starter grado
Jun 15, 2005 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

sahwnfras

500+ Head-Fier
im goin to try out some grado's for me. I have been getting mixed reveiws on grados for rap music, but im gonna try it out. What would be the best grado just to try out i dont want to spend much about $130.

Jun 15, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 19
sr60's - they are the bassline and are a good indicator whether or not the grado sound is for you. They are at the bottom and cheapest so you dont have much to lose, John did a wonderful job capturing the essence of the grado sound in such a cheap package. First time i heard sr60's i fell in love with the sound, and knew that future upgrades along the grado line would merely offer refinement and technical ability, while still retaining that grado house sound - slam, detail, forwardness, prat, exciting!

a timeline of my grado journey:

60>80>325>225>old ms2>325i>RS-1>HP-2

PS-1's are left, i've heard them on various occasions and i like them, but my wallet doesnt, maybe one day ill be able to trade my hp-2's for them just to check them out, wishful thinking

Jun 15, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras
im goin to try out some grado's for me. I have been getting mixed reveiws on grados for rap music, but im gonna try it out. What would be the best grado just to try out i dont want to spend much about $130.

Apart from SR60, I might suggest you trying Alessandro's MS1. They are a good deal as they are supposed to be a tweaked SR125 going for $99 from the Alessandro site. There is some debate over that as some say they are tweaked SR80 but when you look at the specs, they look more similar to SR125 (i.e. with UHPLC voice coils).

Good luck!

Jun 15, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
Apart from SR60, I might suggest you trying Alessandro's MS1. They are a good deal as they are supposed to be a tweaked SR125 going for $99 from the Alessandro site. There is some debate over that as some say they are tweaked SR80 but when you look at the specs, they look more similar to SR125 (i.e. with UHPLC voice coils).

Good luck!

I agree. Given your budget, the MS1 makes sense.

Jun 16, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 19
IMHO the best starter grado is the KSC75 or KTXPro1. Signature and spectral balance resembles grados and Alessandros. Although it lacks refinement, dynamics, and the "up front" midrange slam of the more $$$ grados or alessandros. The KTXpro1 is on sale at radio shack till 6/22.... nova-35 I think is its name there.

IMHO its ~85% of an SR60 at 25% of the cost. Cut a hole in the earpad cusion and it comes even closer to grado bliss.

Best of all, its $15 shipped from provantage.com So if you dont like it at least youre only out $15. Bring your MP3 player into rat shack and demo their KTXPro1 to see if its for you.

Garrett

Jun 16, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
IMHO the best starter grado is the KSC75 or KTXPro1. Signature and spectral balance resembles grados and Alessandros. Although it lacks refinement, dynamics, and the "up front" midrange slam of the more $$$ grados or alessandros...

A starter Grado is a Koss? When the SR60 is the real deal and costs $69 I must humbly disagree.

Jun 16, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by superjohnny
A starter Grado is a Koss? When the SR60 is the real deal and costs $69 I must humbly disagree.

Im assuming you've actually heard the KSC75 and Pro1, and hence have some ground to stand on... I never said it is a Grado... read carefully... as I said its ~85% of an SR60 for $15 shipped. And it doesn't cost a dime to walk into radio shack with your MP3 player and demo it.

IMHO at $15 its a better starting point since he's just experimenting... Dont let the price or name silkscreened on the box fool you. IMHO $100 for an MS1 is a lot of money to throw around... if hes really uncertain. I guess he could always sell it here on the f/s forum... I hadnt considered that.

**edit**
I didnt read his post very carefully... Looks like hes already made up his mind TO GET grados and try them out... Oops... I mis-understood.
biggrin.gif

Garrett

Jun 16, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras
........i dont want to spend much about $130.

Proceed with caution; it all up hill from there. I am a Senn guy that very recenty tried a pair of SR-60s. I also just sent them back because Grado lust has captured my soul to the point where my mind at idle sez "RS-1 or RS-2?" It's wonderfully terrible. Maybe the 325i or MS-2i, or Rec's HP-2 when he goes PS-1 (hint....), or maybe . . . . see what I mean. I do however know that 325i or better are in my near future. (sigh)

I own the RatShack Pro35A (nice) and very recently picked up a few pair of KSC35. They are both great little cans and have a great sound. I'll second them being a good starter kit (esp the ksc35)

Jun 17, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #14 of 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back