Stax Omega II Info Needed
Jun 1, 2005 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GRod

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm a brand new member. I'm intrigued by the Stax SR-007 Omega II system.
I see that it was first introduced in 1998. Before I get hooked on it, does anyone know if there are any improvements, updates, revisions, new models, etc. coming out or planned within the next year or so?
Thank you,
GRod

Jun 1, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by GRod
Hi,
I'm a brand new member. I'm intrigued by the Stax SR-007 Omega II system.
I see that it was first introduced in 1998. Before I get hooked on it, does anyone know if there are any improvements, updates, revisions, new models, etc. coming out or planned within the next year or so? Thank you,GRod

GRod, no updates to the Stax lineup have been public as of yet. the Stax SR-Omega (Omega I) was introduced around 1993 and was around for about 5 years. Who knows, the Omega III could be around the corner. Then again, it might not. Look at Sony, it took them about 15 years to replace the MDR-R10 and the newer headphone still doesn't beat it IMO.

Jun 6, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the quick response CanMan. I still don't know what to do though. Question: Does anyone know if the Omega II's can be properly driven by other amps like the Headrooms, Grace, Antique Sound Lab, Musical Fidelity, etc.? Also, where is the best place, in terms of price, service, etc., to buy Stax products?
Thanks to all,
GRod

Jun 6, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 4
you can only use specific electrostatic amps to drive it. Obviously Stax amps where they have Solid state and tube amplification. The current top of the range SS Stax amp is the 717 and the tube is the 007t.

But there is a third party alternative in the Kevin Gilmore designed amps. These are referred to as KGSS (SS) or the Blue Hawaii(tube)

Most headfiers prefer the Kevin Gilmore products than the stax products.

But funnily enough the Sennheiser electrostats seem to sound good out of the 007t IIRC.

I haven't tried my stax stuff yet but I will get round to it sooner or later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back