Stax Omega 2 owners--HELP!!!
Dec 4, 2007 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

earwicker7

Headphoneus Supremus
I need some serious help with my Omegas. Just like the K701, the damned headband keeps pulling the cans upwards. I have a tall, fairly thin face, and the elastic (the little cords on the AKGs, the band on the Stax) on both of these phones makes it almost impossible to keep the pads in one place. Add the slippery leather of the Omegas into the equation, and it's a definite problem. Just when I get the perfect listening position on the pads, I am able to listen for about one minute before having to push them back down. It severely interferes with my ability to enjoy the best sounding cans I've ever owned.

I tried bending the non-elastic part of the headband, but I always ended up with a funky shape that sounded great on one ear but horrible on the other. I'd really love to be able to correctly bend it, but I don't seem to have the judgement to do it correctly.

I was able to slightly correct the situation on the K701 by stretching the elastic really far so that it lost some of its "spring". I can't seem to do this with the Omegas.

Would it help if I posted pics with myself wearing them? Maybe someone knowledgeable would be able to say, "Oh yeah, I get it, you need to bend them here and here" or something like that.

Thanks, all!

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They must be too loose on your head so try changing the angle of the drivers so the phones will press more firmly towards the head. Pictures would be great to try and troubleshoot this.

I'll have my daughter try (she's only seven) to take some decent pics of me tonight.

Dec 4, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll have my daughter try (she's only seven) to take some decent pics of me tonight.

That would be great. I've never heard of this problem before but we should be able to rectify it.

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #5 of 16
Ok, here's a couple of pics... Notice how they are lopsided? They lean more to the left than the right. This is the result of my previous "experiments" with bending the cans. Not good, not good. I'm sure they're much worse than when I got them.

dscn0077zt2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

dscn0078iv3.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 16
By the way, I should probably post of pic of the photographer since she was so helpful...

dscn0073qc8.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Obviously much more photogenic than her father, who looks perpetually stoned despite being completely sober at the moment.

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #7 of 16
Ok that does help. The look lopsided since the left side doesn't make a continues arc while the ring one does. That can be corrected but I would start by bending them slightly inwards at the bend above the Stax logo. The pads don't look that compressed and a little more pressure could help. Try just bending it a bit (a few degrees at a time) and see what happens.

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok that does help. The look lopsided since the left side doesn't make a continues arc while the ring one does. That can be corrected but I would start by bending them slightly inwards at the bend above the Stax logo. The pads don't look that compressed and a little more pressure could help. Try just bending it a bit (a few degrees at a time) and see what happens.

Will do. I'll give it a try after work tonight. Thanks!!!

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Ok, here's a couple of pics... Notice how they are lopsided? They lean more to the left than the right. This is the result of my previous "experiments" with bending the cans. Not good, not good. I'm sure they're much worse than when I got them.

dscn0077zt2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

dscn0078iv3.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Nice phones... Nice watch.... and nice tatoos.
biggrin.gif

How is the O2 compare to the W2002 ?

Dec 5, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice phones... Nice watch.... and nice tatoos.
biggrin.gif

How is the O2 compare to the W2002 ?

Thanks for the complements! The Movado is a great watch; I got tired of spending $100 on a watch every year as the old one fell apart. I've had this one for eight or nine years and the only thing I've had to do is replace the batteries every three years or so. It's a tank. I think I spent maybe $700 to $800 on it, so in the end it's kind of paid for itself.

I don't know how "unbiased" I would be on discussing the differences between the two. I am a huge fan of open cans as opposed to closed. The main difference is in bass... there is certainly more of it in the W2002. But that seems to be a given in the closed vs open debate.

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #12 of 16
Hey, all. I've got some good news! Previously, I had been using my Opus 21 while trying to get the pads in the right place. Since I got the Omegas back (they had to be repaired due to a short in the cable) I have replaced the Opus with a Linn Akurate, which has an A-B repeat function that the Opus didn't. It's sooooo much more easy to adjust it based on a 10 second clip being replayed over and over.

Anyway, I managed to get them pretty close to where I want them. I may need some advice on perfecting them, though. I'll have more time to play with them tomorrow and will let you know if I need any more help.

Thanks so much!!!

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

By the way, I should probably post of pic of the photographer since she was so helpful...

Obviously much more photogenic than her father, who looks perpetually stoned despite being completely sober at the moment.

Wow, when I saw those pictures I thought: "Damn, that guy is stoned"...

Reading this was kind of a surprise to me...

Dec 6, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zayeem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, when I saw those pictures I thought: "Damn, that guy is stoned"...

Reading this was kind of a surprise to me...

I know, I always look stoned. I hardly ever smoke pot anymore.

EDIT--I always look stoned in photos. I don't know if it's something I do when a camera is pointed at me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back