Stacker II- Progress? Availability?
Sep 13, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either way I think folks would be in for a treat...This is by far his finest amp and it would still be a steal if it went commercial.

The sound quality for the $ you spend on it will be highly justified.

It all depends of the price point. If it sells around 2k-4k$, we can forget about the "best bang for your buck" and few DIYers here will be ever able to afford and hear one.

I would be in however to pay an "extra" for Alex when ordering the PCBs.

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #33 of 44
I am not good at describing sound with words the best I can do is say it was easily the best amp I've heard, this was with a big Octal tube. A lot of people think Octal tubes sound better and they haven't showed up enough in DIY head-phone amps. As far as speaker amps most have dismissed hybrids as usually delivering the worst of SS and the worst of tubes. This amp however Runelight gets the best of the tube with very little SS influence. Its really a Single Ended tube amp for headphones that doesn't cost $8k to build like the old legendary Moth amps.

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #34 of 44
Where can I find the schematics of Stacker II? I was searching a lot in Stacker II threads on head-fi and I haven't seen one.

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by krisio06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can I find the schematics of Stacker II? I was searching a lot in Stacker II threads on head-fi and I haven't seen one.

x2. i would P2P the amp without pre-fab boards anyway.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #37 of 44
Ok, I cannot wait to see it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers...

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #38 of 44
Without seeing schematics, anyone know what are the design features that set it apart from the SOHA/SOHA II, Millet Hybrid and Akaido?

Higher B+ and CCS bias?
DC coupled? DRPP or SRPP or SRSE?
BJT or MOSFET buffer? How many mA or Watt into class A?
What tube family will be compatible?

I'm just curious. And that will keep us drooling
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #40 of 44
I've just read the entire thread. Look very promising. Totem pole input gain stage. 100V to 150V adjustable plate voltage per triode section (200V to 300V B+). Dual triode noval and octal tubes support. A tube roller dream!
smily_headphones1.gif

The BJT output buffer seems, to me, a bit complexe (reference: schematic attached to Runeight initial post). There was at the time some design questions about the buffer inputZ. I'm pretty certain the latest minor reworks concern the output buffer.

Obviously it won't be a project for someone new in the hobby (high DC voltage implied). But if the Stacker II public release ever happens it will be a great success, something like the B22.

Sep 17, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #41 of 44
If you want to get a feel for what makes this amp special, google SET amp. There is a whole subculture of enthusiast who feel that the Single Ended Triode amp is the best way to listen to music. Moth built a few in the 90's but they required huge expensive iron, the SS buffer in this amp substitues all this iron and because it has a huge input impedance it doesn't influence the tube the way most hybrids can.

Sep 17, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #42 of 44
Oct 16, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #44 of 44
Can anyone else log into Alex's Stacker II forum? I haven't been able too in a while and have been unable to get in contact with him. I would really like to complete this project. Any help would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back