starter tube amp? recommendations?
Apr 13, 2004 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

kugino

Headphoneus Supremus
i want to get a starter tube amp, i.e. a relatively inexpensive one. i'll be using it primarily with the grado rs1. so far i'm thinking of the mpx3/ppx3, mg head otl32, and the mapletree ear+ as candidates. can you guys help me choose among these (i know almost nothing about tube amps)? and please don't recommend something much more expensive!
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks!

Apr 13, 2004 at 8:03 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
The PPX3 has been getting a lot of props for being a very musical amp at a great low price, it is definitely worth investigating, I would even try one myself if I had some mroe spare cash.

I second that recommendation...

Apr 13, 2004 at 12:49 PM Post #6 of 29
ppx3 + grado rs-1=
rs1smile.gif
The mpx3 is another excellent amp but the ppx3 is considerably less expensive. The mpx3 is not really a starter amp; it can compete with, and best, amps costing considerably more. I dont think you can go wrong with any of the choices your considering. You have identified the best of the best in this price range, IMO. The new Eddie Current hd 300 is the only other amp I can think of I would consider. But the first production run is not yet completed, so there are no opinions yet as to how this amp compares with the others. The opinions of the few who have heard the prototype were very positive.
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 12:51 PM Post #7 of 29
Eddiecurrent will be making the HD25 tube amp for low impedance cans (specifically Grado's) to be sold through Todd the Vinyl Junkie. You might contact either Todd or Craig to find out when they will begin to ship. Price will be extremely competetive.

Apr 13, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by kentamcolin
Eddiecurrent will be making the HD25 tube amp for low impedance cans (specifically Grado's) to be sold through Todd the Vinyl Junkie. You might contact either Todd or Craig to find out when they will begin to ship. Price will be extremely competetive.

redface.gif
Your right the hd 300 is for high impedence headphones only. My mistake.

Apr 13, 2004 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 29
Maybe you ought to pick-up a used MG-Head DT/OTL for $200-$250 first to find out if you even like tubes before you go spending decent money on an tube amp? Besides, you can probably get most of your money back if you decide to sell, and upgrade.

Apr 13, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 29
I second Antique Sound Lab's MG Head OTL 32, it can pretty much drive anything including K1000. Only problem is that it cost a bit too much to be called a starter amp (599.00).

Apr 13, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by kentamcolin
MG Heads are generally not recommended for low impedance cans.

Generally recommmended, or not, my low impedence SR80's sound very good with my MG-Head, provided I use the transformer mode w/feedback switch on.

Apr 13, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #15 of 29
mg head otl 32: $599
mpx3: $775
ppx3 w/6sn7 tubes: $549
ppx3: $465
mad ear+: $395
mad ear+ HD: $620

i like the versatility of the otl32...i have to go listen to goose's to see how they rate with the rs1. the mpx3 is quite pricey for me...but the otl32, ppx3 w/6sn7 tubes, and mad HD are generally the same price. as far as the ppx3 goes, is it worth getting the 6sn7 tubes? or should i just get the stock and buy my own tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back