LTC

100+ Head-Fier
Hi fellas
biggrin.gif

Been looking alot lately on the Zero DAC, but I see three versions
The Standard version 160$
The Upgrader version 180$
and a modded version (HDAM, LT1364, and upgraded volume pot) 220$

What should I take? Would it be best to take the upgraded version for 60$ over the standard version?
Will be running it out from my PC

Regards
Jacob

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 7
Standard and do the mods yourself, cheaper and more options.

By running from a PC you mean USB? or you have optical/coax out from the PC?

I would avoid the 220$ version, the seller in question has reliability issues, the recommended seller on ebay is: http://myworld.ebay.com/wsz0304

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Standard and do the mods yourself, cheaper and more options.

By running from a PC you mean USB? or you have optical/coax out from the PC?

I would avoid the 220$ version, the seller in question has reliability issues, the recommended seller on ebay is: eBay My World - wsz0304

But can I upgrade the non upgrade version?

EDIT: uhm is it possible to run it our from USB? I dont see a USB port
biggrin.gif

Anyway got optical and coax yes
tongue.gif
Optical is from my X-fi Extreme music though
frown.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 7
Nov 29, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, most mods are simply opamp swaps, read this guide: Introduction to the Zero DAC and Headphone amplifier. - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Yes, you can use USB, with a coax or optical to USB adapter, wsz0304 offers one with his ZERO units, not the best but does the job.

Well im a little confused about two things, is the OPA soldered on to the board on the non upgrade version?
And if I should buy the HDAM upgrade to the Zero, should it be this one then? OPA-SUN Dual OPA USD30/1 unit (24*24*40)

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well im a little confused about two things, is the OPA soldered on to the board on the non upgrade version?
And if I should buy the HDAM upgrade to the Zero, should it be this one then? OPA-SUN Dual OPA USD30/1 unit (24*24*40)

The opamp isn't soldered, no.
To your second question, yes, it's any of the "Dual" opamps, Earth, Sun or Moon. The history of those 3 models is, the "Earth" is the original, and considered the most neutral sounding. The "Sun" was a new model, that after we didn't like the sound, the designed changed it. The "Moon" is the latest of the three. There's little difference between them now, but I'd pick the Moon as the best, due to the deepest soundstage (actually "headstage"). The "Earth" is always the safest bet and I felt the Sun had the most forward sound. The Sun also has pretty green LEDs.
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The opamp isn't soldered, no.
To your second question, yes, it's any of the "Dual" opamps, Earth, Sun or Moon. The history of those 3 models is, the "Earth" is the original, and considered the most neutral sounding. The "Sun" was a new model, that after we didn't like the sound, the designed changed it. The "Moon" is the latest of the three. There's little difference between them now, but I'd pick the Moon as the best, due to the deepest soundstage (actually "headstage"). The "Earth" is always the safest bet and I felt the Sun had the most forward sound. The Sun also has pretty green LEDs.
wink.gif

Cool
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back