Stax New SR-3 Repair-restoration
Jan 7, 2015 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gthry45

New Head-Fier
 I wonder if anyone can recommend a reputable UK or other European repair/service dept for vintage Stax earspeakers. A pair of the New SR-3 that I acquired recently (for a reasonable price considering) exhibit the common problem of level imbalance. I've tried the usual leaving them plugged in to charge for several days without success. Since I'm no electronics expert I'd prefer to send them for professional renovation....if only I knew where to send them.
Thanks in advance for any recommendations
G

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 11
Given the price of an SR-3 New and what it would cost for any "professional" renovation, you should consider doing it yourself. Its usually the electrostatic coating which has deteriorated, and a coat of anti-static cleaning gel/fluid on the membrane will fix it.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #5 of 11
This is a rather old post now but I've just got around to doing something about the aforementioned SR3s. Following Tachioma's advice I opened up the drivers to see what applying the anti-static gel would involve. But what I found suggests a more fundamental problem. The membrane of one of the drivers is damaged and neither of them seems to be sufficiently taught. They're sort of slightly crumpled like used clingfilm/glad wrap!
Is this what 2  or 3 micron mylar really looks like? Would 2micron mylar be a suitable replacement, and if so, what further treatment would be required beyond the rather tricky looking tensioning. Would I still need to add some sort of electrostic gel?
If anyone would like to see I can send some photos but i'm not allowed to upload them here.
Thanks

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #7 of 11
If the dust covers have been damaged, they can be replaced with some cling wrap. You can clean the drivers by using a little sticky tape to pull off the dust on the stators, and when you finally get to the membranes.... well, I use my fingers to wipe the dust off it and that seems to work fine for me XD The proper way to do it would be with camera sensor cleaning tools, but eh, those membranes aren't really that fragile.

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for this. It's getting embarrassing!

But I can't see how to get at the mylar membrane. The unit seems to be bonded acrylic or similar plastic. Does anyone have such a thing as an exploded diagram or suchlike? Failing that, more sane advice would be appreciated.
Thanks again

Mar 12, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #9 of 11
OK. Thanks for nursing me through this attempt at a repair. I've now got the SR3 driver unit open.The membrane looks to be in good condition although the tension is perhaps not identical all around. But I've one last question; do I need to coat both surfaces of the membrane with the anti-static cleaning gel, or just one?
thanks again

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #10 of 11
No reply needed to that last. I puzzled out what little remained to get the job done. The SR3's are now sounding splendidly balanced and as clear and transparent as ever. Thanks Tachikoma for your advice - it worked a treat!
Appreciatively

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #11 of 11
Hi all -

Long-time lurker, first time poster. I've got a set of New SR-3s with a serious channel imbalance, and I thought I'd also give recoating the membranes a go. I've got the headphones opened and the drivers removed, but I'm not seeing how to disassemble the drivers to get at the diaphragms - I don't want to just hack away at it, so I'm hoping someone has tips. Can't tell if they're glued or held together with pins or what.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back