Starving Student has arrived
Jan 7, 2009 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Karl H

100+ Head-Fier
I hit things with hammers for a living. Far too lungeous to be able to use a soldering iron, so ordered one instead from Whiplash Audio who, I have to say, have been great. Excellent communication throughout the sale from Craig. No import tax sting either, nice one.
wink.gif

It came with CBS Hytron tubes which was quite handy, as I already have a pair sat here as backup. The unit did have a 'Whiplash' metallic badge on the front which I thought was a bit tacky, so that came straight off. I do like the red led's set under the valve sockets though, nice touch. Whether or not that's a commonality I don't know, as this is my first tube headphone amp.

Nice little unit though, matches my cd player quite nicely. Wife's comment was, "looks like something you'd build in science class". Read into that what you will.
tongue.gif

Got an EF1 on the way too, looking forward to comparing both units with my HD600's. This one's running in now with a bit of Fila Brazilia.
music.gif

millet1.jpg

Edit: Just noticed i can't spell 'starving'.
chuckle.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 39
As another owner of this amp I cannot wait to hear your comparisons to the EF-1. How well does the amp drive the 600s?

Jan 8, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hit things with hammers for a living. Far too lungeous to be able to use a soldering iron, so ordered one instead from Whiplash Audio who, I have to say, have been great. Excellent communication throughout the sale from Craig. No import tax sting either, nice one.
wink.gif

It came with CBS Hytron tubes which was quite handy, as I already have a pair sat here as backup. The unit did have a 'Whiplash' metallic badge on the front which I thought was a bit tacky, so that came straight off. I do like the red led's set under the valve sockets though, nice touch. Whether or not that's a commonality I don't know, as this is my first tube headphone amp.

Nice little unit though, matches my cd player quite nicely. Wife's comment was, "looks like something you'd build in science class". Read into that what you will.
tongue.gif

Got an EF1 on the way too, looking forward to comparing both units with my HD600's. This one's running in now with a bit of Fila Brazilia.
music.gif

millet1.jpg

Edit: Just noticed i can't spell 'starving'.
chuckle.gif

Hey there, good luck with your new straving stuudant amlifver.

See, you're not the only one around here that can't spell
smily_headphones1.gif

Seriously, good luck and enjoy!

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 39
I love my Starving Student Amp!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Write more as you do comparisons!

Jan 8, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 39
The Head Direct EF1 arrived this morning too!

ef1_1.jpg

Single RCA cleartop, no naff writing on the cover and once again, no sting from customs - sweet.

Got a few tubes for both amps already. The CBS Hytrons are in the Millet, have a pair of Sylvanias to try and should have a pair of RCA 19J6's on the way shortly.

The EF1 has the RCA clear top in it as delivered, but I have a Sylvania, Brimar and Arcturus to try in it.

Jan 8, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 39
I have three Millet SS builds. I love these amps with Grado/ Alessandros. The Millet SS amps are powerful too and can even drive my low sensitivity, 150 ohm Yamaha Orthodynamics quite well.

Fallen Angel Millet SS

ssmh1frontyv4.jpg

Postal Blue Millet SS

_MG_9659.jpg

Mazuki Millet SS

mssh1.jpg

Jan 9, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #14 of 39
Looking forward to a comparison.

sacd_lover, I've heard that first millet there and, if memory serves, it sounded pretty good, actually got fairly warm, and was actually much smaller in size than the picture leads you to believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back