Starting Point Systems portable NOS DAC
Nov 4, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #286 of 508
Yup, this DAC definitely has lower output level than the typical 2V. As for the treble roll off, if you're listening to 44.1kHz material 2x oversampling in software to 88.2 or maybe to 99.6 helps, yes it would no longer be NOS but can be a reasonable compromise.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #287 of 508
I bid on one of these on eBay Lmao the price is so high now and his buy it now price is 485$? You gotta be kidding me.

Just got the DAC 3 today. Right off the bat I hear a naturalness in guitars and voices compared to the iFi Nano iDSD. But I also find the highs lack a bit. Not just less detailed but also not there entirely? Not sure how to describe it. Bass is very nice. Also needed to dial up the volume, probably because of the weaker output signal. Listening on a vintage speaker setup so take it with a big spoon of salt :wink:.

The highs are reduced because of the topology of this DAC and also the NOS property. You might be able to try to reclaim some with windows upsampling but it's not really the same as oversampling.

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #288 of 508
I have a somewhat klunky solution for Android but it works. I'm using one of the cheapo PCM2704 based DACs I got from fleabay for like $11 that have SPDIF ouptuts, so it acts as a poor man's USB->SPDIF converter and Android has no issue detecting it, then coax into the DAC3. My DAC3 wasn't getting much love lately, so I'm trying to find a use for it in the car as I'm not very happy with the DAC in my Sony Xperia Z3+ feeding into the AUX input in my car stereo. Probably not a setup I'd use in my home system but it is good enough for car duty.

Nov 5, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #289 of 508
Just got the DAC 3 today. Right off the bat I hear a naturalness in guitars and voices compared to the iFi Nano iDSD. But I also find the highs lack a bit. Not just less detailed but also not there entirely? Not sure how to describe it. Bass is very nice. Also needed to dial up the volume, probably because of the weaker output signal. Listening on a vintage speaker setup so take it with a big spoon of salt :wink:.

It takes 100 hours before setting at his optimal sound....

Nov 5, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #291 of 508
Integrated circuits do not have burn in characteristics.

Each one perhaps, but they must settle together in some time for the ears+brain.... They are more sciences implicate in that experience (listening to a new device)that meet your eye.... I say that to Textfeud because i wish he will be patient before concluding, and in my experience with this dac the beginning of the listening experience was good but not totally convincing like now after the 100 hours frontiers....Then i dont make here an argument in a science thread packed with so call scientists about a controversial so called thesis of burn-in, i advise someone to wait because in my experience, burn-in there is, for my ears, perhaps not for your "science"....I will not go with you in this non-sense dogmatic use of some science discourse.... Audio is about subjective lived experience not only about some theoretical orthodox limited engineering discourse....

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #295 of 508
Calling Richard51 - I know some here (perhaps 'most' in fact) don't believe your Crystal implementation when it comes to improvements that can be had in a Hi-Fi system. But I am open minded (and hopefully not gullible) - can you start me off by recommending a Crystal - where you can buy them - and where to put it to further improve the DAC-3?

Hey why not give it a go before dismissing it :)

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #296 of 508
Buy around 100 gram few pieces of pink quartz( they are cheap price) and 2 or 3 pieces of banded madagascar agate around 100 and 150 grams, tourmaline is also good but price little higher.. (bid no more than few dollars for that on ebay be patient dont go over 10 buy with china free shipping offer only) put them on the top of your electrical panel or attach them in front of the breakers that is the one of your audio room.... If you cannot make there because you dont own the house, put them on the socket wall with blutack, or on the surge protector or power station, and if you have some more put them near the location of the transformer of your amplifier, if one stone act not to your liking try another kind, all stones act complementarily used in my system for optimal filtering effects, some clear different frequencies and some act on the soundstage and imaging more etc i cannot go more about that here and now...

Except for the quartz, used also by many known audio companies, acoustic revive for example,because of his very known damping property(by the way i dont recommend that you buy ANY finished product by ANY company because that are too costly and you can makes the same and way better because you will be using in the end many more species or kind of rough stones, by yourself with more fun taking your time),nobody teach me the details and it takes me almost a year to discover the good species of stones, to try many combinations of stones on the many combinations of spots distributed in all links of the system to the electrical panels to even the headphone in some case Then experiment with the location, the optimal filtering effects depend of many factor in your own gear.... Thanks for your open spirit... You will see that this is less costly than any hyping upgrade gear sell here by the crowds and very satisfying and fun to play and experiment with.... :L3000:Report here....

Also these stones and crystals are not the only important thing to do.... Damping all links in your system against mechanical negative resonance and vibrations with sorbothane and other materials is very important to.... read that on the sorbothane thread....

remember that not one kind of stones act the same, then with passing time and experiments you will determine the better stones to use, the location, and the complementary effects....I will not go further for the instant...If you have questions it is better that you contact me in private because this is not the thread for that and i dont want to excite closed minds...

pink quartz( put them in a plastic bag of 50 grams buy 4 packs to try on many locations
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/100g-Natura...188069?hash=item2cc9063465:g:fgQAAOSwi7RZNMOb

madagascar agate banded ( try few pieces around between 50 and 150 grams )
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/183g-Natura...201132?hash=item4d669f5a2c:g:inUAAOSwK~RZ-kdj

tourmaline (the black one is more cheap )
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mixed-100g-B...676726?hash=item4b2be071f6:g:JpMAAOSw2zlXhdHF

Calling Richard51 - I know some here (perhaps 'most' in fact) don't believe your Crystal implementation when it comes to improvements that can be had in a Hi-Fi system. But I am open minded (and hopefully not gullible) - can you start me off by recommending a Crystal - where you can buy them - and where to put it to further improve the DAC-3?

Hey why not give it a go before dismissing it :)

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #297 of 508
When I bid the other day most were going for close to 100 or a bit over 100GBP which is $130 and then its a 33GBP shipping (which is $50) making it ~180 which is still insane.
Be patient - it's a somewhat eccentric approach to selling on eBay, in my view, a bit like hook-a-duck. I managed to get one for a *lot* less than your final figure, albeit with shipping to the UK which was GBP 24.

Nov 7, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #298 of 508
Does anyone use a AC/DC adapter (or however it's called) in combination with USB? Does it have any benefits? And if so which specs do I need? I know I've read it somewhere, but can't find it :/

Nov 7, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #299 of 508
Does anyone use a AC/DC adapter (or however it's called) in combination with USB? Does it have any benefits? And if so which specs do I need? I know I've read it somewhere, but can't find it :/

12-24V at least 500mA should work, 15-16V is probably best. I used a linear 24V wallwart, I initially thought it made it sound "fuller" but in the end I could not detect any significant differences between it and when on USB power. If anything, I'd probably invest in a Shiit Wyrd for cleaner USB power and signal.

Nov 8, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #300 of 508
So after upgrading to High Sierra the DAC doesn't work anymore. It's still being recognized, but no music coming out of it. No matter which platorm I use (Audirvana, YouTube, Apple Music). Even tried a powered USB hub but without prevail. Anybody else have this problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back