Red Wine Audio Isabellina
* Standalone ->
* Battery operated ->
* Optical (TOSLINK), coaxial (BNC) and USB input ->

isabellina.jpg

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
500usd extra for the optional usb input on the isabellina? thats a bit expensive!

May be.
But consider that Vinnie quite recently have set the price down from $2,500, and made a non-USB version available.

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #21 of 26
Someone already mentioned the Isabellina, but it's too expensive and I'm looking for something that's marginally portable. Scroll down to my second post in this thread for info about how I'm going to use the DAC. I can't very well carry that thing to campus on my skateboard!

Some1x, the Wavelength looks great, and I might contact Gordon, but it's a bit more than I wanted to pay for just a DAC so if I bought one of those new I'd probably be using the built-in amp as well. If the Proton were to be run from an optical input, however, it would require more modification than just the addition of an optical input. The internal pot is controlled by a volume slider on the desktop; there's no knob to control it. Also, while the DAC itself is powered by the internal lithium battery pack, a variety of its features are bus powered. So a Proton that was usable with the Zune would truly be a custom product. Since the Proton already costs more than I want to spend, this probably wouldn't be feasible for me. This makes me wonder whether or not I wouldn't be better off anyway with something along the lines of the soon-to-be-released Archos 9, which is a small slate PC with a 9" screen that runs a light version of Windows 7 and may be able to host this DAC. It's looking like my setup might turn out to be so big that I might as well just do this. It sort of seems like a waste of the JH13's portability.

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by steaxauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Archos 9, which is a small slate PC with a 9" screen that runs a light version of Windows 7 and may be able to host this DAC. It's looking like my setup might turn out to be so big that I might as well just do this. It sort of seems like a waste of the JH13's portability.

Sounds like a good idea
smily_headphones1.gif
In that case, I think Pico DAC + Amp would be an ideal all in one combo. No need for custom work.

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #23 of 26
If I got the Archos I'd go with something bigger than the pico, along the lines of the Proton, if it's any good.

I do feel like I'm going overboard, though. This is supposed to be a practical setup, but I tend to get obsessive, and I think I'm doing that again. What I may start with is just a Zune HD and a Pico Slim or RSA Shadow. I'll build a Gamma2 when I have time, and if I feel it makes a big enough improvement to be worth carrying around I'll buy a battery pack to power it and the dock. I would like to learn more about that Proton, though. It seems likely that the 9 would be able to host it, but I'm not positive. There are other UMPCs out there, too.

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #25 of 26
I'm just wondering about how the amp section would be with IEMs. Any experience, anyone? Also, I'd like to have a digital volume control, and having the amp separate from the DAC I use would be nice, so that if I want an ultraportable setup I can leave the dock and DAC behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back