SRH840 straight from iPod?
Jan 24, 2011 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

haarism

100+ Head-Fier
Hey I am considering upgrading from my srh440s and I am using nothing more than a 4th generation ipod touch, now I'm considering the ath-m50 or the srh840 and I was wondering if it was worth spending the extra 50 or so on the 840s

the music I listen to generally consists of (in order of frequency) alternative, indie, progressive metal, classical, jazz and very little rap and hip hop, no electronic and related

so what is my best option?

if it matters im considering getting a fiio e7 sometime in the future, however probably not for portable use

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 27
Why not use the e7 for portable use?  Too bulky?  FiiO includes a band to strap the device to an iPod no problem, and the LOD cable only costs a couple bucks and it does a decent job.

The m50s will be easier to drive, but will have quite a different sound signature from your 440s.

If you love the 440s, Stick with Shure and go 840.... they are a little harder to drive out of an iPod but the e7 will give it plenty of juice.  If you find no comfort issues with the 440s I would say it is less likely the comfort issues of the 840s mentioned around here on head-fi apply as much.  I have not worn both of these headphones to confirm this.

Also, it might be worth your time to note the release of the SRH 940 this spring: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/533716/shure-srh-940

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 27
well the 840 will be a little up 200 plus another 100 for the e7 and I really don't want to spend that much money at the moment, though I might

im assuming the 940 will be higher end and more expensive and thus harder to drive than the 840?

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 27

Quote:
well the 840 will be a little up 200 plus another 100 for the e7 and I really don't want to spend that much money at the moment, though I might

im assuming the 940 will be higher end and more expensive and thus harder to drive than the 840?

More expensive, yes.

Harder drive.... we'll see.  On paper, no.  That doesn't mean too much though

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 27
Given your musical preferences, the M50 might not be the best choice.  I know it is a great all-rounder, but I have also heard them described as bassy.

Sennheiser has a new portable headphone I have been super curious about...I feel like I could pull the trigger any minute to fulfill that curiosity. (PX 360)

Could give them a shot even though there isn't much out there and return them if they aren't what you're looking for.  Maybe not the best advice, but just a thought :D

I have only been able to find one head-fier who owns them, and he described them as bass-light (still accurate, just lacking impact) with a lot of mid and treble detail.  They are REALLY light, given that my Sennheiser HD 448s weight more than them.... and these are feathers.
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_mp3_classic-line_502380

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 27
get M50, which is much better than 840. shure is not known to make good headphone. they usually make IEM in most of their history. ATH is one of most renown manufacture in japan. 

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 27

Quote:
get M50, which is much better than 840. shure is not known to make good headphone. they usually make IEM in most of their history. ATH is one of most renown manufacture in japan. 

lol...
You can check several threads, the shure's are well regarded here. They have great full size hp's. 

Now, talking about the M50's mod. I've never tried it, so i cant comment. 

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 27

Quote:

i simply have to respectfully disagree with ziweiwu.
i owned both the M50 and SRH840 at the same time.
for the first few hundred hours, i actually preferred the M50.
it had a more relaxed and involving sound.

but, after quite a bit of head time with both 'phones, the 840 started pulling ahead in many ways.
while it started out as a somewhat boring and flat-sounding headphone, it loosened up with the right source and amp.
and, overall, provided a more linear, more balanced, and more detailed sound than the M50.

no matter which mods i attempted, i always had the feeling that vocals through the M50 were hooded, or veiled.
this was very slight, but enough to bother a vocal enthusiast such as myself.
the SRH840, on the other hand, presents a very clear and realistic vocal range.

also, if i might add, the 840 has a reputation as a bass-shy headphone.
this is only true if you are acclimated to the quantity of bass produced by the M50 or similar cans.
i personally believe the 840 to have a more neutral or accurate quantity of bass.

you really can't go wrong with either headphone.  i liked them both quite a bit.
but, i kept the 840 in the long run, and gave the M50 to my dad.

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #12 of 27
hmm so, I have the 440's is it a huge difference between them and the 840s?
and I am a drummer so naturally my ears are trained to hearing the drums a bit more, that counts as bass im assuming? will I have an engaging experience with the 840s?

Jan 28, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #13 of 27

Quote:

I couldn't disagree more. From my own experience with my SRH440 and based on the impressions of HeadRoom and many, many Head-Fi'ers, Shure makes excellent headphones. Microphone manufacturers tend to have an edge in this category, likely because of their market segment (there's demand for accurate, competent monitoring devices while recording), and also because on a basic, mechanical level the technology behind manufacturing and tweaking miniature dynamic transducers and microphone diaphragms overlaps. Beyerdynamic is another such example of a company that excels at both.

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #14 of 27

Quote:
what if I used the m50 balance mod?

can anyone vouch for its awesomeness?

It didn't do anything significant for me. Maybe it tamed the sub bass some, which was exactly the opposite of what I was trying to accomplish. The M50, IMO, has a thick upper bass/lower midrange area, and the balance mod did nothing to ameliorate that. The one thing about the M50 bass I remember very distinctly was its lack of speed, and little bits of tape aren't going to salvage that. The SRH440 is definitely more nimble here--in fact, I would say that's one of the 440's overall strengths is the speed, control, and texture of its bass. It's not Grado speed, but very little is. I can't speak for the SRH840 in this (or any) regard, as I've never heard one.

I also remember that kick drums were ridiculously present with the M50. Testament to excellent sub bass extension for sure, but IMO excessive.

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #15 of 27

Quote:
Quote:

I couldn't disagree more. From my own experience with my SRH440 and based on the impressions of HeadRoom and many, many Head-Fi'ers, Shure makes excellent headphones. Microphone manufacturers tend to have an edge in this category, likely because of their market segment (there's demand for accurate, competent monitoring devices while recording), and also because on a basic, mechanical level the technology behind manufacturing and tweaking miniature dynamic transducers and microphone diaphragms overlaps. Beyerdynamic is another such example of a company that excels at both.

And Sennheiser, and MB Quart/German Maestro (started in mics)...

I agree with you about the microphone bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back