STAX for dummies?
Nov 28, 2008 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Bigjppop

100+ Head-Fier
SORRY FOR THE CROSS POST. ACCIDENTLY PUT IN THE AMP SECTION.

So I'm considering diving into the STAX world and am wondering if some of you veterans can give me insight for a newbie.

My current favorite setup is my HD650's with my Darkvoice 337 (NOS Tung Sol 5998's in the front and NOS Tung Sol 6SJ7GT mesh plates in the back) has served me very well. I'm using an iMod as a source and overall am very pleased.

That being said, and I am somewhat of a headphone junkie, is there something better? I listen to a lot of acoustic music, classical, vocal, etc but have a wide variety of everything. I'm not a bass head (really didn't care for the Darth's) but like the darker sound of the HD650's.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is, what do you STAX users recommend for a newbie? There appears to be a nice basic setup for sale on the FS right now that I am considering, but I'm wondering if that will give me enough of a taste to really get an idea of what STAX is all about. Should I try the entry level or just save up and go big from the start? I've been looking at Woo Audio's page recently and they got some nice setups with the GES and various STAX cans.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 14
Look for the SR-Lambda and Lambda signature with adaptor. They give great bang for bucks considering they cost less than $400 for the whole setup. It's hard to match them on the dynamics side (headphone + amp) given the low price point.

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 14
The next time a Signature with transformer box shows up for less than 400, please PM me. Otherwise, not really. Normal bias Lambdas are easily under, though, and probably have the least amount of high frequency prominence, to ease the transition from the HD650.

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #4 of 14
Depends how much you are willing to spend.
Cause a Stax system (headphone and amplifier/transformer) can set you back anywhere between $200 and $15,000.

A nice entry will be a SR-Lambda and and SRD-7. Hook the SRD-7 up to a regular speaker amplifier and off you go. Alternatively a new SRS-2050II system.
I went straight to the top myself (SR-007BL and SRM-007t), and never regret it. But most seem to start with a basic setup and scale up as the time goes on.

Basically, there are so many different ways to enter the world of Stax'en. So some more info from you would be nice.

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 14
Just a few mins ago I (tried to) listen to my Darkvoice 336SE + HD 650 again, but could not stand the veiled sound. I used to like the 336SE + HD 650 combo, but to me they sound totally different compared to my Stax 3030 system.
I was enjoying my DV 336SE and DT 250 for a month or so now, then got the HD 650 and two or three days later found a great deal for a the Stax 3030 system. So I ended up getting the HD 650 just a few days before the Stax. As I said before, I liked the HD 650 out of the DV, but now that I heard the Stax I am not able to enjoy the HD 650 anymore. There is so much detail, speed, accuracy and soundstage missing on the DV + HD 650 setup, at least to my ears, that I am not going back anytime soon.
I told myself to keep the 336SE and DT250, because I might need a set up closed cans again sooner or later and I am not ready to stress my wallet some more to get the closed Stax phones... but the HD 650 will be for sale soon.

I have only heard the Stax earbuds prior to the 3030 system which should not be compared, as they are quite different in SQ and of course their price. So I basically trying to tell you, that I went ahead and bought the Stax 3030 without having any idea how they sound or if I would like them.

I can only recommend to try a Stax system yourself, buy one and if it is not your cup of tea, sell it again. Or if a local meet is in your reach, go and meet up with the folks and listen to a Stax setup.

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Basically, there are so many different ways to enter the world of Stax'en. So some more info from you would be nice.

What I'm wondering is does an entry level STAX setup offer enough of a window into the STAX flavor to get an acurate idea of what outs there or do I need to "go big or go home."

Does the entire STAX family have a similar sound?

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 14
Been reading a few past reviews from here and there but it still questions me. How much of an improvement is the SR303 over the SR404?
tongue.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigjppop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I'm wondering is does an entry level STAX setup offer enough of a window into the STAX flavor to get an acurate idea of what outs there or do I need to "go big or go home."

You are well served with the SRS-2050 combo. Best bang for the money in the line-up

cheers

Tom

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 14
If you can try to buy something better than the basic system because the amplifier is a really importaint factor and the basic amp isn't that good.

When i bought the first electrostatic system Koss ESP950 i was astonished with the speed .Then i bought a Stax system just for the amp and discovered that i liked Stax headphones more(mabye in a month i will go back to Koss ,who knows).The soundstage,speed,detail was incredible.The only thing you should know about electrostatic headphones is that they lack the impact Stax more than Koss.But when you get used to it (a cuple of days) you will discover a totaly new sound that you can listen to the whole day without getting tiered.

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by green0153 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But when you get used to it (a cuple of days) you will discover a totaly new sound that you can listen to the whole day without getting tiered.

Same here, I can enjoy my Stax setup for 6 hours and more. With my dynamic cans I could maybe listen for 2-3 hours but always had to take a break as my ears needed to rest.

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #11 of 14
My basic Stax setup is always keeping me up late.

I always tell myself, "Just gonna listen to one more song and I'll sleep." Well, one after another and always I end up going at it for much longer.

Nov 28, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

I have only vintage systems that I paid under $200. They can definitely give you an idea whether you like how stats sound. Resale value is good for any Stax, vintage or new, so if you don't like it, you should be able to resell it.

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

You certainly can get a nice (really nice) window into the electrostatic world with a entry level setup.
The Lambda models share a common sound signature, and probably also the Omega ones. So if you don't want to spend a lot of $$, then a vintage Lambda (SR-Lambda, SR-Lambda Pro, SR-Lambda Signature, ...) matched up with a transformer or energizer will be a nice start.

Upgradeitis may hit you, but so it is..
smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been reading a few past reviews from here and there but it still questions me. How much of an improvement is the SR303 over the SR404?
tongue.gif

Improvement?
Imo the SR-404 is an improvement over the SR-303, probably as a result of the ultra-wide cable. Ok, thats just me though. Others may have a different opinion.

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imo the SR-404 is an improvement over the SR-303, probably as a result of the ultra-wide cable.

Absolutely agree. Noticeable fuller, richer sound through both tube and solid state amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back