state of head tracking - 360/3D audio?
Jun 12, 2019 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mimizone

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
I've been holding buying a Nx Head tracker to use on my desktop (Mac) with various wired headphones.
I also had a short opportunity to try the Audeze Mobius (but wasn't really convinced by the track played at the time).

Anybody has first hand experience with that type of tech and maybe those particular solutions and could share if it does indeed work fine, and for what type of content?

My goal is to enhance my experience at home to listen to 5.1 content (dump of SACD for instance) from something like JRiver Media Center, or just with stereo/binaural content. I'd like to slightly turn my head towards some of the instruments to focus even more on the imaging. All that with my headphones plugged to my desktop amp and DAC.

using USB connection like the Mobius is another option but would prefer not buying another headphones just for that.

FYI, I'll be at the CanJam later this month. Maybe an opportunity to try that tech again?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 3
Some folks use the NX for mixing, but I haven't personally seen it used in a lot of other environments. I always thought it a fun concept, particularly as Waves is in my hometown, but for music enjoyment, I prefer monitors, and for gaming, I found that type of simulated surround (thought the NX is very good at it) distracting as I prefer imaging to tell me where to go with my head looking straight rather than coaxing my head to actually move somewhere else. I also feel like there's less separation, but that could just be me.

Jun 14, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks. For sure the audio processing must impact the sound quality and make the imaging a bit fake as well.

I am trying to replicate the experience I have when going to those surround sound speaker setups like at EnvelopSF. I love being surrounded by the sound like headphones provide. But the Envelop environment, made of speakers all around you and above, allows you also to move your entire body to face a particular direction, focusing only for example on a specific singer or instrument. You obviously need a good mix for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back