Starting Point Systems portable NOS DAC
Jul 22, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #451 of 508
One thing is sure, it is more difficult to buy a very good dac than a very good amplifier, or a very good speakers, or a very good headphones, at a low cost; I know it for sure because that is my experience... I succeed but by luck and extensive studies, with a search without end for 7 years...

By a "very good dac" I means a dac that you will perceive trough your system without real defect, and only and always a natural sounding timbre in instrument and vocals...At the price that this dac ( Starting Point Systems NOS dac tda1543) sells used or new, upgrading it has no appeal for me at all...

Some people has said that it lack details, but in all my tweaking modification and upgrade no lack of details were experienced, except caused by other part of my system, or with my room, or with the lack of vibrations controls,or with the interference from the electrical grid...This dac gives only details integrated in musical coherence, I listen to the cd " jazz at the pawnshop" that a reviewer use for a review of a dac with a price so high that I dare not to mention it here; and all the qualities that this reviewer said about this cd to evaluate this high price dac, I had the impressions to listen to the same qualities with my low cost dac...I dont say that my dac equal the other one, I only say that the difference in price are so great and the difference in sound probably way more lower, then upgrading my dac seems impossible for me and I would not want it even with the money in my pocket...And I dont say all that to depreciate high end quality of other piece of audio, I say all that because sometimes miracles happen, and something high-end is sold at cheap price...Newcomers beware !

I know nothing in engineering but if you open this dac you will see with your eyes how simple and minimalistic it is in design, compare it for example with other 1543 chip implementation, simplicity and minimalistic design has a sound counterpart : less noise.... And probably in this direction the internal battery between the dac proper and an external power supply is a good idea too...Ok I apologize for my rant now and wish the best to all of you...

post-112724-0-08300400-1410927719.jpg

Hows the sound without the batteries?

Jul 22, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #452 of 508
The internal rechargeable batteries are always working, this is better to lower the noise floor …. I only charge them with a Ifipower supply now and not with an external lithium battery and it is better...my best to you...

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #453 of 508
The internal rechargeable batteries are always working, this is better to lower the noise floor …. I only charge then with a Ifipower supply now and not with an external lithium battery and it is better...my best to you...

I see. The batteries are part of the sound design.

Also, this can be part of a desktop dac instead of it being a portable dac. I mean it looks like it can replace desktop dacs

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #454 of 508
It's a really good DAC, IMO.Needs time to warm up properly - I usually give it 90 minutes. I sold my Chord Mojo and don't miss it - I won't sell this SPS DAC3.

Jul 22, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #455 of 508
It is a desktop dac for me Protoss... and I am not surprize by your opinion about this dac Haden2866...This dac is the unknown gem of audio....In my heavily tweaks audio grid this dac has no defect whatsoever... Details are all there but musically and organically linked... Many people nowadays prefers details not musically linked like in a microscope ...:L3000:

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #456 of 508
Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #457 of 508
I would say be patient and check eBay often. You will usually find (on eBay UK at any rate) a number of auctions running at the same time, with different starting prices and different postage rates - it's quite an eccentric selling strategy, IMO, but it means if you are lucky you might get a bargain.

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #458 of 508
I would say be patient and check eBay often. You will usually find (on eBay UK at any rate) a number of auctions running at the same time, with different starting prices and different postage rates - it's quite an eccentric selling strategy, IMO, but it means if you are lucky you might get a bargain.

So whats a good and decent price i should be looking at? $200 ? Or ....

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #459 of 508
So whats a good and decent price i should be looking at? $200 ? Or ....
Hard to tell - maybe the price has been climbing steadily as the DAC's reputation has grown.
I hope that you would not be disappointed at that price.
I use the USB, SPDIF and Optical inputs, for different use cases, and all work well.

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #460 of 508
This dac has attracted no real negative reviews and sometimes raving one....The price few years ago were around 100 bucks new...I bought it on an ebay a bid from the designer, I was lucky I pay it peanuts (20 bucks),because nobody bids after me...... After that I never see a low price again... The best for you, buy one used... Used I has seen it often around 150 bucks even 120 bucks...They are 3 models of this dac… The model 2 is low price often when used...The sound is virtually the same than model 3 … I run model 2 from my computer with an optical converter...

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #461 of 508
6889CCF0-7FAC-46B3-A3F7-B99ADB39A220.jpeg
This dac has attracted no real negative reviews and sometimes raving one....The price few years ago were around 100 bucks new...I bought it on an ebay a bid from the designer, I was lucky I pay it peanuts (20 bucks),because nobody bids after me...... After that I never see a low price again... The best for you, buy one used... Used I has seen it often around 150 bucks even 120 bucks...They are 3 models of this dac… The model 2 is low price often when used...The sound is virtually the same than model 3 … I run model 2 from my computer with an optical converter...
I think the model 3 has an upgraded USB receiver which M. Mariac, the maker, claims offers some form of reclocking for improved performance.
How much is this DAC worth?
I am not sure I would want this as my only DAC - it rewards slow, relaxed listening sessions. I mentioned earlier in this thread that some sessions have been truly transcendent, soul-nourishing, extraordinary. It is capable of taking you places other DACs, in my experience, can't. And yet, if you look at the specs or, God forbid, measured it you would probably chuck it in the bin these days.
Is that worth 200 bucks? 300? Can't say. I don't miss my Mojo - great in its own way but ultimately a £400 maths processor - but I will never sell my SPS DAC3.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #462 of 508
Remember that ultimately the performance of any piece of audio gear,be it a dac or an amplifier or speakers, is linked directly to the cleaning of vibrations, and cleaning of the electrical grid and electrical source and treatment of the room... This french dac does not sound the same in my system before or after cleaning...

Oct 3, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #463 of 508
I don't use headphones - I use very revealing Role Audio Enterprise Loudspeakers. The SPS DAC 3 sounds incredible with the SoTM sPS 500 PSU (power supply) connected to it, with Auralic Mini streaming music over Wi-Fi (using it's optional upgraded Auralic PSU).

It's quite easy to distinguish - the major strength is stopping any form of blur mush of muddle you can get with digital - yet also presents incredible spaciousness and superb sweet detail in the mid and treble.

This DAC really does confirm for me that the source is more important that the speakers (a very contentious subject but my opinion at least). My speaker sound average with average gear and excellent with excellent gear. The SPS DAC 3 is truly an eye (ear) opener!

My system comprises: Auralic Mini streamer, using Auralic's upgraded linear PSU >>> spdif (not USB) to SPS DAC-3 powered/charged by SoTM sPS-500 PSU >>> NVA P50sa (stepped attenuator passive pre) >>> Croft 7 Power amp (valve / mosfet) >>> Role Audio Enterprise.

Oct 3, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #464 of 508
I don't use headphones - I use very revealing Role Audio Enterprise Loudspeakers. The SPS DAC 3 sounds incredible with the SoTM sPS 500 PSU (power supply) connected to it, with Auralic Mini streaming music over Wi-Fi (using it's optional upgraded Auralic PSU).

It's quite easy to distinguish - the major strength is stopping any form of blur mush of muddle you can get with digital - yet also presents incredible spaciousness and superb sweet detail in the mid and treble.

This DAC really does confirm for me that the source is more important that the speakers (a very contentious subject but my opinion at least). My speaker sound average with average gear and excellent with excellent gear. The SPS DAC 3 is truly an eye (ear) opener!

My system comprises: Auralic Mini streamer, using Auralic's upgraded linear PSU >>> spdif (not USB) to SPS DAC-3 powered/charged by SoTM sPS-500 PSU >>> NVA P50sa (stepped attenuator passive pre) >>> Croft 7 Power amp (valve / mosfet) >>> Role Audio Enterprise.

I fully support your view about source and power supply; and more than that the electrical grid of the house and room, and the electro-magnetic fields intrication of the different pieces of gear in the room are crucial element to treat for the sound quality... Most people have already good audio systems which they dont know the true potential because of these facts about source and the electrical grid; they think that changing their gear is the upgrading solution, they makes these mistakes because hype, and marketing methods does not inform the audiophile about the most important fact in audio : how to decreasing the noise floor...

I use the same dac that you use, but I cannot afford for now your power supply, I use a low cost excellent solution Ifipower with greater result than lithium battery....But I had treated my electrical grid, vibrations resonance problems, and acoustical room, and this dac is an endgame for me, no limits to his potential quality sound are perceptible by me inserted in my audio grid...It is not tough a microscope,( buy another costly trade mark to focus on micro-details); The SPS dac nos is a musical instrument in his own way with all details integrated in the naturally colored instrumental timbre of each musical voices or instruments.... My best to you...

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #465 of 508
I fully support your view about source and power supply; and more than that the electrical grid of the house and room, and the electro-magnetic fields intrication of the different pieces of gear in the room are crucial element to treat for the sound quality... Most people have already good audio systems which they dont know the true potential because of these facts about source and the electrical grid; they think that changing their gear is the upgrading solution, they makes these mistakes because hype, and marketing methods does not inform the audiophile about the most important fact in audio : how to decreasing the noise floor...

I use the same dac that you use, but I cannot afford for now your power supply, I use a low cost excellent solution Ifipower with greater result than lithium battery....But I had treated my electrical grid, vibrations resonance problems, and acoustical room, and this dac is an endgame for me, no limits to his potential quality sound are perceptible by me inserted in my audio grid...It is not tough a microscope,( buy another costly trade mark to focus on micro-details); The SPS dac nos is a musical instrument in his own way with all details integrated in the naturally colored instrumental timbre of each musical voices or instruments.... My best to you...

If you have the same appreciation of DACs as me (for example I realise the potential of the SPS DAC 3 like you do) - you will also find another unlikely but excellent performing DAC under the hood of a Marantz NA7004 << get one used and find out for yourself. There seems to be a headphone amp included too (not that I would use that part of it personally).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back