Stax Lambda questions
Sep 16, 2007 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Nikolaus

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I'm considering getting a Stax Lambda, as I'm interested in trying to electrostatic sound, so I have a few questions.

My current setup is emu 0404 > Little dot mk3 > Beyer dt990 '05 600ohm, however I'll be receiving a Meier Corda Opera amp next week, so that's what I'll be using instead of the emu and little dot.

I'm looking at a pair of Lambdas with a 1/4" adapter. Would the Opera amp provide proper amplification for the Lambdas (not sure whether electrostatics require special amps such as the Stax amps)?

How would the Lambdas compare to my dt990s? I don't wanna pick up something that's a huge downgrade and just use it a few times because of inferior sound quality.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Sep 16, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 54
You need an electrostatic amp (or adapter) to drive any electrostatic headphone so those amps are useless for this role. There are the Stax models and also some after market makes.

The DT990 is mid-fi at best while any of the Lambdas are high-end. They will shine out of a 30$ transformer based adapter driven by a vintage amp.

Sep 16, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 54
For Stax you need a special amp so the Opera is not suitable. I have never heard the 990, but I got a DT880 and a Stax 2050 (hp + amp) and in no way is the Stax a "huge downgrade", but I'm still undecided which I like best (last time I compared them, it varied from cd to cd).

Sep 17, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 54
MY honest opinion?

Sell it all for Stax my friend. It is a definite step up.

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #5 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sell it all for Stax my friend. It is a definite step up.

I totally agree with you!
I have listed to the DT990 and own the SR-Lambda Pro. The Lambda's are definitely a step up when it comes to sound quality.

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #6 of 54
The headphones comes with this adaptor: http://www.stax.co.jp/OLD/Photo/Srd-x.jpg

That should allow me to run the headphones through my Opera amp right?

While you all seem to really like Stax, I want to at least try them before selling anything
lambda.gif

Also, I really like bass, which I feel the dt990s do pretty well. I read a post (I think it was yours spacemanspliff) saying that the Lambdas should provide plenty of bass, so I'm definitely hoping that will be the case.

Would anything from the current Stax lineup be an alternative to the Lambdas?

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #7 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikolaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headphones comes with this adaptor: http://www.stax.co.jp/OLD/Photo/Srd-x.jpg

Yes, I am pretty sure you can run the Lambda's from the Opera (through the SRD-X).

Quote:

While you all seem to really like Stax, I want to at least try them before selling anything
lambda.gif

Sure!
But be warned that Stax phones are addictive...
lambda.gif

Quote:

Also, I really like bass, which I feel the dt990s do pretty well. I read a post (I think it was yours spacemanspliff) saying that the Lambdas should provide plenty of bass, so I'm definitely hoping that will be the case.

The SR-404 are the current Lambda top model.
It almost identical to the old SR-Lambda, except that its a Pro bias 'phone and hence a bit different sound signature.

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #8 of 54
I've got the DT880's and the Stax 303's.

303's win HANDS DOWN.

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #9 of 54
Quote:

lambda.gif

That adapter will indeed work and if you like the sound you could get a speaker amp and use the SRD-6 or 7.

The Lambdas are still in production like Kai said but the older models sound a bit different. It's mostly due the evolution in source material and musical tastes in the last 30 years.

Sep 17, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #11 of 54
Quote:

Wow, you guys are fast
smily_headphones1.gif

I actually have a speaker amp. It's a ~10 year old Denon (can't remember model), must've cost ~$350 back then. Would this be preferable to use instead of the Opera?

Wouldn't cost me more, so if it's better, I'm definitely gonna go for that instead.

It's difficult to say which is better without listening to them but the speaker amp will give you more power to play with and that will result in extra voltage and electrostatics like that.

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #13 of 54
I only paid $300 for my normal bias Lambdas and a SRD-7. I would suggest trying for that kind of setup. It really, really sounds nice. The Pros are a bit overpriced imo.

Sep 17, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Thanks for your help so far, however I still have a few more questions:

I found a guy near me who has some NOS Stax Lambda Pros and Stax Gammas for sale.

The Lambda pros cost ~$450 and the Gammas cost ~$310. Which is probably negotiable. Is this a good price?

Also how do the Gammas compare to the Lambdas?

That is the "normal" price for the Lambda Pro but they are far from worth it. The Sr-Lambda is IMHO a much better headphone. The Gammas are worth about 100$ but the NOS status will increase the price a bit but not that much. The Gammas do not have much in common with the Lambdas as the sound worse and are much more uncomfortable. They were the budget otion after all and the Lambdas the high-end.

Sep 17, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #15 of 54
Oh yeah, I power my SRD-7 with my Parasound V.1 combo and it sounds dynamite so the Denon should work ok if you get at least the Srd-7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back