Stax Omega 2 MK1 vs. Omega 2 Mk2
Dec 20, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #16 of 20
Wow, I pretty much knew what this thread would look like before I even opened it and I will stay away from comments regarding comparisons between these.

I would STRONGLY recommend buying both the Mk1 and Mk2 and comparing for yourself as the outcome will depend on so many variables. For me, I preferred the Mk2 after living with both and bought the 404LE to give me some of the qualities that I preferred about the Mk1 and then some. If I was using different cables and source gear, I could have been swayed to the Mk1.

A word of caution...the Audiogon seller of the Mk1's is not very reputable which is why they have been for sale forever. If you post a WTB ad on this forum, you should be able to get a nice Mk1 for $1,400-1,450 and a nice Mk2 for $1,500--1,550 delivered.

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #17 of 20
Thanks to everyone here for your advice.

It looks like there's no bad choice here. I'm going to go with the Mk1 for now. This way I can compare it to the Mk2 that I heard locally. Likely, I'll keep the Mk1, but if I happen to like the Mk2 that much better then I can sell and switch. Or become one of the "hitters" and keep both! Yeah right...

Now on to the amp research. I know that's going to be another can of worms.

Thanks again.

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by wkumar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to everyone here for your advice.

It looks like there's no bad choice here. I'm going to go with the Mk1 for now. This way I can compare it to the Mk2 that I heard locally. Likely, I'll keep the Mk1, but if I happen to like the Mk2 that much better then I can sell and switch. Or become one of the "hitters" and keep both! Yeah right...

Now on to the amp research. I know that's going to be another can of worms.

Thanks again.

Congrats on a good choice. Amp choice is also crucial, and the Stax amps don't really cut it with the O2s. Headamp amps (bh, kgss, bhse), are great if you can find one used (good luck with that) or don't mind waiting an extremely long time. Check out Woo (GES, WES), and there's also been a DIY 'stat amps in the works for awhile that I don't really know much about, but might be worthy of investigation.

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #20 of 20

lololol
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry spritzer, but i disagree with your generalization. You are the most respected Stax'er in the forum, however im sure that you hear different than "everybody" but most importantly, the music you listen to is for sure different than the one I play, so possibly it is different from "everybody's". There are many people from this forum that contradict your statement as well as the important ears of stax employees.

I said pretty much everybody, not everybody (as in 100% of users). I only judge transducers on how neutral they are and the Mk2 simply isn't. You may like the bass hump and the etched midrange(there are people that buy Ultrasone headphones so stranger things have happened) but the headphones aren't neutral. There is a reason for both of those colorations and if you think Stax intended for them to be there, you are wrong. They are simply a byproduct of Stax making the phones "more user friendly".

the ultrasone comment was quite a funny one
what frequency does the 007a hump at,, preferably i hope it would help some bass pedal kick but if it doesnot...  and i am not a fan of funky mids either but i need some punch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back