SS vs. tube
Aug 2, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #16 of 29
The very simplified answer is that when it comes to harmonic distortion, odd-order harmonics are generally viewed as more troubling when present than even-order harmonics. Because even-order harmonics are consonant with the music, they are much less objectionable. This is why a SS amp with a spec of .1% THD can sound far worse than a tube amp with 1%, if most of the SS amp's THD is composed of odd-order harmonics.

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #17 of 29
Personally... I think the Graham Slee Solo is oustanding for a SS amp, especially with Senns - very rich, warm, organic and tube-like, yet having all the great qualities of a SS amp. Very convenient not to have to mess with tubes (i.e. the added cost, the selection process, etc.).

But... I still prefered the slightly more tubey qualities of the DV332 - though the Solo may well have had slightly greater clarity and detail.

The big drawback of the Solo is its price (which is high + you lose on the exchange rate), and that its not the best with low impedance phones.

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #18 of 29
I regret selling the Graham Slee "Green" Solo Amp. As Gradofan2 indicates above it had great affinity for the Senns, but more so w/ my current favorite dynamic can the AKG K501.

I miss it so much I got in touch w/ Graham, and I am now awating his latest creation.
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I regret selling the Graham Slee "Green" Solo Amp. As Gradofan2 indicates above it had great affinity for the Senns, but more so w/ my current favorite dynamic can the AKG K501.

I miss it so much I got in touch w/ Graham, and I am now awating his latest creation.
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Yeah... you had it at a "bargain price" - the Green Solo Beta version. If I had bought it at that price... I might have kept it - but, not at $900. It's just not that good.

Graham really needs to move production to China, and drop the price to around $400-500. He'd likely sell so many more, that he'd make more money... though his margins on each unit would be less.

So... you prefer the K501s to the HD600s and RS-1s? I'm a bit surprised - I wouldn't think they'd sound as rich and organic as the HD580/600s (new version) and RS-1s, or the D5000s.

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah... you had it at a "bargain price" - the Green Solo Beta version. If I had bought it at that price... I might have kept it - but, not at $900. It's just not that good.

Graham really needs to move production to China, and drop the price to around $400-500. He'd likely sell so many more, that he'd make more money... though his margins on each unit would be less.

So... you prefer the K501s to the HD600s and RS-1s? I'm a bit surprised - I wouldn't think they'd sound as rich and organic as the HD580/600s (new version) and RS-1s, or the D5000s.

I have had two (2) HD600 and one (1) HD580, all three are gone! Their sound never caught on with me, even though I tried re-cables by Headphile Senn V2 in BlackSilver, Moon Audion Silver Dragon, RAL, RnB52, Zu, etc.

Using the Green Solo I preferred the K501, no doubt about. As far as a $400 amp by Graham, well lets say ...
very_evil_smiley.gif
Can you say Novo?

Aug 2, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had two (2) HD600 and one (1) HD580, all three are gone! Their sound never caught on with me, even though I tried re-cables by Headphile Senn V2 in BlackSilver, Moon Audion Silver Dragon, RAL, RnB52, Zu, etc.

Using the Green Solo I preferred the K501, no doubt about. As far as a $400 amp by Graham, well lets say ...
very_evil_smiley.gif
Can you say Novo?

OK... I see...

I guess he's about to send out a couple of beta test units.

If it sounds as good as the Solo with both low and high impedance phones - I'll be trying one.

And... if it does... he'll sell all of them he can make at that price.

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #24 of 29
And you both like the K501s as well as, or better than the K601s, and K701s?

All the reviews, I've seen suggest the K501s, don't have much bass, or rich mids, as Senns, Grados, ATHs, Denons, etc.

Then I see folks like "ole Doc" move from the K701s to the HD600s.

I guess it all must be in matching the set up to the phones... and... who knows what else.

Its all very confusing... and... tempting.

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #25 of 29
I think the K501 (or the K701 for that matter) definitely benefits from a tube amp. With the Bada PH12 (hybrid), the K501 give ample bass that can be surprising deep and punchy at times, but they'll never be a bassy headphone. Their wonderfully coherent midrange make the K501, together with tubes, very, very special. : )

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

All the reviews, I've seen suggest the K501s, don't have much bass, or rich mids, as Senns, Grados, ATHs, Denons, etc.

I guess it all must be in matching the set up to the phones... and... who knows what else.

Try the K501 with the svets and M8100 or tung-sol tubes in your DV332, I don't think you'll complain about lack of bass with that combination. I'm not familiar with the AT lineup, but I prefer the mids of the K501 over the senn, grados, and denon in my collection. The strength of the vintage AKG sound is the mids.

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Bass ain't everything. There is good bass on the K-501, but you need to give it enough power and then it only sounds right with acoustic music. It does not do well with amplified bass guitars, synths, and that sort of thing. If it's something like a live recording of a plucked bass, the K-501 is almost the best there is. The Beyerdynamic DT48 is like that, too, except it has a narrower soundstage and is slightly brighter than the K-501.

I think AKG went in the wrong direction when it ditched the K-501 and K-1000 and brought out the K-601 and K-701. I haven't heard the K-601 yet, but the K-701 does not approach the musicality of the K-501 and K-1000. The K-701 is good enough and I do like listening to it, but the older AKGs are the ones to get.

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #28 of 29
I love the sound out of the K501, specially after I had them re-cable by APuresound w/ a V3 dual entry and Furutech 1/4" plug. I was able to get together w/ a fellow Head-Fier and compare the stock K501 w/ the V3 re-cabled K501. It was a no contest the dynamics, soundstage, detail, clarity, etc was much better on the re-cabled one.

I have a K701 also re-cabled by Alex of APureSound. Once again I was able to compare it w/ an stock unit and I much prefer the re-cabled one. When I compare the re-cable K501 and the re-cable K701 I much prefer the K501.

I listen mostly to Jazz and perhaps that is why I lean towards the K501. I will tell you that the Beyer DT880 250 ohm (2003 model) is another superb sounding can. IMO it is superior to the 2005 model and yes I have compared them side by side. When I get some money of to Alex it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back