STAX confusion
Jul 2, 2011 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

eggontoast

Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of SR-303 classic earspeakers and a SRX-pro energiser. I just purchased another lambda nova classics with an srm-3 energiser as I wanted to upgrade from the SRX-pro to the SRM-3. I assumed that these two earspeakers were the same but one has a red surround around the drivers the other gold, the position of the drivers is also slightly different in the housings. The question is are they the same and one is just a later version or is one better than the other.

Jul 2, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 6
Both of my 404 units, have red drivers as do the 404 Limited.  I don't know if the 303's were painted that way.   There is another site whose name  I don't recall (and not the one whose name must not be mentioned here)  that had pictures of most of the Lambda drivers.

I had a Lambda Nova Classic for a few years  It had a fairly decent sound but not quite a match for the 404.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/430113/stax-lambdas-404-vs-lambda-nova-signature-vs-nova-classic.

After I did that review  I discovered that the Signatures I thought I had bought were in fact  Lambda Nova Signatures.  Sometimes the sellers get confused.  Possibly something like that had happened here.

Jul 3, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the info & link I now have a better understanding of what Lambdas there have been.

I guess the way forward is long listening sessions to decide which ones to keep.... How terrible.

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #6 of 6
After listening and comparing the Lambda Nova Classics and the SR-303's I personally prefer the SR-303's. The LNC's are too mid orientated, the SR-303's seem more balanced across the frequency range but even these are slightly mid orientated.

I have recently acquired a pair of SR-404's and found these to be a slight improvement over the SR-303's. However after pressing the drivers onto my head one side 'clicked' and the other didn't. I assume the click is the air pressure moving the diaphragm. On closer inspection of the diaphragm which doesn't click it appears to have a small perforation or tear right at the bottom edge.

I take it these are foobar now is there anything that can be done ? If I pan from left to right I can't in all honesty hear much difference between either side maybe a small reduction in low end bass response.

EDIT : I said perforated diaphragm I think this is incorrect is it a PVC cover ? if so can this be patched up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back