SSD - Fi
Oct 15, 2008 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
I admit it. I'm hooked.

Ever since I installed a 1.8" 16GB Samsung SLC SSD drive in my Fujitsu P1610, I'm simply addicted to the ridiculously fast access speeds. Not to mention the 30 second boot up time. Write speeds certainly aren't making me forget about my Velociraptor, but I can't possibly cram one of those in my tiny Fujitsu P1610, let alone get any real battery life.

Oh, and as an added headphone listening bonus. Silence. Total silence. It's so weird to have a computer with absolutely no noise whatsoever. When doing light tasks, like surfing and listening to music, my P1610 doesn't spin up the CPU fan. I have to crank the LCD up to maximum, which kills the battery life, but the inverter for the LCD's light makes an irritating high pitched squealing noise that I didn't really notice until I swapped out the HDD for SSD.

So, now I have a 2.5" 64GB Samsung SLC SSD drive on it's way. My Toshiba R25 Tablet PC is going to get some SSD loving too. And this SATA II SSD drive is much faster than the 16GB one I have in my Fujitsu.

I was going to wait for the Intel X25-M, but there are shortages and they are going for stupid expensive prices now. Way to go, Intel. I'll definitely end up with an Intel based SSD drive, but not for some time now, until they get those prices under control.

-Ed

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 53
Really nice!
I certainly plan to go SSD for my next computer. Several benefits:
* Fast access speed.
* No noise.
* Less power consumption.

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really nice!
I certainly plan to go SSD for my next computer. Several benefits:
* Fast access speed.
* No noise.
* Less power consumption.

For my Fujitsu P1610, power savings was very minimal, because 1.8" HDD's use so little power anyways. But I'm pretty sure I'll see a bigger savings in power with the 2.5" Drive.

Also, I actually lost battery life because I now crank my screen brightness up to max more because, I notice the inverter buzzing a lot more since the rest of the computer is dead silent. LOL, you win some, lose some. But it's worth it.

-Ed

Oct 16, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 53
I've been looking for a 1.8" SSD. I'm using a compactflash now. LOL. Where did you get yours and how much was it?

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #7 of 53
May I ask where you purchase your SSD drives?

I'm looking for a good deal on an SLC SSD, 2.5" (or 1.8" that can be rigged), IDE drive.

--Chris

Oct 16, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 53
Edwood. Guess power consumption benefits (if none) depends on the HDD you replace, especially if its a 1.8 or 2.5" unit.
Still looks like there are more pro's than con's though.
regular_smile .gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 53
I splurged for the SSD option on my MacBook Air. Write speeds are not so hot, but cold boots and application starts are absurdly fast. I will definitely get a SSD as boot drive when I upgrade my tower to a Nehalem Mac Pro.

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 53
Just out of curiosity what are the read and write speeds like on the 1.8" SSD I have not seen a review of a 1.8" yet.

And the Intel X25-M really sets the pace even based on MLC it still tops the performance charts due to a more efficient controller, but the price is incredible as well $600 auch
frown.gif

SSDs are way nice perfect for use in laptops / nettops etc.. since they are more rugged than normal hard drives.

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
remember to get MLC drives, not SLC,
SLC might be faster, buy MLC has less sector density, so it will have lower failiure rates,

Interesting... I've not read that yet. Makes me curious to learn more because so many people have told me that MLC is not good for a system drive.

Can't wait for SSD to become cheaper and more standard so all the differences get ironed out and it's not so confusing.

--Chris

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #13 of 53
SLC is relatively faster and expensive than MLC. That's why SLC is ideal for bootdisk if your can afford and you need that little bit of advantage at speed. I don't know about error rates, but I think memory error is not a big deal any more since they're using block relocation technology.

SSD is bit expensive for me, and hey, my 7 year old HDD is still going strong. But some people are willing to pay the new technology for its obvious advantage over HDD. Since SSD is memory product, I recommend you samsung products over any other brand. Other makers may able to offer faster SDD at bit cheaper price though, samsung knows this stuffs better than any other.

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking for a 1.8" SSD. I'm using a compactflash now. LOL. Where did you get yours and how much was it?

eBay. From an Australian seller. Will end up costing about $95. It's cheaper if you buy 10 at a time. The seller has tons of them. Want to go in on a group buy? Would end up costing about $60 each plus shipping. Well, depending on how the exchange rate is, it's been fluctuating a lot lately.

-Ed

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
remember to get MLC drives, not SLC,
SLC might be faster, buy MLC has less sector density, so it will have lower failiure rates,

Interesting!
I know nothing about these two different drives, so guess its out there finding some more information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back