STAX for Dummies?
Nov 28, 2008 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Bigjppop

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm considering diving into the STAX world and am wondering if some of you veterans can give me insight for a newbie.

My current favorite setup is my HD650's with my Darkvoice 337 (NOS Tung Sol 5998's in the front and NOS Tung Sol 6SJ7GT mesh plates in the back) has served me very well. I'm using an iMod as a source and overall am very pleased.

That being said, and I am somewhat of a headphone junkie, is there something better? I listen to a lot of acoustic music, classical, vocal, etc but have a wide variety of everything. I'm not a bass head (really didn't care for the Darth's) but like the darker sound of the HD650's.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is, what do you STAX users recommend for a newbie? There appears to be a nice basic setup for sale on the FS right now that I am considering, but I'm wondering if that will give me enough of a taste to really get an idea of what STAX is all about. Should I try the entry level or just save up and go big from the start? I've been looking at Woo Audio's page recently and they got some nice setups with the GES and various STAX cans.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Nov 28, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 20
Just a few mins ago I (tried to) listen to my Darkvoice 336SE + HD 650 again, but could not stand the veiled sound. I used to like the 336SE + HD 650 combo, but to me they sound totally different compared to my Stax 3030 system.
I was enjoying my DV 336SE and DT 250 for a month or so now, then got the HD 650 and two or three days later found a great deal for a the Stax 3030 system. So I ended up getting the HD 650 just a few days before the Stax. As I said before, I liked the HD 650 out of the DV, but now that I heard the Stax I am not able to enjoy the HD 650 anymore. There is so much detail, speed, accuracy and soundstage missing on the DV + HD 650 setup, at least to my ears, that I am not going back anytime soon.
I told myself to keep the 336SE and DT250, because I might need a set up closed cans again sooner or later and I am not ready to stress my wallet some more to get the closed Stax phones... but the HD 650 will be for sale soon.

I have only heard the Stax earbuds prior to the 3030 system which should not be compared, as they are quite different in SQ and of course their price. OTOH give them a try and if you do not like them put them up for sale again, if that is not an option then try to attend a local meet.

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 20
Posted in the amp section rather than the headphone section.

Mods, please remove this one.

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 20
Depends how much you are willing to spend.
Cause a Stax system (headphone and amplifier/transformer) can set you back anywhere between $200 and $15,000.

A nice entry will be a SR-Lambda and and SRD-7. Hook the SRD-7 up to a regular speaker amplifier and off you go. Alternatively a new SRS-2050II system.
I went straight to the top myself (SR-007BL and SRM-007t), and never regret it. But most seem to start with a basic setup and scale up as the time goes on.

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 20
I started out very low end Stax and climb this ladder very fast over this past summer. I invested about 200$ for a starter setup then progress to a SRM-001 amp and a SRD-7 box with a couple of older Stax headphones only to now have what you see in my Sig.

I think the SR-007MkII with a KGSS with blackgates is very good and is the best of my setups. I also have a SR-404 with the SRM-T1S which is very good but not as good as the other one. The SRS-005II is also very good if you want that type of earplug headphone.

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 20
slwiser, how do you think the sr-003 compares to the sr-404 when plugged in the srm-252a? I just bought the srs-005a system and have yet to receive it but I'm wondering how the "basic" stax compares to others.

Nov 28, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by oofie810 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
slwiser, how do you think the sr-003 compares to the sr-404 when plugged in the srm-252a? I just bought the srs-005a system and have yet to receive it but I'm wondering how the "basic" stax compares to others.

I have not compared my 404 with a 303 and I personally would think the 252a would not properly drive either of these. The voltage is to slight.

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 20
After reading the stax threads, I started out with the Sr 303 (which is essentially the same as a 404...although some may argue that the 404 will be brighter, more detailed mids and have deep bass. The 303 has a more linear freq. line than a Lambda Pro...but the LP has deeper more controlled bass and not as bright) I realized that the overall price/performance amps lay with the vintage srm1/mk2 pro models series A being about $300, Series B $400 and the C which certain higher serial numberss actually will give you a better sound ...even more$$. There are mixed reports of the T1 and SR007, 727 amps...depending on which earspeaker you drive...but overall for the Lambda group you can't go wrong with a srm1mk2pro. It will give you the option of using normal bia phones later...
The lambda's are only marginally improved by going to a SR717...tho yes noticeable.
Going Omega2 will cost you more $$...I did soon after getting my initial set up go that route...but finding both units (sr007 and SRM717) used. they do sound different! O2 being much warmer overall although as discussed detailed.
I had a beginning stax set for sale a few months ago...that didn't. Not really in a rush to sell but it is the xmas season! And currently in Santa Fe and it has been bad on my wallet
beerchug.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #9 of 20
Some people complain that some of the new Stax Amps can not drive their headphones very well. As a semi professional musician with a home recording studio, I have discovered some interesting things about recorded Cd disks which could be helpful to people thinking of buying the Stax srm 007t and or the stax srm 007ta. Most prerecorded commerical Cds do not play well on Stax amps. I did test of my two Stax amps, the SRM 007t and the SRM 007ta by creating a home recording of my guitar and synth playing. I used a recording program called Cakewalk Producer 3. I purposely recorded the volume levels of my playing slightly higher than most people normally would; but not so high as to have the sound distort. Then I burnt some copies and played them on my two Stax amps mentioned previously. Well, one thing I would say it that IT IS NOT THAT THE STAX SRM 007T OR THE SRM 007TA AMPS CAN'T DRIVE THE VARIOUS PAIRS OF STAX PRO HEADPHONES, RATHER IT IS THAT MANY COMMERICIALLY CREATED CDS ARE VERY WEAK. THIS IS WHAT I WOULD DIFINITELY SAY. Also if the Cd your playing has all electrified instruments, then generally your sound quality will be unsatisfactory. Additionally if there are a multitude of electric instruments the same holds true. If you cd has a duo, trio or quartet of musicians, then you have a change at some quality. THE WAY A CD IS RECORDED CAN MAKE OR BREAK THE QUALITY OF THE BEST SYSTEM. I was recently invited by a very famous Audio Salon to audition some very high ended systems. The total value of which was approximately $400,000. The speakers that were used for this audition were going for $150,000. They played the first CD which in my opinion sounded good on that system and then the played another which sounded about 30% better. The quality of cds should be the first priority for any headfier or audiophile. It is the source of everything.

Scottsmrnyc

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #10 of 20
Scottsmrnyc. Have you heard one of the aftermarket amplifiers? Like the KGBH, KGSS, Aristaeus, ES-1, ES-2, GES, ...

I love my SRM-007t, and can't really put my finger on anything major wrong or lacking. But from what I have been told it first became real when you have compared them to something "better"/powerful.

Dec 27, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #11 of 20
Hi all, Here is a simple question. Is there any danger to my Stax SRM 007t or SRM 007ta amp if I hook up one of those gold Y Adapters to the output section of these amps? Thanks Scottsmrnyc

Dec 27, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #12 of 20
SMUH- If you want to get a really great Stax system, you are better off going on Ebay or Audiogon and picking up a Stax Pro Type System that is OLD STAX NOT NEW STAX. The old stuff is as much as 20% better than the New Stax. Scottsmrnyc

Dec 27, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottsmrnyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, Here is a simple question. Is there any danger to my Stax SRM 007t or SRM 007ta amp if I hook up one of those gold Y Adapters to the output section of these amps? Thanks Scottsmrnyc

Do you mean those gold Y-shaped RCA adapters on the loop out? If so then there is nothing you can damage.

Dec 27, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottsmrnyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SMUH- If you want to get a really great Stax system, you are better off going on Ebay or Audiogon and picking up a Stax Pro Type System that is OLD STAX NOT NEW STAX. The old stuff is as much as 20% better than the New Stax. Scottsmrnyc

So in your opinion an SR-Omega are better than an SR-007...
Thats seems to go against most other impressions around here. But then again, we are of course allowed to have different impressions.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back