Starting earphones
Aug 4, 2010 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Turtle

New Head-Fier
So I just started getting into sound quality and I've been reading around the threads in the head-fi community.  It seems that it's suggested to start off with some relatively cheap earphones around the $50 range to warm up to sound quality.  I own a pair of Bose around-ears headphones for starters if that's something to go off on.  And as far as earphones go I'm just using the standard  Apple earbuds.  So I don't know whether to start of at the $50 mark or just to go around to $100.

Are there any suggestions to any good earbuds out there around this range that will really help me?  I'm starting out with no amp and my source is an itouch, so any suggestions would be nice.  I listen to pop/hiphop and just a little of anything really.  I heard the re0's, klipsch custom 3's, and ie7's are good.

All suggestions will be much appreciated :)

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 17
I can vouch for the RE0s, but you will probably want to boost the bass so it depends on the DAP you are using.
Custom 3s are supposed to sound amazing, but you will want to take care with the stiff cloth cable it uses.

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #3 of 17
The earphones made by Thinksound might be worth a try; there's plenty of reviews on them around head-fi and other websites. Plus, they're right around the $50 mark on Amazon.com.

Aug 4, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 17
if you decide on the Thinksounds and can get the Rains for $50, that is pretty good value.
The rains have better detail than the thunders.

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 17
So should I get the Thinksounds or the RE0?  And I looked online, are the head-direct RE0's the same as the Hifiman RE0's?
Can someone compare the Thinksound with the RE0 for me?

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 17
I prefer the RE0s over the Rains, because of there accurate detail, clarity and bass that extends lower than the Rains.
It really depends on your DAP. If its got good bass boost get the RE0s. For $79 they are in a class of their own (IMO)
The only player i feel the Rains may sound better are on iPods and iPhones (some may disagree with me on this) because the Rains have more bass quantity and a more fun signature and will not need boosting in the bass like the RE0 (hence not relying on the iPods or iPhones EQ).
With my walkman the RE0s win hands down.
When listening with flat response ie: movies and tv i like the Rains.

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 17
What earphone you get is up to you. The RE-0 will have better detail/clarity compared to the Thinksound Rain but will have less bass. 
And yes, the head-direct RE-0 are the same as the hifiman.

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 17
I'd start with Rains with some Comply tips for improved comfort.
RE0 are wonderful, but it is especially so for treble lovers, which you don't know yet if you are. Rains are very balanced all over, have a great midrange, don't tire and are very engaging. They also have less cable noise while on the move.

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 17
Yeah I was pretty happy with the rains before I gave them up to fund the re0s.

But then I changed my mind and decided to get the DBA-02 instead of the re0s :D.

From my experience, the rains are balanced, smooth, and warm. However, nothing about them blew me away. Im always looking to hear something that makes me go "oh my gooossshhh how does that sound so good". Rains were good but didnt give me that.

If you are looking for a wow factor Id choose the re0 over the rains. From your research you probably know that they have excellent detail in treble. BUT if you listen to hip-hop the bass might be too lean for you. But who knows,it can be said the bass is just accurate and not overly boomy so you might like it.

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #10 of 17
So what I'm getting is that I should first start of with the Rains because I don't know my preference yet right?  The RE0's look tempting but then the Rains don't seem bad at all also.  So Rains are more balanced than RE0's but the RE0's are specialized?

And btw my sound source is an itouch and occasionally my laptop.  I still haven't gotten an amp or anything since I just started and still learning about earphones/headphones.

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 17
That's pretty much it. Unless you know already that you want a specific type of sound from your earphones it's best to just go with something balanced and going from there (like what aconteceu said).

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
So what I'm getting is that I should first start of with the Rains because I don't know my preference yet right?  The RE0's look tempting but then the Rains don't seem bad at all also.  So Rains are more balanced than RE0's but the RE0's are specialized?

Well, yeah, a good all-rounder which offers balanced yet engaging sound signature may be not bad to start out with. RE0 just may not have enough bass for hip-hop. RE0 may need amplification, depending on the source. Rain is a bit warmer, so it delivers more bass without rolling off highs or compromising the mids. You could also consider Fisher Audio Silver Bullet.

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
So I just started getting into sound quality and I've been reading around the threads in the head-fi community.  It seems that it's suggested to start off with some relatively cheap earphones around the $50 range to warm up to sound quality.  I own a pair of Bose around-ears headphones for starters if that's something to go off on.  And as far as earphones go I'm just using the standard  Apple earbuds.  So I don't know whether to start of at the $50 mark or just to go around to $100.

Are there any suggestions to any good earbuds out there around this range that will really help me?  I'm starting out with no amp and my source is an itouch, so any suggestions would be nice.  I listen to pop/hiphop and just a little of anything really.  I heard the re0's, klipsch custom 3's, and ie7's are good.

All suggestions will be much appreciated :)

Here's something you might find useful: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-95-iems-compared-elago-e3-jvc-ha-ebx85-added-08-04

Aug 6, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #14 of 17
I have the RE0's and the sound quality competes even with full sized headphones such as my Sennheiser HD 650's (Unamped of course =P). Great mids and highs, perfect IEM to get into this hobby with. There is so much more to life than bloated bass.

Aug 6, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #15 of 17
Thanks for all the advice guys, after much contemplation, I've decided to go with the Thinksound Rains.  I figured that since I've just started to seriously pay attention to sound quality I should start something balanced and with a bit of the oomph in bass.  Then I can build off that and figure out what I like.  Maybe I'll sell my Rains and then upgrade to RE0's later on, we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back