Stax Lambda Pro headphone
Oct 8, 2002 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Dr. Bakunin

New Head-Fier
Hi fellows,

This is my first post in this group.
I kindly request someone to inform if the above used phone is a good buy and what will be a just price for it.

My intent is recording monitoring.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Wishes,

Bakunin

Oct 8, 2002 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 14
Hi,

I recently purchased a used pair of Lambda Pros myself off the used market. It seems a fair price for one is around $220-250.

In terms of how it fares compared to current day Lambas, it is a bit more peaky in the treble. Current day Lambdas have a warmer midrange and a smoother treble. In a way you could liken the Lambda Pros to being ruthlessly agressive for their professional usage, while the current day Lambdas are "softer" and better for at-home listening.

Don't forget to have the right type of Stax amp to drive them with...you need a amp with the 5 pin Pro jack.

Oct 8, 2002 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 14
Hi,

I sold my two older pairs of Lambda earspeakers on Ebay a few months back, a Lambda Signature and a Lambda Nova Signature respectively and have retained my Lamda SR-404 Signature.

Both of them went for about $250, which was quite disappointing, especially for the Nova, which was in near mint condition and came with the box, etc.

Using those prices as a reference, I would say that a Lamda Pro would be worth about $180-$220, depending on it's condition.

If you're willing to pay a bit more, it would be advisable to go for the newer models, e.g. the Nova Signature or the SR-404 Signature, which have much less treble etch and are easier on the ears, as remarked by Vertigo-1.

Oct 8, 2002 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 14
Hi ze-ant and Vertigo-1,

Many thanks for the hint !

I see that ze-ant clams for a Sigma headphone. ¿This Sigma model have a better performance than Lambda?

The seller have too a amplifier adapter to regular stereo amplifier use with this phones and asking $200.

Wishes,

Bakunin

Oct 8, 2002 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Dr. Bakunin
I see that ze-ant clams for a Sigma headphone. ¿This Sigma model have a better performance than Lambda?

The seller have too a amplifier adapter to regular stereo amplifier use with this phones and asking $200.

Although I understand that the performance of the Sigma does not match the Lambda, I understand that the Sigma's presentation is entirely different from that of the Lambda, something I want to experience first-hand. I think that's the fun thing of being a Stax (or actually, an earspeaker/headphone) fan. Call us crazy.

If you can tell us the model number of the amplifier/adapter, we might be able to give you some advice there.

Oct 8, 2002 at 11:42 AM Post #6 of 14
Dear ze-ant

Here are some more info about Stax Lambda:

Phone: Lambda SR Pro
Adapter: SRD7SB

¿ How you compare the Lambda performance with Sennheiser HD-600?

Thanks for the help.

Bakunin

Oct 8, 2002 at 2:32 PM Post #7 of 14
Sorry Bakunin, but I have no idea about the current price for a SRD-7SB. Perhaps someone else here can help you out?

Same thing goes for the HD-600. I don't have any experience myself but believe that they're a few threads here that have compared the two. A search of the archives should be able to locate them.

Oct 9, 2002 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 14
Bakunin,

No problems, hope someone else here can help you out and that you find the threads you're looking for.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2003 at 12:47 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by ze-ant
Although I understand that the performance of the Sigma does not match the Lambda, I understand that the Sigma's presentation is entirely different from that of the Lambda, something I want to experience first-hand. I think that's the fun thing of being a Stax (or actually, an earspeaker/headphone) fan. Call us crazy.

If you can tell us the model number of the amplifier/adapter, we might be able to give you some advice there.

Hey ze-ant.

You wanna buy a pair of Stax Sigma's (not PRO's) + a SRD-7SB?

I have both for sale (togther or otherwise..!).

The Sigma's need a little TLC and maybe one or two spare parts.

The SRD-7SB was re-wired to avoid the "earspeaker/loudspeaker switch" and I'm awaiting any replies in the forum about putting it back as it was originally.

If you're not interested, they'll be put up on eBay.co.uk in about 2-3 weeks, once I've got the spares to put them back into A1 condition. (Not much needed - some internal foam and maybe some new earpads).

As for sound quality - they *are* completely different to any other headphone in presentation terms, more space, more air, more of most things. Plus that silky smooth electrostatic sound only a "Stax" can give you.

I love them and will be sorry to see them go. But they've not been used in 10 years and we'll be moving house soon, so time for them to find a new loving home..!

Timbo
(in UK)

Apr 5, 2003 at 1:52 PM Post #11 of 14
The problem I had with the Sigma was the lacking midrange and the boomy bass. It doesn't have the usual smooth and transparent sound electrostats have to offer, just an idea of it. In turn it provides a lot of air and space. Given that this is a strength even the Lambda shows, I'd rather accept the latter's peaky treble and its relatively weak bass.

peacesign.gif

Apr 5, 2003 at 2:36 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
The problem I had with the Sigma was the lacking midrange and the boomy bass. It doesn't have the usual smooth and transparent sound electrostats have to offer, just an idea of it. In turn it provides a lot of air and space. Given that this is a strength even the Lambda shows, I'd rather accept the latter's peaky treble and its relatively weak bass.

peacesign.gif

Hi JaZZ

I wouldn't disagree too much with what you've said.

But on the other hand, it depends on what you're driving them with.....

Put them with something that has a controlled bass output and a clean mid-band and you immediately make up for them.

On the other hand, mis-match ANY components and the sound you get will be worse that a "synergistic" approach.

And of course, we all hear things differently anyway.

So, it's always going to be a case of "one man's meat...!"

Tim

Apr 5, 2003 at 3:04 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Dear ze-ant

Here are some more info about Stax Lambda:

Phone: Lambda SR Pro
Adapter: SRD7SB

¿ How you compare the Lambda performance with Sennheiser HD-600?

Thanks for the help.

Bakunin

The adapter is worth about $100 (80-125).

Apr 5, 2003 at 3:37 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Hi ze-ant and Vertigo-1,

Many thanks for the hint !

Wishes,

Bakunin

Make sure the adapter is for the phone. Tthere are two different voltages, "normal" (270 v) and "pro" (580 v), and the pins are different. They cannot be interchanged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back