Stax 3030 vs 4040?
Apr 16, 2004 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jerik

New Head-Fier
I have been able to listen to the Stax 3030 set up but can't audition the 4040 before I buy.

What are peoples opinions on the difference between these two please? i have read the review on 6moons.com which seems to suggest no discernable difference. Is this really the case.

Thanks all
Jerik

Apr 16, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Jerik
I have been able to listen to the Stax 3030 set up but can't audition the 4040 before I buy.

What are peoples opinions on the difference between these two please? i have read the review on 6moons.com which seems to suggest no discernable difference. Is this really the case.

This past weekend I had the chance to hear the 303/313 setup and compare it to a 404/007t setup. The 3030 was amazingly close to the 404 setup in performance. Yes, there was a difference, but it wasn't much of one.

Apr 16, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
This past weekend I had the chance to hear the 303/313 setup and compare it to a 404/007t setup. The 3030 was amazingly close to the 404 setup in performance. Yes, there was a difference, but it wasn't much of one.

How close would you guess the 007T is to the 006T that comes in the 4040 system? Do you think that the differences would have been closer if the normal (lesser?) 4040 amp would have been used? Did you get to listen to both phones through both amps at the same time?
I think that the 3030 system can compete with the 404/007T says alot for the lesser phones. Sorry about bombarding you with all the questions. I need to get to a meet and hear some of the stax stuff.

Apr 17, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 7
Hi,

I heard my old lambda's with an SRM-T1 (I think that was the tube driver) and with a solid state driver (and with my SRD-P). In the short time I listened I really did not hear much of a difference. I think I may have a bias toward solid state though. My goal is to get the SRM-717 because (by spec sheet) it has a greater voltage delivery than the tube units. The best way to go may be with something like a KGSS amp (Dr. Gilmore appears to understand the needs of Stax earspeakers and their amp requirements), or that wonderful looking tube amp that he (Gilmore) designed for the Omega-II. My personal bias is towards solid state.

Judging by your toy collection you should go with what your ears tell you, not what I say. You obviously know the difference between S--- and Shineola :wink:

p

Apr 17, 2004 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 7
Well, the only real difference besides looks (minor at that) are the cables. The headphones themselves are the same but the cables are different, the 4040 has a beefy higher end cable. I guess if you have a ultra detailed ultra high end system the differences might be more pronounce, but for most people, it's a matter of taste and peace of mind
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 7
I own the SRS 3030 Classic combo, and I got to audition the 404's briefly on my system. I really didn't find much difference between them. The 404's struck me as being a little brighter, but the difference was so slight it might be the variance from unit to unit. This was with the SRM-313 amp and with my MMF-25 as a source, and my exposure was limited. (The owner insisted on having them back same day.)

There was a thread a while back that recommended the SR-404/SRM-313 combination as the sweetspot, but I can't do a search just now. The price difference on Audio Cubes is about $80, so I'd probably go with the 404's if I had it to do over.

Let us know what you decide. Either way, you are going have a really nice setup.
lambda.gif

BW

Apr 17, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
How close would you guess the 007T is to the 006T that comes in the 4040 system? Do you think that the differences would have been closer if the normal (lesser?) 4040 amp would have been used? Did you get to listen to both phones through both amps at the same time?
I think that the 3030 system can compete with the 404/007T says alot for the lesser phones. Sorry about bombarding you with all the questions. I need to get to a meet and hear some of the stax stuff.

You're welcome up here anytime.

I've never heard the 006t. I got my 404 used, without an amp. I already had the 007t, which I got with my HE 60 (which is a better headphone than either the 303 or 404, IMO). When the 404 came on the market, I decided to buy it, if only because I may have been the only person with an SRM-007t to have never owned a Stax headphone of some sort
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back