Stand alone CD player recomendation
Apr 12, 2004 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Thaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
This summer I plan on succumbing to this hobby even more by purchasing some HD555's, an amp (possibly a Pimeta), some IC's, and a decent stand alone CD player.

I was wondering if you guys have any sub-$100 favorites that I could check out? I don't have a problem buying used gear, expecially if it's from Head-Fi. But, remember that $100 is the limit.

Apr 12, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 15
The sub $100 favorite seems to be the Toshiba 3950 DVD player. Though I've never heard it, not much else is talked about in this price range.

Apr 12, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Canman
The sub $100 favorite seems to be the Toshiba 3950 DVD player. Though I've never heard it, not much else is talked about in this price range.

Are you serious? I have one of those at home! Maybe I'll pick another one up for myself here at school
biggrin.gif

If you had to recommend something closest to $100, what would it be?

Apr 12, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Thaddy
Are you serious?

check out Audio Asylum for info on the 3950/3960. There is a ton of info on the Toshiba as well as a lot mods for it.

Apr 12, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by jefemeister
check out Audio Asylum for info on the 3950/3960. There is a ton of info on the Toshiba as well as a lot mods for it.

Yeah I just did a search and found tons of stuff on this little DVD player. My dad actually bought one a few weeks ago, so maybe I'll just end up getting one for myself for my place at school.

I won't be doing any mods to it at first, but maybe as I learn more and I get a set of balls, I'll break her open and see what I can do
cool.gif

Any other recommendations?

Apr 12, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 15
Perhaps a used Denon DCD-1500. It sounds fantastic to me. It is an older model that you can sometimes find used for under $100. Its original price was $700 when it was new.
280smile.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by hottyson
Perhaps a used Denon DCD-1500. It sounds fantastic to me. It is an older model that you can sometimes find used for under $100. Its original price was $700 when it was new.
280smile.gif

yeah this is a nice one. mkmelt brought one to the DC meet last time and it had a nice warm dynamic sound. I see them go on ebay every so often for around $50. Very much worth the money.

Apr 13, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Canman
yeah this is a nice one. mkmelt brought one to the DC meet last time and it had a nice warm dynamic sound. I see them go on ebay every so often for around $50. Very much worth the money.

Cool, I'll keep my eye open for one, otherwise I guess the SD-3950 will be able to hold me over.

Maybe something will turn up in the classifieds forum too
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by meat01
Amazon has them for $40 after mail in rebate.

Thanks for the heads up, my first home setup is turning out pretty good so far.

Also, you guys have been most excellent, thanks for the advice. You all deserve a round of applause
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by hottyson
280smile.gif

how does it compare to the toshiba people are raving about?

Apr 13, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by h3nG
how does it compare to the toshiba people are raving about?

I am too skeptical of the Toshiba after reading the opinions of those that have actually listened to it. Too many people are saying that it is not all that spectacular. If it is all that great, then why are there so many that are not impressed.

Therefore, I will not be looking into the Toshiba for a comparison. Not that I don't believe in giant killers. But just like Cipher in the Matrix, I just don't believe that he (it) is the one.
280smile.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #13 of 15
Apr 13, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by GlowWorm
You might want to check this out? Good luck if you can do better for a c-note.
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....lay&1085877536

Wow, I've been reading about this CD player and it seems like that's one hell of a deal! I think I might put this purchase off for a but so I can raise some more money. I really don't wanna get the SD-3950 since I'm finding more and more bad things about it's SQ so I think I'm gonna try to grab a used Marantz or Denon unit.

edit: I've been seeing the Marantz CD-67's for under $150 on ebay and Audiogon. Hopefully I can score one of those, since they seem to be highly regarded as a good budget source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back