Starting again
Mar 5, 2006 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Yeldarb

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I haven't been around for ages and I am thinking about buying myself a headfi rig again. The last rig I had was sold over a year ago when I found that I was spending most of my time listening to my speaker based system.

Now I realise that there is space in my life for both types of system, and I am wondering what my current options are. I found this forum very useful the first time I was looking to get into headfi, and I have high expectations again.

The rig I had was HD650s/Zu Mobius/ Graham Slee Solo Monitor, and I would be willing to invest similar money again. So far I have found brand new HD650s on ebay for £179, which seems reasonable, plus the latest Solo is a smidgin under £500 according to a quick google. This time around though I am not sure about the aftermarket cable, but I may be persuaded.

I liked the way the rig I had delivered my music. A difference now is that I would be looking to use my vinyl source as well as CD.

So, my question is, would I be best off replacing the rig I had, or is there another rig I could consider?

All suggestions welcome,

Cheers

Brad

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 9
The main reason you may have not have gotten any responses yet is alot of people in thr US(east coast anyway) are at work at 12.15 pm.Also people post here so fast that threads are gone before some people even see them.I think your former rig sounds great.I have the Senn HD 600s powered by an Antique Sound Lab OTL MK 111 tube amp and think the make a great pair.Welcome back.

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 9
please buy hungrych's solo from him so he can rest from having to post it up forsale again...check it out..it has a long and distinguished history and the official seal of approval from the new york city headfiers
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 9
I mean the part about getting the same setup you had before.

If I had an opportunity to start all over.

I would either get a HD650 balanced and the new Gilmore balanced amplifier.

Or I would get the ATH w5000 with a Minimax tubed CD player.

Or I would get either a Grado RA1 and a RS-1 or PS-1.

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 9
Guys,

You have restored my faith, and thank you for the welcome back. I had forgotten about the time zone and I had not realised how many people are posting nowadays. It's good to see the forum thriving and growing.

I had a peek at hungrych's solo, but I would be wary of a tweaked beast in case it went wrong - I can probably identify a soldering iron three out of four times if I am lucky.

'Scuse my ignorance, but what is a HD 650 balanced?

I did ponder the Grados, but the price they command this side of the pond makes them expensive compared to the senns. I had a look at TTVJ's site earlier and saw that he sells the VPI 16.5 record cleaner for around $500. The same item costs £475 ($830 ish) plus delivery over here. I could import, but it is a gamble with Customs and Excise.

Now tube amps are unfamiliar territory to me, and I think I may have a look into them.

Thanks for the replies - more research needed I think.

All the best

Brad

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 9
Some places will re-cable your HD650 to balanced so that you can run it on a balanced amplifier.

I have to admit I have never heard balanced headphones.
But I know most professional systems run there equipment with balanced cables.

There are some threads here that discuss the technical benefit of going balanced.

Mar 7, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #9 of 9
Also, what is your budget? I think going the balanced route will cost you about 500 U.S. dollars more than your original setup.

If budget isn't a big concern, I would go all out and get the Stax Omega II with the 007t amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back