Stax Lambda questions
Sep 17, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #31 of 54
Yes, call the buyer and see if you guys can agree on a price!
I say $5-600 for the combo is pretty fair, since its hard to get a Lambda Pro for less than $300 and an SRD-7/MK2 for less than $150-200.

No need to worry about burn-in. Just fire up and enjoy.
biggrin.gif

Keep us posted...

Sep 17, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #32 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikolaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spaceman: Thanks for trying to keep these guys in check, everyone's insane here
biggrin.gif

The SRM-T1 is definitely way more than what I want to spend at the moment.

I will definitely be keeping my Beyer setup, I still haven't even heard electrostatics, so for now I'm still somewhat skeptical of the Lambda's ability to better my beloved dt990s
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I've settled for the Lambda Pros + SRD-7, I'll give the seller a call tomorrow and try to negotiate a bit maybe.

This should leave me with Denon Amp > SRD-7 > Lambda Pros. By the way, do they have to burn in?

Thanks for all the help guys, looking forward to hearing these things. Oh, and it'll be ~14 hours before I call the seller, so you can still stop me
smily_headphones1.gif

You can always sell them here if you don't like them (highly unlikely but could happen) at no loss.

They will be very different to the 990 but the Beyer has no chance. All of the 77/88/990 line is a result of Beyer trying to make a dynamic version of their only electrostat, the 1976 ET-1000. I have one and it is much better then any of the dynamics I've heard.

They will run in a bit but it's minimal since there is so little movement in the driver compared to any dynamic headphone. The high voltage also helps out.

Sep 18, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #33 of 54
Is the Lambda Pro version worth that? I thought it was inferior to mine which only cost me $150.

Sep 18, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the Lambda Pro version worth that? I thought it was inferior to mine which only cost me $150.

Yes, it's worth it. No, it's not inferior, just different and let's hope that SR-Lambda stay at that price forever.

Sep 18, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #35 of 54
Yeah b/c I like the SR-Lambda better than anything I have ever heard lol. Best deal ever.

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #36 of 54
Quote:

Yeah b/c I like the SR-Lambda better than anything I have ever heard lol. Best deal ever.

x2 (although they are the only stax I have heard)

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

Quote:

yeah lambda pros are sought after a fair bit. i wouldn't say they're inferior. if you listen to spritzer then yes, but they have their merits.

you should listen to other Stax! i got my SR-Lambda Pros + SRM-1/MK-2 for $400 lololol now THAT was a deal =D =D =D

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should listen to other Stax! i got my SR-Lambda Pros + SRM-1/MK-2 for $400 lololol now THAT was a deal =D =D =D

Thats a good deal!
I paid $450 for my first Lambda Pro, with a 9/10 black SRM-1/MK2...

Sep 18, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #39 of 54
Quote:

yeah lambda pros are sought after a fair bit. i wouldn't say they're inferior. if you listen to spritzer then yes, but they have their merits.

Well it's actually I and J. Gordon Holt, the founder of Stereophile, that don't like them that much. The midrange has a huge recess so everything is pushed back in the soundstage, the highs are etched and uneven and the bass is uneven as well. It doesn't have the smooth extension of any other Stax phone, including the SR-Lambda and Lambda Signature, the previous and subsequent models. The Stereophile review touches on all of this and asks people to listen before they buy.

They do sound very nice indeed and the hype surrounding them is always increasing to unloading them shouldn't be too hard.

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #40 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it's actually I and J. Gordon Holt, the founder of Stereophile, that don't like them that much. The midrange has a huge recess so everything is pushed back in the soundstage, the highs are etched and uneven and the bass is uneven as well. It doesn't have the smooth extension of any other Stax phone, including the SR-Lambda and Lambda Signature, the previous and subsequent models. The Stereophile review touches on all of this and asks people to listen before they buy.

They do sound very nice indeed and the hype surrounding them is always increasing to unloading them shouldn't be too hard.

yeah i agree about the sound signature, but to me that was part of their appeal. their "sound"

i sometimes wish i could resurrect my pair, but the SR-404 are so much more balanced top to bottom.

initially they don't give the impression of being more detailed, but with careful listening they're not missing anything that the SR-Lambda pros did at all.

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #41 of 54
Quote:

yeah i agree about the sound signature, but to me that was part of their appeal. their "sound"

i sometimes wish i could resurrect my pair, but the SR-404 are so much more balanced top to bottom.

initially they don't give the impression of being more detailed, but with careful listening they're not missing anything that the SR-Lambda pros did at all.

It is part of their "sound" but it is worse then the other Lambdas so I just don't get the hype surrounding them.

The 404 is a mighty fine headphone and I should have my set here soon along with the SC-1, completing my Lambda collection. Can't wait...
biggrin.gif

Btw. if I ever find a broken set of Pro's I'll let you know.

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #42 of 54
I have not heard the Corda Opera but have had several sets of beyer and my gut feel is that this setup just wont compare with the Stax.
IMHO of the Lambda types the 404's are the best compromise as they are a fraction of the cost of the Omega II's but are a very close overall performance.
You will need an amp specifically for electrosatic headphones due to the electrical charge required for membranes that produce the sound. Stax produce their own or there are othe versions available, Gilmore, Antique Sound Lab, etc. Your next decision will be between valve and solid state, so you really need to listen and decide which type of sound you like. I prefer solid state with my stax due to the speed, dynamics and lack of colouration. Although some prefer the more mellow sound of valves, particulary for vocals and close small groups such as jazz.

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #43 of 54
So, I called the guy, and we agreed to a price. Luckily he had to go to a store near me, so we agreed to meet up and finish the transaction.

I'm now the happy owner of a Stax Lambda Pro. Apparently the seller had bought 3 pairs sometime in the early '90s. My pair was totally new in the original box, complete with silica gel and everything. Pretty fascinating stuff, They feel like they came out of a time machine or had just been assembled yesterday.

Sadly I haven't really gotten around to hearing them yet, as I need to hook them up to my speaker amp, which is stashed away at a remote warehouse. Tomorrow after work, I should be able to pick up the amp, and give these things a listen. All very exciting
biggrin.gif

In other news my Opera arrived at the post office, but customs hit me with $290 worth of VAT. Bastards :[.

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #44 of 54
$290!!!!!

What is up with that? Where do you live? UK?

Sep 19, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

$290!!!!!

What is up with that? Where do you live? UK?

Denmark, which is in the EU, so I guess they'll do that.

Have to admit I didn't really know the rules beforehand. The seller marked it as a gift so I thought I'd be ok, but apparently in Denmark you have to pay VAT if its over $50, no matter if it's a gift or not
frown.gif

The only solution would be to mark the gift at a low value. However that'd suck if the package was lost and you have to claim insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back