening to and what I am in the mood for, I will choose one or the other. They are just very different and both great in their own way.

Jul 17, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #7 of 22
...but recently heard the Senn 650's. Loved 'em!

Laz

Jul 17, 2005 at 8:11 AM Post #8 of 22
Damn... no real way of telling if I like them unless I order a Stax setup.

Hmm....

Jul 17, 2005 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 22
Joey V, I am in the same boat. Thinking of pulling the trigger on a 404/313 to compare with my HD-650's which are still breaking in. See my recent thread on this. Got a lot of great responses.

Jul 17, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #11 of 22
I own both of these products. For heavy-duty music enjoyment, I prefer the STAX SR-404/SR-313 due to the instrument separation, soundstage, lushness, outstanding bass-treble extensions, and phenomenal detail. Having said that, I think the Senn's are also extraordinarily high-performance headphones. I simply stationed them in my TV room where I can now enjoy a movie late at night, at decent volume, without disturbing the rest of the house. I also have the Sony CD-3000, another terrific set of cans, which I use exclusively for my electronic gear (E-Drums, Malletkat, etc.).

KenB

Jul 17, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V

Are you serious? Do you really have to ask? Get the Stax.

Jul 17, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #13 of 22
I may be in a similar boat fairly soon. To pick up a pair of HD-650s, decent amp, and maybe a replacement cable puts you easily into Stax territory, as far as cost is concerned. I already know I like the Senn sound, I'm interested in the Stax but not entirely sure if I'd like them. The ideal solution is "both", but I don't have the scratch for that.

Jul 17, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec
I may be in a similar boat fairly soon. To pick up a pair of HD-650s, decent amp, and maybe a replacement cable puts you easily into Stax territory, as far as cost is concerned. I already know I like the Senn sound, I'm interested in the Stax but not entirely sure if I'd like them. The ideal solution is "both", but I don't have the scratch for that.

Elec,

Seeing that you are in Naperville, you should get the Stax and Ill take care of the Senns. Then we meet up and compare.
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #15 of 22
LOL Unfortunately I forgot to update my profile, I've since moved to the D.C. area
frown.gif

But my main phones have been Senn HD545s for several years now and I like them a lot. I got a chance to spend some time with 650s at a Chicago meet a year or so ago and they're pretty much "more of same". I also got to spend a little time with a pair of O2s, but I don't feel comfortable making a buying decision based on that less than ideal audition, especially since I'd be looking at 404s which everyone and their dog says sound pretty different from the O2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back