Stax Omega II problems
Apr 9, 2004 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

immtbiker

The first to organize an (Inter)National Head-Fi Meet (2006)
I have two problems with a new pair of Omegas. Anyone else have these problems?

1- One side of the elastic of the self-adjusting headband is installed shorter than the other, causing it to look terrible when then heaphones are not on my head or on the stand. This is poor quality control, because it is really crooked (unless it is supposed to be this way).

...and

2- When I rotate the right earpiece, or touch the connector (where the cord meets the earspeaker, or when I start to take them off my head, the right channel, cuts out and makes a shorting noise.

I assume that since the connector ring is fully rotatable, Stax must use a connector somewhat similar to a steering wheel and a car horn or cruise control buttons where is uses 3 prongs, and 3 rings, so it must be that the prongs are not making adequate contact with the rings (or something like that).
Of course, to save many dolares, I bought them from Japan...so it will be an adventure to get them replaced.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 9, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 16
To answer your first question, I believe the elastic only loops through the headband. Mine was like you described but I just pulled on the headband part to center it.

2) You just discovered the Stax fart
tongue.gif
Fix: don't touch the connector and don't take them off your head
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 16
1. The leather band across the top isn't fixed in place, and if gripped lightly it will slide over and you can center it again around the stretchy stuff.

2. Does it make a "farting" noise when you do that? Try putting the cans on and quickly pushing them slightly towards your head, or even pull on them slightly. It sounds like it is the famous Omega Fart coming into effect. When you have a good seal, and the mylar is pulled by a sudden change in pressure it will do this. Try moving the earpieces on and off more slowly and see if it still happens.

Apr 9, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 16
So...this is normal? If it is, I can live with it, I can fart as well as the next guy.
It seems so damaging to the electrostatical sitchy-ation.

Anyone else that can back up Canman's claims of normality?

Due to the inability to rotate the 303's, not all Stax are prone to this problem, although I did have a car once, that honked everytime I turned the steering wheel. Everyone wanted to show me what their middle finger looked like!
eek.gif

Doug...
Yes it does. But the right channel actually cuts out. Pushing the cups in and out, causes my hair to tingle. 580 volts DC, causes me to dream differently.

Apr 9, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 16
GAH, Canman beat me to it by two minutes with the same responses. He snuck in while I typed.
tongue.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 16
Son of a gun (what does that mean, anyway?)...the headband is adjustable on the stretchy stuff. Glad I have a degree in engineering.

I love youse guys. Will you be my bestest friends?

100 hours of burn-in wasn't for nothing. (double negative).

Apr 9, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by immtbiker
Doug...
Yes it does. But the right channel actually cuts out. Pushing the cups in and out, causes my hair to tingle. 580 volts DC, causes me to dream differently.

Be careful if you suspect it is malfunctioning. Last thing we need is someone brain dead from a Stax overload.

1. Does the hair on both ears tingle, or just one?
2. Same side always, or just when it farts?
3. Will the left ear fart when you push or lift it quickly? If not, try rotating the inner earpiece until you achieve a better seal.
4. Hold the right earpiece up to your right ear, with the cans off your head, with the back of the earpiece to your ear. Wiggle the wire and see if the sound cuts out. If so, wiring problem. If not, farting problem.

Apr 9, 2004 at 3:17 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Farting Stax?

confused.gif

-Ed

I'll demo it in June.
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Farting Stax?

What?
confused.gif

-Ed

Yeah, Doug and I paid extra for that
wink.gif
It actually happens sometimes if I am chewing food while listening. It's a minor quirk I've gotten used to rather quickly, considering how good the sound is when it doesn't fart.

Enjoy your new cans, I found break in to set in around 250 hours although since my amp was new as well it might have prolonged break in a bit.

Apr 9, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

I'm scared.
biggrin.gif

Be afriad. Be very afraid.
biggrin.gif

Actually, as Canman stated so well, it doesn't happen often, you get used to it, and it is easy to forgive considering how incredibly good they sound with the KGSS.

Apr 9, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #13 of 16
I does happen when I wiggle the right wire, but I think that, that is lifting the cup a little (breaking the seal).
However, it also happens when I rotate the outer assembly on the right side, but not on the left. When I rotate the inner pads, to get a better fit, it doesn't happen.
Is there really a noticible difference after 250 hours? I see a large difference after 100, but I am using a 313 amp, and will have to do another burn-in after upgrading.

Apr 9, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #14 of 16
Aaron,

You have to have the cans off your head to properly test what I'm trying for. If you take them in your hand and hold the back of the earpiece to your ear, then wiggle the wiring while holding them off to the side of your head, this will determine if it's the wiring or a seal issue. If they're sitting on your hear it won't work as the seal could cause the mylar to fart, blowing the troubleshooting.

Apr 9, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Aaron,

You have to have the cans off your head to properly test what I'm trying for. If you take them in your hand and hold the back of the earpiece to your ear, then wiggle the wiring while holding them off to the side of your head, this will determine if it's the wiring or a seal issue. If they're sitting on your hear it won't work as the seal could cause the mylar to fart, blowing the troubleshooting.

With the cans off my head, putting the "back" of the earpiece to my ear, wiggling the wire, it does not happen.
Thank you for your time and patience, for helping me to understand that this is a idiosyncrasy of the Omegas, and not a defect. I don't know if I would have bought them, had I been aware this was a known problem. I'm sure years of listening pleasure will be a good tradeoff.
Thanks also to Canman, and others who pitched in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back