Stagediver SD3 Vs Fischer FA-4E XB
Jan 24, 2014 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Labze

New Head-Fier
Hey

Looking for an upgrade to my sennheiser ie8's and have narrowed down the options till these 2 choice SD3 and FA-4E XB. Anyone having experience with both, that can give his or her recommendation, or people with individual experience that can help me decide? Music taste is very broad, anything from rock, to EDM, to atmospheric chill music. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 28
It seems they are completely different sounding iems one is slightly dark, bassy and very open sounding while the other is clear, detailed with punchy bass and sparkly treble; better check each thread to see which soung signature will you prefer, i can recommend you the fa 4e for being great all rounders though I've never heard the sd3

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 28
  It seems they are completely different sounding iems one is slightly dark, bassy and very open sounding while the other is clear, detailed with punchy bass and sparkly treble; better check each thread i can recommend you the fa 4e for being great all rounders though I've never heard the sd3

I've read just about every post regarding both iem's and still i have a hard time chosing.

Some say the Sd3 are too bass-y, coming from the ie8 will the sd3 give more bass? I'm looking for a iem that can handle a good deep kick, but not really boost the bass more than the ie8 already does. I do like the signature of ie8 but it borderlines being a tad too dark due to midbass boost/bloat. I appreciate a clear and open sound, but not overly so that it causes fatigue, i guess a smooth but open sound is the way to describe it.

One thing that concerns me tho, is that i've read that the FA-4 doesn't have any filter, mesh or anything between the housing so dust and earwax could easily get in. Is this a cause for concern, especially since i have a pretty rapid development of ear wax.

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 28
  I've read just about every post regarding both iem's and still i have a hard time chosing.

Some say the Sd3 are too bass-y, coming from the ie8 will the sd3 give more bass? I'm looking for a iem that can handle a good deep kick, but not really boost the bass more than the ie8 already does. I do like the signature of ie8 but it borderlines being a tad too dark due to midbass boost/bloat. I appreciate a clear and open sound, but not overly so that it causes fatigue, i guess a smooth but open sound is the way to describe it.

One thing that concerns me tho, is that i've read that the FA-4 doesn't have any filter, mesh or anything between the housing so dust and earwax could easily get in. Is this a cause for concern, especially since i have a pretty rapid development of ear wax.

The SD3 is a faux bassy iem, IMO. It delivers mid-bass quantity without sub-bass extension. The IE8 has better bass quality and texture, and reaches deeper than the SD3. I also remember the IE8 sounding more open than the SD3.

The FA-4 is capable of delivering kick, but also extends deeper and with more authority than the SD3 without the mid-bass bloom. The FA-4 also delivers a wonderfully clear and open sound signature without any notable fatiguing peaks in the highs. It's no contest for me.

As for your wax concerns, Comply sells foam tips that have a mesh guard. I believe you'll need the Tx-500 for the FA-4.

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 28

The SD3 is a faux bassy iem, IMO. It delivers mid-bass quantity without sub-bass extension. The IE8 has better bass quality and texture, and reaches deeper than the SD3. I also remember the IE8 sounding more open than the SD3.

The FA-4 is capable of delivering kick, but also extends deeper and with more authority than the SD3 without the mid-bass bloom. The FA-4 also delivers a wonderfully clear and open sound signature without any notable fatiguing peaks in the highs. It's no contest for me.

As for your wax concerns, Comply sells foam tips that have a mesh guard. I believe you'll need the Tx-500 for the FA-4.

I have the SD3 on order from Thomann since Nov 2013 and have yet to receive it due to a major cockup from the shipping company (DHL Intertnational). Thomann have now offered me a full refund and I will decide my next move (either continue with the SD3, FA-4 or go all out and get the SE846). Still deciding but threads like this helps alot.

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 28

Thanks alot, with that description it seems like no contest to me. Almost 100£ cheaper and sounds like a better signature sound for me.

Do there exist any silicone tips that comes with a mesh guard? I have used comply before, but in my experience they dampen the sound too much and they seem to fall apart rather quickly if i get the least swettiest.

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #10 of 28
  to me the fa 4e sounds better with comply tips than with any of the stock tips I have tried, my custom tips are other thing of course

Cool, well as far as i can see there is a t-500 tips included so i can give them a try, suppose their the same just without filters. I'll probrably be ordering them tomorrow, so hoping they won't dissapoint :)

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #11 of 28
I have not heard the SD3, but I have heard my fair share; including the IE80's.  The FA's are no doubt the best all around earphone I've heard to date.  I am a slight basshead, but I need clear mids and I like the sparkle; so really, I just need the full spectrum.  These are nearly as clear as the PFE232's, but still VERY clear with good timbre.  The mids are warm, soundstage is very large, the highs have a non-fatiguing sparkle, and the bass competes with any other basshead headphone I've had.  It hits the sweet spot for me in every area-not to mention they're blue; my favorite color!
Also, the FA's are about the easiest set to drive.  I have KEF M200's, and I still have to turn the volume down on my source when switching from them.  Sure, they benefit from an amp, but they do EXTREMELY well without one.  After my long adventure of buying and selling headphones, I nailed it down the the 1964ears and the FA's.  FA's won without any question.  They are fun and accurate at the same time.
I tend to prefer the silicone style tips; foam ones kinda look grungy after a white with me. I use the largest size Sony hybrids and they seem perfect to me!

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #13 of 28
I bought them about 3 or 4 months ago. I think I would fall behind on my mortgage before I gave up these headphones! I'd really like to try the UM Merlins or 3D's or Heir Audio's 5ai's. I have the new Westone's coming in the mail; the 4-drivers. I wasn't crazy about their previous; the FA 4E XB's blew them away, IMO. I wouldn't have bought the westone's if I hadn't gotten such a smokin' deal on them!:)

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #14 of 28
You probably received the new version it was developed 4 months ago they fixed the mid driver and changed the highs-mids crossover but we don't know when exactly was introduced in the market but from the description I'd say it's the new version. I had the w40 for a while when I had the old fa 4e and thought the fa 4e(old) were much better i thintk the new fa 4e are noticeable better than the old so...

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #15 of 28
if I did receive a newer one, then I really lucked out then!  I had read a comparison on Head fi that I can't find for the life of me now, but it compared it to other 4 drivers and in the end decided on the FA's because of the bass.  Wish I could find that because I thought it was pretty accurate.
I'm not done in my insane, obsessed, irrational, and expensive hunt for the best headphone, and I would love to hear about a comparison between the Unique Melody universal series vs them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back