Starting Point Systems portable NOS DAC
Feb 24, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #106 of 508
  I like mine in my current setup. Klipsch speakers are very sensitive and pair well with tube amps, my mini tube amp is only 3WPC yet I can get the speakers so loud it becomes difficult to stay in the room.

I haven't turned mine up past 40%, I don't want to find out how loud it goes as 40% is already uncomfortable.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #107 of 508
I haven't turned mine up past 40%, I don't want to find out how loud it goes as 40% is already uncomfortable.

What I was trying to say these speakers require very little power to be loud, laughable 3W from my tube amp is enough to be uncomfortably loud. The solid state built in amp in yours is even more powerful, so no surprise it gets loud.

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #108 of 508
What I was trying to say these speakers require very little power to be loud, laughable 3W from my tube amp is enough to be uncomfortably loud. The solid state built in amp in yours is even more powerful, so no surprise it gets loud.

It has 50W RMS per channel I believe.
And actually the 40% volume is when using my headphone out on the TV set to line out (variable) and then plugged into "aux" on the speakers.
I believe it has some resistance for "aux" as it probably expects a powered signal.

When using it in Optical mode I can only push "volume up" about 5-6 times on the remote before its getting into the "uncomfortable" territory.

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #110 of 508
Ordered one! Can't wait to get it in and share my experiences. I usually have a hardware EQ inline with my desktop setup that's a pain to disconnect from the chain, so I really welcome the ability to have another setup.

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #113 of 508
I got this nice little DAC but can't find comparisons to other R2R DACs would like to see an extensive comparison to Modi MB being in the same price range.

They are very different DACs and therefore hard to compare, MMB is more upfront and detailed, this DAC is softer sounding or less precise if you will. MMB is oversampling vs NOS here. All comes down to personal preferences and matching with the rest of the system, need to try it for yourself.

Apr 18, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #114 of 508
Listening to some Clapton on this little box thru the Emotiva BasX A-100 and HD650s...very nice pairing. The 'Sennheiser Veil' is nowhere to be found! :D

Sep 9, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #115 of 508
Perhaps ask the designer for an advice? Apparently TDA1543 isn't that good of a DAC chip with ENOB of about 12 due to its relatively high noise level and THD and some think it was a step back from TDA1541, could be an inherent limitation of the chip? I don't think this DAC is a good choice for critical listening, but it can be fun, for one it brings me memories of that stereo cassette deck sound :)

I too have been considering the Starting Point DAC-3, and so it's useful reading this thread. However picking up on the quote above - if the TDA 1543 is not a very good DAC then 'why' would Vertex choose this DAC chip over others, then spend all their engineering expertise around this chosen DAC to then sell their masterpiece for close to £11,000!

http://vertexaq.com/aletheia-dacs-philosophy-and-design/

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #116 of 508
I too have been considering the Starting Point DAC-3, and so it's useful reading this thread. However picking up on the quote above - if the TDA 1543 is not a very good DAC then 'why' would Vertex choose this DAC chip over others, then spend all their engineering expertise around this chosen DAC to then sell their masterpiece for close to £11,000!

Because audiophiles buy stupid crap based on nonsense marketing and giant prices.
It probably sounds worse than my Topping D30 or the oDAC lol

Sep 9, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #117 of 508

Hard to say, if one wants to create a NOS DAC these days you don't have too many options as far as the DAC chips go, and TDA1543 is easier to get. It is also easy to work with as it is pretty much a complete solution into your design and you don't have to put together special hardware and/or write code to glue the DAC chip to "marry" it to digital audio interfaces chips which is what Schiit does in their multi-bit DACs. So maybe the answer is the vendor doesn't have expertise in this area? As far as prices go, they just slap whatever they feel audiophiles with deep pockets are willing to pay.

Sep 9, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #118 of 508
Because audiophiles buy stupid **** based on nonsense marketing and giant prices.
It probably sounds worse than my Topping D30 or the oDAC lol

You are right about audiophile, they are easy to condition and program.... But your own taste about Odac and Topping as perfect audiophile machine is only another audiophile twisted conditioning, it is the reason why for you other audiophiles are stupid who dont buy that and pay for more....

I wait myself for this dac and will report here....This dac has a great merit, his cost is very low.... And the review are unanimous....

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #119 of 508
I'm currently using a tda1543 chipped tube dac.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nixon/tubedac.html

Bought this dac used for $175 shipped. Spent 2 months with it , and my Theta Pro Gen V. I no longer have my Theta dac. The naturalness, and realism of the Nixon dac completely won me over. I found the Nixon dac was meatier in note presentation. More 3D than the Theta. The Nixon dac has a much more liquid like flow to the sound. Imaging is much more focused and the separation and placement of the images are more precise in their places. Holography is off the charts.

Anyone considering a tda1543 chipped dac. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by what you're hearing.

Sep 9, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #120 of 508
You are right about audiophile, they are easy to condition and program.... But your own taste about Odac and Topping as perfect audiophile machine is only another audiophile twisted conditioning, it is the reason why for you other audiophiles are stupid who dont buy that and pay for more....

I wait myself for this dac and will report here....This dac has a great merit, his cost is very low.... And the review are unanimous....

Eh I just referenced those two because they have very good performance for the price.
But there are a number of them which are better from many different brands.
As someone into computer electronics I understand that the chips that these devices are made of have gotten cheaper and cheaper every year and sound technology isn't even close to be considered "cutting edge" anymore.
These chips are created on older processes which have been perfected and are able to be produced in bulk with almost 100% yields.
Take for example the TI OPA2134 or the LM4562... Neither of these is more than $2.
The PCM1792 is around $5... even the ESS9018K2M or 9028Q2M is < $20 in most decent quantities.
As NwAvGuy proved with his ODAC it was able to be built for $125.
So these people charging $2000-20000 they are just building in their costs of production (because they expect close to 0 orders) and massive profits (because business obviously).
Not because the performance is "worlds ahead" of any mass produced DAC or those built by bigger corporations with more mfg tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back