Static Electricity
Feb 11, 2007 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

colonelkernel8

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Posts
2,951
Likes
260
Location
Minneapolis
Now, this may sound kind of paranoid, but here goes:

In this dry winter air, everything I touch that is metal essentially shocks me. So every time I touch my Rotel RCD-02, I shock it, and on my headphones, there is a clearly audible pop. My question is if this is in any way damaging to the internals of the system, or is it simply dissipating over the surface of the outer case. I would think the latter to be true, but that doesn't explain the popping. Please supply any answers to my question.

Oh, and if it is degrading, what options do I have to sublimate the problem? I like that word, sublimate...
 
Feb 12, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #3 of 4

Sinwerm

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 23, 2006
Posts
298
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey, help me out here.


Ground yourself , before touching electronics , ie: touch the bare part on the back of you computer.
 
Feb 12, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 4

Whitebread

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 16, 2002
Posts
1,144
Likes
10
Yeah, you just need to ground yourself before you touch your equipment. Touch something that has a metal chassis/case and a 3 pronged plug right before you touch your equipment. You MIGHT still get a tiny shock because you and your equipment are not at the same potential, but it will be smaller.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top