Standalone CDP < $300
Jul 6, 2008 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Aura

Can Jam '10 Organizer
So, I'm kind of stuck in limbo right now with my rig's source. I'm thinking about moving from the E-MU to an internal soundcard and adding a quality cdp.

I'd really like to stay around $200, but could push up to $300 (which I'm kind of expecting anyway). What I've liked so far:

- Marantz CD5001
- Marantz CC4001
- Oppo 980

I'd really like to have a carousel, but the premium that the CC4001 carries over the CD5001 is kind of lame especially considering that they utilize the same Cirrus DAC section.

I'm looking for opinions on these 3 units as well as recommendations for others in this tier. All bets are off, I'm really just looking for flat-out music quality here. Thanks much.

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 7
I think my CD5001 via the RCA outs sounds very nice. Using coax out into a good DAC leads to improvements, as it makes a very good transport too. But, I could be very happy with just the 5001 if I had to. You might find a used or refurbished one for under $200, and could be very happy with it.

I haven't heard the others, so I can't comment.

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think my CD5001 via the RCA outs sounds very nice. Using coax out into a good DAC leads to improvements, as it makes a very good transport too. But, I could be very happy with just the 5001 if I had to. You might find a used or refurbished one for under $200, and could be very happy with it.

I haven't heard the others, so I can't comment.

Thanks much
smily_headphones1.gif

At this point I'm just about set to order a refurb CD5001 that I found, but I also happened to find a CC4001 for $20 cheaper.

Can anyone comment on the 4001? I searched and no one seems to have much info or experience regarding this cdp, which I find curious. I checked the specs again, and it uses a Cirrus Logic 4392, while the CD5001 has a Cirrus Logic CS4392. Is there any real difference between these two DAC sections?

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 7
Also consider the NAD C525BEE, another <$300 CDP. You should try to audition if you can, and in your area, it shouldn't be hard.
wink.gif

And if you don't mind buying used, Audiogon is the way to go for buying CDPs. There aren't any CD5001s on there right now but I'm sure one will show up soon.

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 7
Another vote for the NAD.

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am seriously considering an Oppo DV-980 running into a DAC. At $169 it seems to be a great bargain for a transport.

Ultimately I intend to set up something similar. I plan on running one of these cdp's to a CIA VDA2. It'll be a solid 5-6 months before the VDA2 becomes realistic though, so until then the cdp is going to see a lot of use performing both tasks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back