STAX OmegaII has arrived!! O2 users help!
Jul 7, 2005 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

barilie

New Head-Fier
The O2 has finally arrived!
lambda.gif
I didn't try anything but can some O2 users help me with the little manual? Of course it is all in Japanese and I don't understand anything of it!

Jul 7, 2005 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 29
Simple...

Put it on your head
make sure it is plugged in and everything is turned on
press play (follow CDP instructions to get the CD playing)
Adjust volume (follow amp instructions to turn on, set volume)

Enjoy...

I cannot believe I just typed this out
tongue.gif
eggosmile.gif

LOL

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 29
Someone mentioned that the manual talks about the infamous "Stax fart" as normal and nothing to worry about. Do a search on that. In short, the phone makes weird noises (sounds like electrical short) when you keep mucking up with the earcups. I haven't been able to confirm that the manual actually mentions this since like those of most folks here, my manual is in Japanese too.

I am not aware of any other things to consider except stock up on music.

Looking forward to your impressions on the KGBH/O2 combo.

Jul 7, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 29
Oh, and avoid listening after washing your hair. Wet hair and electrostatics don't match.

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 29
barlie, which amp do you have for the O2's?

<edit> oops, just read your sig, and see you have a kg bh - congrats!</edit>.

I have Omega II with a Stax 007t, and have English manuals for both. Reading through the manuals, there is nothing to really be concerned about, but if I can answer any questions, will be happy to do so.

Regarding the famous Stax fart, the O2 manual has an insert which reads:

Quote:

CAUTION

The SR-007 is a precision instrument. Please handle with care.
Because the earpad of the SR-007 is completely airtight the diaphragm is most susceptible to the air pressure difference between internal and external barometric conditions.
These conditions can lead to minor noises emitting from the earspeaker when positioning on the head.
This noise will in no way damage the earspeaker or in no way effect the performance

STAX LTD

Jul 7, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 29
I was listening for three hours now and the first thing I was worry about, was a low buzz coming from the KGBH. First I'd tried to reconnect the jack to the socket and this helped but not for long since the buzz later on started again. When give a little pressure on the back of the unit then it stops. Maybe a bad connection. My seller told me there is an "always ON bias supply" in this KGBH unit. Possibly it has something to do with that?

Jul 7, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #11 of 29
Does the buzz stop when you put something on top of the amp (of course, not on top of the tubes!)? I am wondering if your amp needs more mechanical damping due to transformer hum.

I would e-mail Justin at headamp.com. He stands by his work. You can also ask this question in the amp forum; some tube guys there might be able to help.

Jul 7, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
Is it a mechanical buzzing coming from the transformer? It could be a power issue.

Yes, I'm almost certain that it comes from that "always on bias" system. Even when the power button (ON/OFF) is off I hear a buzz, but lesser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back