Starcraft 2 to be split into 3 parts
Oct 19, 2008 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ZephyrSapphire

Headphoneus Supremus
This is gonna be epic.
popcorn.gif

IGN: Blizzcon 08: StarCraft II Split Into Three Games

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 27
Watch only the first two parts come out, the third one canceled, and the second part with extensively cut content.

No company has managed to make the episodic model work properly with the exception of Valve.

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 27
Hmm depends. With Wrath of the Lich King just around the corner, I don't see why they can't allocate some of the staff/teams they set for WoW to work for SC2. And Diablo III can be postponed further.
tongue.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 27
What I mean is, with episodic releases, the time between releases inevitably stretches out so far that people lose interest. Remember SiN Episodes? Or Xenosaga for the PS2?

How about Penumbra? Penumbra: Overture was to be the first of three episodes in a trilogy, but the company decided to cut it short at Penumbra: Black Plague (which suffered cut content) due to faltering interest.

Valve has managed to do it with the Half-Life Episodes because Half-Life fans are an insanely loyal bunch. And the time between releases is growing enormous; it's been a while since E2 came out and E3 still has no release date.

Guild Wars has probably been the most successful, but it's an MMORPG, so it has a different business model; by removing the subscription fee and glomming all the content patches and updates into standalone "chapters," they are taking a split approach that has worked rather well. But it only works because it's an MMORPG.

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 27
Hmm. Gotta agree to that. But if they're gonna release it in a 2~3 month interval basis, then that should fix that problem. Lol. And I doubt there are more hardcore loyal Half Life fans compared to Starcraft.
tongue.gif
I'm still one since the first Starcraft came out! And even Koreans still play 'em!
tongue.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. Gotta agree to that. But if they're gonna release it in a 2~3 month interval basis, then that should fix that problem.

Do you really expect releases of 2 and 3 so early, from Blizzard? That would require them to have all 3 'episodes' basically ready for launch when the first is released, in which case they're just delaying the others for hype.

More likely, we'll see at least a year pass before the second comes out, if not longer. Besides, I'm looking forward to Diablo 3 more
tongue.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 27
I think the price will decide if this fails or not. If they charge full-price (or near) for each installment, people are gonna be pissed.

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #11 of 27
These guys are pros... I'm sure they won't screw this up. One thing's for sure... my grades are going to plummet when this comes out!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 27
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO its going to fail miserably, i was hoping for 1 game and maybe an expansion alter, way to steal from us blizzard!

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #14 of 27
I for one would enjoy it. Since each of the parts are as long as the original starcraft. Meaning it's like 3 (or 6 if they include Brood Wars) campaigns' worth of missions combined into one campaign. Lol. I wouldn't want such a great game to end so fast
frown.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #15 of 27
Maybe it's to cover the cost of maintaining battle.net, since they only charge monthly for wow and obviously it costs money to maintain the servers since a lot of people still play the original SC, D2, Warcraft 3 and it is pricey. Of course I don't like them having 3 versions at all I feel like it's a cop out and I really don't want to pay for 3 games when it's really just 1 game but to be honest the only way to keep me from buying/playing this is to charge per month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back