Static electricity
Feb 12, 2018 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

hyewiz

Head-Fier
Please can someone help mee, with Static electricity in my ears with Fiio F9, while im seating down
in my office wearing the F9's everytime I move my feet I get this strange and uncomfortable static shock in my ears.
Is there a way we can stop this from happening?

Thank you

Feb 13, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #2 of 11
There is one quick intermediate solution which will stop building up static charges: Spray your floor/carpet under your workplace with a mist of half and half of water and fabric softener.
This will help, but requires repetitive treatments , you will learn how often to repeat this treatment by experience.
A more long time solution is to have an anti-static cover on the floor under your workplace, this will also have to be securely grounded to a point that connects to ground.

Feb 13, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 11
There is one quick intermediate solution which will stop building up static charges: Spray your floor/carpet under your workplace with a mist of half and half of water and fabric softener.
This will help, but requires repetitive treatments , you will learn how often to repeat this treatment by experience.
A more long time solution is to have an anti-static cover on the floor under your workplace, this will also have to be securely grounded to a point that connects to ground.
Thank you very much, will try

Mar 12, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 11
Bon matin!
Hope all is well!

Did it work?

I also have static electricity building up... what I try to do is to use a coin (keys or anything metallic) and touch the Valhalla/Bifrost with it instead with my bare fingers... At least I do not "feel" the discharge, even being able to "see" the spark flying...

Cheers!

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 11
i've had a similar problem with a pair of iems i started out with, the fidue a83. whenever my ears touched the metal parts, i would get shocked. i also got shocked from the inside of my ear once (that was scary). For my iems, it wasnt an issue with static electricity. it was actual electricity coursing through one of the ears, there was probably an exposed wire that was shocking me whenever there was too much power going into the iems.

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 11
Bon matin!
Hope all is well!

Did it work?

I also have static electricity building up... what I try to do is to use a coin (keys or anything metallic) and touch the Valhalla/Bifrost with it instead with my bare fingers... At least I do not "feel" the discharge, even being able to "see" the spark flying...

Cheers!
that sounds like actual electricity from the circuits rather than static.....

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #7 of 11
that sounds like actual electricity from the circuits rather than static.....

I don't think so because it is super clean otherwise... This pop only happens during this super brief moment when I "discharge" the electricity, either by touching the volume (or the enclosure itself).

And I believe it is static electricity build up because the spark would fly whenever I touch a door knob or light switch... :)

Also, once I have discharged, there is no popping at all and the music is super clear...

Cheers!

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 11
Nothing helped, mine is just when Im sitting and try to move around while sitting once remove both foot from the ground I get this tiny shock in the ear. It is very annoying.
For now I stopped using them, hoping someone will come up with a solution

Mar 14, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #9 of 11
Nothing helped, mine is just when Im sitting and try to move around while sitting once remove both foot from the ground I get this tiny shock in the ear. It is very annoying.
For now I stopped using them, hoping someone will come up with a solution

I think @pithyginger63 has a point about the shocks being from a different source than static. Static should disappear when you discharge it and take some time to build up again. What are you IEMs connected to?

It's potentially a very serious issue... you can be electrocuted through your IEMs.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...om-apparent-electrocution-20140626-zsngd.html

Mar 14, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #10 of 11
I think @pithyginger63 has a point about the shocks being from a different source than static. Static should disappear when you discharge it and take some time to build up again. What are you IEMs connected to?

It's potentially a very serious issue... you can be electrocuted through your IEMs.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...om-apparent-electrocution-20140626-zsngd.html
Most of the time its connected to my PC, but now that I use other IEM its not doing it, only with FiiO 9

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #11 of 11
It's possible that your F9 has some conductive material in contact with your skin, and your other IEM doesn't. Have you tried your F9 on another PC or device?

When I used my Orion with my MacBook Pro connected to the charger, I'd get this electric shock/buzz in my ears. Doesn't do that with any other device (or when running off battery), so I suspect a short in my MBP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back