Static with PA2v2?
Dec 9, 2007 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dcc84

100+ Head-Fier
I just received a PA2v2, and I am very impressed with it out of my computer and ipod. However, when plugged into a keyboard (Roland XV88) and run through my AKG 240s's, I hear a noticeable crackling staticky noise in my headphone. This happens mostly when I am playing chords in the mid range (300-800Hz) of the keyboard. I have tried numerous volume combos bw amp and keyboard, and the one that makes least noise is to go as close to no volume on keyboard as possib, and very low on the pa2v2. Regardless, if either one is turned up, it makes some noise, but quite a lot more static sound if the pa2v2 is turned up. It gets worse as volume gets louder on either, and it can happen in both ears. At the only levels where it does not crack, it is too quiet to really play. Also, this does not happen when headphone is plugged straight into keyboard.

Anybody know what the deal is? Headphones maxed out? Bad 1/8" plug? Please help!

Dec 10, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 10
I bet one of you knows the answer to this problem:? ehhhh....

Dec 10, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 10
I've owned three of the PA2v2s, and they all have given some static (sometimes) when you turn the volume knob. However, if you're not touching the volume, it should be rock-solid.

It will provide static when the batteries are getting low. I had a lot more trouble with one unit than the other two, so I decided to replace the batteries. When I got into the amp, I discovered that one of the AA batteries was nearly out of its slot--maybe it got dropped during shipping. Re-seated the battery, and the problem was solved.

So, make sure your amp is well-charged. Open it and check the batteries if necessary. If that doesn't work, then email Gary. He really backs up his product.

Dec 10, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 10
awesome. I'll try it immediately.

Dec 10, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 10
I'm gonna second the static likely coming from the batteries. I especially notice this with my rechargeable Li-Ions or Ni-Cd batteries which degrade an a curve. Since alkaline batteries usually keep maximum charge up to a point where they sharply drop, I notice this static less with them.

Any problem beyond the batteries, and Gary is very likely to be able to pinpoint it, fix it, and have the amp back in your hands immediately.

Dec 10, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #6 of 10
Ok. I'll try the alkalines, but isn't it strange that it only happens out of my keyboard and not ipod or computer(unless played at insanely loud volume, but the sound is the same)? I really just can't figure that one out...

But again, thanks for all your help!!

Dec 10, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #7 of 10
This might be completely unrelated/useless info (!) but i'll say it anyway......... is there anything touching(bridgeing) the sockets (power in and source/phones)??

I was using my 2v2 (+nano) on a lanyard (with a metal ring on the end). Occasionally the ring touched the 2 sockets and I got crackling/cutout/interference etc. ( Answer - take ring off and use strong cotton instead!) But I emailed Gary Ali - typically a reply back immediately to explain how it was normal/because of how circuits were grounded etc )

Probably unrelated to your problem - but might help some other 2v2 owner!!. Regards.

Dec 10, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #8 of 10
are you sure it's not clipping?

The PA2V2, unlike "conventional" designs, the pot doesnt attenuate the input signal. Instead, the pot controls the feedback ratio of the resistors. Meaning each twist of the pot increases/decreases the gain. It's easier to get into clipping using this method.

Dec 10, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcc84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok. I'll try the alkalines, but isn't it strange that it only happens out of my keyboard and not ipod or computer(unless played at insanely loud volume, but the sound is the same)? I really just can't figure that one out...

But again, thanks for all your help!!

The static occuring at high volume is almost definitely clipping from the amp. If the power of the signal being provided is already high, the amp cannot cleanly amplify the entire signal and will clip the top and the bottom of the sinusoid, which will give you a rough staticky sound when the signal approaches these levels. The fact that it is more prominent when coming out of your keyboard as well could indicated noise on the audio port in your keyboard.

Dec 16, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #10 of 10
If the gain is too high, you'll experience clipping at higher levels. Turn it down and I'm sure it'll sound fine. I had that problem until I lowered the gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back