Standard or maxxed Portaphile V2^2?
Mar 23, 2006 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

thetoe

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking about buying a Portaphile V2^2 for my DT770-80-s, and I'm wondering if I should choose the standard version or the maxxed one with multiple buffers. How will the sound benefit from the extra buffers?

Mar 23, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 19
well you do have the beyer dt-770-80, so you might want to look into the dual buffers. And I think the DC jack is a must, but thats just me. Oh, and if you do get a DC jack, make sure you add another $30 for the wall-wart.

Mar 24, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 19
The maxxed version is definitely better-sounding than the standard version, and well worth the extra expenditure: quieter ("blacker") background, slightly more extension at both ends, better definition and texture, finer detail, a bit more air around performers/instruments...

It's been a while since I compared and I don't recall all the improvements. Perhaps some other owners can chime in.

PV2^2 maxxed is a great choice for the 770s. It does a nice job compensating for 2 known deficiencies of the 770s: it fills in dips in the frequency midrange, and also fills in the generally somewhat recessed middle of the soundstage -- and also adds some richer texture to the mids. (I'm not sure if the effects are the same on all the versions of the 770s.)

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 19
You're not being very nice to my wallet now.
tongue.gif

kevin1592: You mean I won't get everything I need if I simply order a V2^2 Maxxed? I also consider the DC jack a must.

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #5 of 19
TheToe, I mean that when you order the V2 maxed, Portaphile doesn't supply you with an external power supply (wall-wart). And a good wall-wart is about $35. Just factor that in when you make your decision. Good Luck.

Kevin

Mar 25, 2006 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 19
That's what I thought you meant. It shouldn't be a problem to get hold of one of those. Thanks for the tip!

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #7 of 19
No problem, but just to let you know the maxxed version is $235 + $35 for the power supply so that = $260. And IMO I think you can do I little better then the V2^2 for $260. Thats just me.

Kevin

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:01 AM Post #8 of 19
Hm. Any suggestions, then? The option to run the amp with a plug is a finite requirement.

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 19
Well for $40 more you could get the HeadRoom Micro. Or the Gilmore Lite, although the Gilmore Lite is not portable. Umm...you could also get the Rockhopper M3 for $299. And for less then $260, you could DIY a PIMETA. IMO I think all those compete with or beat the Portaphile. Good Luck!

Kevin

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin1592
Well for $40 more you could get the HeadRoom Micro. Or the Gilmore Lite, although the Gilmore Lite is not portable. Umm...you could also get the Rockhopper M3 for $299. And for less then $260, you could DIY a PIMETA. IMO I think all those compete with or beat the Portaphile. Good Luck!

Kevin

Is this conjecture or are you speaking from experience? Sound wise or from a value propositon standpoint? The V2^2 compared favorably with much more expensive amps in actual listening comparison tests. thetoe ( as in the toes knows? old show....anyway) there are links on the portaphile website to reviews and if you search here, there are happy users as well.

good luck with your search....it's never ending.

Mar 26, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin1592

Kevin

A maxed Portaphile beats most anything in and above it's price range with the exception of the Gilmore Lite.
Either one, the difference will be pretty small.

Personally I would suggest the Portaphile (I'm biased obviously, but I did own a Gilmore Lite for a month.)
I sold my Gilmore Lite because it took up space on my desk, and the sound quality was not really better, just different.

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #12 of 19
I think I'll go for the Portaphile. I understand that it is possible to have a test amp sent to you for trial listening, right? How do I get one of these?

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 19
I run two setups at home......and have Darth Beyers amongst other 'phones. Right now I've got a Portaphile X3 - but ordered it with Blackgates, DC back, and A bias......and very happy with it. The total bill for that comes to $163.80 (I believe without double checking). I don't know if Romanee added those items to his, or is comparing experience with an "unadorned" X3 to his Maxxed Portaphile. I'd find that information interesting, since I intend to order another Portaphile - this time I expect to make it a 2^2 Maxxed. I like them THAT much.
The present one sits on a computer constantly plugged into an Elpac...so all I ever have to do is flick the on/off switch.

Mar 29, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by thetoe
I'm thinking about buying a Portaphile V2^2 for my DT770-80-s, and I'm wondering if I should choose the standard version or the maxxed one with multiple buffers. How will the sound benefit from the extra buffers?

I have owned 3 portable amps and the Portaphile V2 Maxxed is the one I ended up keeping. I think for the price you cant go wrong, great build quality, dip switches for tweaking, great size and sound.

Portaphile yum.

portaphile.jpg

kb

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 29, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #15 of 19
I purchased a Portaphile X3 a couple of weeks ago and am VERY pleased with it! Cesar is very responsive to any questions and builds a quality product. Highly recommended!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back